Lee

Language Relationship Translations

In the group of strings beginning with Relationship in the Language file (Strings.dbf). there are some 1230 strings that seem to be in a certain format.  A few of the strings are:
     Relationship (#/##/-1/####/#####/F/Short): #####ggranddaughter
     Relationship (#/##/1/####/#####/F/Long): 1st cousin #### times removed
     Relationship (50/49/48/1/-1/M/Long): 48th cousin 1 time removed

Specifically, what are the values within the parentheses?  The first three would probably be the number of generations, but what is the difference?  The next two would seem to be related to the “removed” amount and the direction of the removal.  The next would be the gender of the person.  The last seems to permit both the long (verbose) and short (abbreviated) description of the relationship. 

Finally, those showing the “#” characters might be a provision for relationships beyond 50 generations.

But, am I even in the right neighborhood on this?

Lee

Lee,

As you know, when this was asked on the TMG list I was unable to answer all of this.  However from the examples the meaning of the hash (#) seems clear.  Field one will have only one hash, field two will have two, etc.  Then the output text will use the hashes as variables to output the "number" which TMG calculated for the field with that many hashes.  And I would agree with your guess that these templates are only used if there is not already a template for that specific set of numbers in the fields, such as larger numbers of generations.

At least that seems to be their purpose.  As for the formula for the first five fields, one could probably figure it out by careful analysis of the examples.

Michael

Michael -

As you say, one can mostly figure out the first five fields.  I feel the first few fields are degrees of consanguinity.  However, I am insure, but think that there are different kinds of consanguinity (as defined by civil law and church law) and how the degrees are calculated.  So. there may be subtle differences in the fields and what they mean.

Lee