Sign in to follow this  
Susan Moore

Source Reminders

One member of our user group cannot get the source reminder to display when she is adding a citation. In an effort to resolve this issue we have run repair, reinstalled TMG, reset the preferences to default and unchecked cue cards. She does not have many programs on her computer other than TMG, Microsoft Office, Maleware Bytes and Belarc Advisor. I have all of these same programs without ever having this problem. Any suggestions on how to activate her source reminders?

There is an option under Data Entry to "Open Reminder window automatically" but that also does the tag reminders. If that isn't it, are her tag reminders working properly? Does her citation reminder show up when she clicks on the green lightbulb (or whatever that icon is)?

I would guess that the reminder window is hidden behind the other windows. After clicking the green reminder button, click Window menu / Center the current window and see what happen. You can also hide the reminder window if the Citation window covers it.

If Center the Current Window doesn't reveal the reminder, I suggest making the main TMG window full screen, then position the Citation window way off to the side before trying to open the Reminder so it will not be covered by the Citation window. I've found hidden windows to behave normally after being found this way and clicking on them to bring them to the front.

I could not get the centering to work and instead closed all but the Detail window and reduced the size to make sure that I knew if a window was opening up. There were no previously hidden windows. I tested 2 different tags to try to explain better what was happening.

The Marriage Tag has a Tag Reminder. When I edit the Marriage Tag the Tag Reminder shows. When I edit the Citation the Source Reminder does not show.

The Obituary does not have a Tag Reminder. When I edit the Obituary Tag no Tag Reminder shows because there is not one. When I edit the Citation no Source Reminder shows.

The Tag Reminder works correctly. The Source Reminder does not work correctly.

Any suggestions?

Hi Susan,

Terry and Jim have made some good suggestions.  But in an effort to be sure I understand the issue I need more information.  There are two different Reminders which can be defined for Sources: A Reminder for the overall Source Type (e.g. Book), and a Reminder for a specific Source Record (e.g. a specific book).

• Which has a non-empty Reminder: Source Type, Source Record, or both?
  • [Forget this, I see you said earlier it was green.]  When the user edits the Citation is the light bulb icon alongside the Source # in the Citation subwindow Green or White?
  • When you say "cannot get the source reminder to display" which of the following occurs when you click on the icon:
  1. Nothing happens
  2. A Reminder subwindow opens but it is empty (if this what does the title of the subwindow say)
  3. An error subwindow opens claiming there is no reminder for this source.

We do want to try  to help,

If you click the yellow plus sign to bring up the Tag Type List and click on the Other tab Reminder this is what I have been calling the Tag Reminder.

If you click on the Tag and bring up the Tag Entry screen and then click a Citation that is what I have been calling the Source Reminder. This appears on the Tag Type and also on the Source Supplemental tab with possibly some more additions.

We do not create the Tag Reminder, these are by default. We do create the Source Reminder and sometimes modify it to be a little more specific. This Source Reminder is the reminder that we are trying to get to display.

When edited the light bulb stays green.

When we click on the light bulb icon nothing happens.

Yes, I am looking for help because this is a problem that no one else in the User Group is having.

Thanks.

Any additional suggestions? Is it possible that the file containing these source reminders has been corrupted? The user is still stuck without access to this helpful information.

Reminders are stored in the memo files associated with the appropriate data tables. So it is entirely possible that the memo file associated with the source table has corrupted memos. However, there should have been an error when TMG tried to open a source with a damaged reminder memo. This would be for specific reminders and not for all source reminders.

You need to send me the source table (.dbf) and the memo file (.fpt) so that I can take a look and do maintenance on both the database table and the memo file. The source table is the 'M' table.

Make a .ZIP archive of the two files. If the .ZIP file is too large to email, you'll need to upload the .ZIP so that I can download it.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Still having problems. Since the posting has gotten long, here is a summary.

One member of our user group cannot get the source reminder to display when she is adding a citation. This reminder is part of the source definition on the supplemental tab. If the tag reminders exist (tag type definition on the other tab in reminder), these work properly.

In an effort to resolve this issue we have run repair, reinstalled TMG, reset the preferences to default and unchecked cue cards. Jim Byram cleaned the *M.dbf and *M.fpt files and these were used to replace the files in the project.

I am still looking for help because this is a problem that no one else in the User Group is having.

Thanks

Susan,

Thanks for the clarificaton of the Reminders you mean.

As this is happening for only one person, there must be something different about their setup.

The following is "clutching at straws" and is dangerous unless done very carefully, but may be worth a try.  I am "guessing" that the Reminder window may be opening off the screen somewhere.

BACKUP the Project first.

In TMG, click on the menu Help, then Access Folders. Record what folder is the "User program data folder" (second line).

Now (IMPORTANT!!!) completely exit the TMG program.

Now use Windows to browse to that folder.  Find the file "app.ini".  MAKE A BACKUP COPY.

Now open "app.ini" in a TEXT editor (e.g. Notepad) and scroll down to find the entry:

frmcitation21HintTLHW=..some numbers...

Replace the numbers (no spaces) with:  =0,0,270,375,15790320

Save the app.ini file AS TEXT.

Now open TMG as see if the Reminder shows.  If no help, restore the backup copy of app.ini.

Let me know if this helps,

Michael

Susan,

Thanks for the clarificaton of the Reminders you mean.

As this is happening for only one person, there must be something different about their setup.

The following is "clutching at straws" and is dangerous unless done very carefully, but may be worth a try.  I am "guessing" that the Reminder window may be opening off the screen somewhere.

BACKUP the Project first.

In TMG, click on the menu Help, then Access Folders. Record what folder is the "User program data folder" (second line).

Now (IMPORTANT!!!) completely exit the TMG program.

Now use Windows to browse to that folder.  Find the file "app.ini".  MAKE A BACKUP COPY.

Now open "app.ini" in a TEXT editor (e.g. Notepad) and scroll down to find the entry:

frmcitation21HintTLHW=..some numbers...

Replace the numbers (no spaces) with:  =0,0,270,375,15790320

Save the app.ini file AS TEXT.

Now open TMG as see if the Reminder shows.  If no help, restore the backup copy of app.ini.

Let me know if this helps,

Michael

NOTE: Never work with, modify, or restore the app.ini file when TMG is running.

Edited by Michael Hannah
Added tthe warning

Thank you so much. I was easily able to follow your directions and the source reminders work just like they should.

She is very happy to have her TMG fully functioning again.

Thank you,

Susan