Lee

Un-install v6

Hi Jim –

Ran into an odd one today.  I decided to open an old project that I had not used in a long time (version 6 !!).   I wen to import it into v9 and could not find a backup, but did find the project on an old external drive.  Then I had to install v6 to make a backup which then imported fine.  Since I now did not need to keep v6 on my system, I tried uninstalling it.  That seemed to go well for about 30 seconds and I got the message that the Install.log could not be found.

I know I can use Windows Explorer to delete the folders and files of v6, but Windows Registry still has the entries.  Do you know a way to re-create the Install.log or get around that lack.  I think I know at least one place in the registry, but I’m leery of deleting entries about which I’m not sure.  I’d rather just let the UNWISE program do the work, but it needs the Install.log.

Any ideas?

Lee

OK, I have tried installing again (and again).  I have found the Install.log file under the sysdata folder.  I made a copy and opened it and cannot see any problem with opening.  Perusing the file, I don't see anything that appears (to me) to be out of the ordinary although there are some entries that seem "off".  Even those could be the result of a second install.  Some entries indicate files are overwritten as would be expected.  Others are less explicit as to that. 

In looking at the Install.log and comparing it to the Windows registry, I find some corresponding entries and others I don't.  I'll be the first to admit that there is a lot about the Registry that I don't know.  Still, I have messed with it enough to have some idea of its make-up.  

I tried copying the Install.log from the sysdata subfolder to the Program Files (x86)/The Master Genealogist folder and trying the uninstall again with the same luck.  Entries in the Install.log about itself always mention the sysdata folder, so I expect that sysdata is where it is supposed to be found.  The error message just says the file could not be opened, so it must be that something about the file itself is bad.  But, if so, why don't I have a problem opening with Notepad?

This is a fairly new computer (Win10-64), having copied most of my stuff from the older system (which is still operating as I have not finished setting up the new one --  I'm slow <G>).  

Out of curiosity, I looked at the old system (Win 10 - 32), and v6 was still installed -- but it was v6.5 which surprised me.  I uninstalled it (no problems), and installed v6.12 using the same disk I had used on the new system. I re-booted, and opened TMGv6 without any major problem.  It noted that Sessionkeeper.dbf could not be found, but I canceled and opened SAMPLE with no problem and the opened another project that I still had there with no problem.  I exited TMG and then uninstalled v6 -- again with no problem.

So, what is happening with v6 on the new computer?

Lee

You should never install TMG6 under Program Files when running Windows 10. You could install it directly to the C: drive or to a custom folder on the C: drive.

C:\The Master Genealogist v6 (whatever the default program folder is named)

C:\Temp\The Master Genealogist v6