Quish

collaborating when entering data

Does anyone have experience when two people want to both be able to enter data over the internet into a stored project? Do any of the present collaboration programs work for this?

The only client genealogy database manager that I know of that has a collaboration module is Ancestral Quest. AQ has both Windows and macOS versions.

https://www.ancquest.com/index.htm

The collaboration module has the tools to maintain and manage the database for multiple collaborators on a server.

I would think that HRE might allow such collaboration based on the original concepts assuming that it reaches a release stage.

Since I don't have the current version, I can't really comment. Shared events have been added (not in Basics version). I don't know how events are sorted. AQ is a perfectly competent program with the unique collaboration feature. Try the free Basics version that acts as a trial. There is a page comparing the Basics version with the paid version.

Can TMG or parts there of be stored in the cloud (such as Drop Box) and then be accessed from to different physical location and then be added to or changed  as long as two people are not working at the same time?

TMG can be used by multiple users at the same time on a network.  Only one user can edit a record as TMG “locks” any open records.  There may be other “limits” such as how many users can access the same project - this may be more a limit of bandwidth though.  My wife and I used a local network for a number of years in this way and had little "conflict" of needing to access the same record -- mostly working on different people and families.

To my knowledge, not many users have used the feature.  Most of those I have heard of were on a local network (same building and often same room).  At least two users have used TMG for collaboration being 1600 miles apart.  One user described their experience in 2005 with TMG v5x in an article at www.tmgtips.com/tmg5_network.htm. 

While the article was written in 2005 for TMG v5x, the discussion should be comparable to al later versions of TMG.  Mostly, it requires that there is a base (host) with one user and other user(s) accessing TMG remotely.  The article was written for a much earlier version of Windows, but should work with all later versions of Windows.  My wife and I used the local network method for a few years up to Windows XP or Windows 7.  

As for the Cloud, I don’t think that would work although I don’t know that for sure.  I do know that any time that a Cloud service is synchronized with the TMG data folders, there is potential for data corruption as TMG keeps project files open at all times during a session.  Cloud services expect files to be closed during a time of synchronization.  This is not a problem with most programs as there is only one file involved.  With TMG, there are about 80 files and a single edited Tag can cause four or more files to be updated when a Tag or other record is edited.  So, if one file is updated when a Cloud update is done, the other files are not and the Cloud backup then are corrupt as three files had not been updated yet.  For this reason, it is always recommended that TMG folder not be in Cloud coverage.  The recommendation is that TMG operate outside the Cloud and the TMG backup (SQZ) files be copied to a folder covered by the Cloud.