I have not haunted this board for some time, but I can assure you I am a seasoned user of TMG. 

Could someone please assist with this conundrum with the AGE of the Principles.

In a standard marriage tag I use the sentence - [P] married [PO] <[PARO]> <[DD]> <[L]><, when they were [A1E] and [A2E] old><. The ceremony was witnessed by [WO]><. [M]>

Note there are no witnesses entered for this marriage, The Captain does not have parents entered into the DB,  he only has a year of birth not his birthday, and there is no memo text. I am confident these elements are working as intended,

For the Bride the output is - She married Captain Thomas Maybee on Thursday, 28 March 1850 in Melville Street Chapel, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, when they were 32 years and 26 years, 9 months and 14 days old

For the Groom - He married Fanny Cato, daughter of Joseph Cato and Frances (Fanny) Cox, on Thursday, 28 March 1850 in Melville Street Chapel, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, when they were 32 years and 26 years, 9 months and 14 days old.

I change just 2 characters in the sentence to this - [P] married [PO] <[PARO]> <[DD]> <[L]><, when they were [A1] and [A2] old><. The ceremony was witnessed by [WO]><. [M]>

This is the new output - no ages appear at all...........

Bride - Fanny Cato married Captain Thomas Maybee on Thu. 28 Mar 1850 in Melville Street Chapel, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.

Groom - Captain Thomas Maybee married Fanny Cato, daughter of Joseph Cato and Frances (Fanny) Cox, on Thu. 28 Mar 1850 in Melville Street Chapel, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.

The name/pronoun use is not an issue, it is working as intended.

There are a couple of issues I need help with.

(1) I am trying to get just the year of the age of the bride and groom. Terry tells me (http://tmg.reigelridge.com/variables.htm) [A1] and [A2] produces the age in years for First Principle and Second Principle.  He also tells me [A1E] and [A2E] produces the full age in years, months, days, but may not depending upon the date of birth and marriage as entered.  As you can see the latter works as he says but the former does not. 

If there is no alternative, I can live with the exact age in my sentence but would prefer not to.

I cannot for the life of me see why this would not work. Note that if either party had less information for birth date, the age is truncated as expected.

(2) I want the ages to follow the order of the names.  At the moment in both options above the Groom's age is first and the Bride's is second.  When I access the marriage tag I can see that the Principals change depending upon my access point, as intended.  Again I can sort of live with this, by rewording my output to The groom was... and the bride was  .....

I would really like to fix at least one or the other of these issues, as both together just makes the narrative too clunky.

For my testing I edited my sentences by deleting just the 2 characters. input and output data are cut/paste from the actual DB.

This couple is an example, all other marriage tags are the same.

If I modify the second sentence to...

[P] married [PO] <[PARO]> <[DD]> <[L]><, when they were [A] and [AO] old><. The ceremony was witnessed by [WO]><. [M]>

It works fine for me. You want the age variables in the same order as the principals irrespective of who the output is for and the above accomplishes that.

All of the dates are complete, right? Read help about the date requirements.

Jim, you are correct, your sentence worked.  It is early here, and I have not had my cuppa yet. I will compare what you gave me to what I had, so I can understand what I did wrong, in an hour or so. Thanks.

Not all my dates are complete. I sometimes have no birth data, a date range or an about date.  In which case I want that sentence part to be skipped.

More info - some of my birth dates are just the year.  Your sentence skips the age if any date is NOT a full date - and I can see that this is 'as intended' by Bob.

This is more than OK. I will set up a marriage version 2 tag with [P] married [PO] <[PARO]> <[DD]> <[L]><, The groom was [A1E] and the bride [A2E]><. The ceremony was witnessed by [WO]><. [M]>).  This produces the following when the groom has only his YOB recorded.

Robert Fields married Anna Abbs, daughter of Plane Abbs and Frances Everett, on Fri. 24 Dec 1847 in All Saints' Church, Sheringham, Norfolk, England, The groom was 23 years and the bride 21 years, 8 months and 25 days.

Anna Abbs married Robert Fields, son of William Fields, on Fri. 24 Dec 1847 in All Saints' Church, Sheringham, Norfolk, England, The groom was 23 years and the bride 21 years, 8 months and 25 days.

Your sentence will be the main one (ie I altered the only Marriage tag I had to your sentence, then I added version 2, which of course is not allocated to anyone). I will have a play with that once I understand why your version works and mine does not. I am thinking in the 2nd option I should ONLY state the age of the focus principal

something like - Anna Abbs married Robert Fields, son of William Fields, on Fri. 24 Dec 1847 in All Saints' Church, Sheringham, Norfolk, England, when she was 21

I will gradually change some people (those who have only the year as a birth date) over to the new tag, even if it remains as is. 

This solution has the added benefit of varying the output, something to be valued I think. A few pedantly fully spelled out ages is a small price to pay for that variety.

SHIRLEY

Edited by elricks
additional confirmation