So I upgraded to TMG 9 a while back.  I have multiple projects and I recently started to work in a project that I had not really worked in since the upgrade.  The issues I found led me to look closer at my other projects and it was then that I found that all of the other projects did not list Tags for the individual census', ie 1880, 1900, 1910 etc.  Each project seemed to have a select few of various census tags. This led me to research and try to figure out how to add the missing tags in the projects. I keep going down the infamous "rabbit hole" while researching and trying to figure out what to do.  I may have it figured out but I still have a few issues in trying to master the process (despite reading a gazillion help topics). 

First off I am in the advanced mode for data entry.  When I was getting ready to add the missing census' I did a comparison to see how the existing census tags were set up in my other projects.  I found multiple differences but I think I can do the add/copy with only a few issues to resolve.  One...the first screen on the tag has a field "Gedcom"  on it.  That field entry varies (CENS, CE9, CE19) on the existing entries.  My question-should that field be the same for the existing census tags as well as the new ones that I want to enter?  Two...I played around copying and adding in the "Sample" Project. When I did a copy to create a new census I end up with a "witness sentence" that I cannot edit or delete. I can edit the "Sentence" field on that same page though.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

You've been inconsistent about what custom tag types that you've added to different projects and how you've set up those custom tag types. You just need to clean things up by adding the tag types or editing the tag types as you wish. I don't mean 'inconsistent' in a negative way since it's perfectly normal to have different custom tag types in different projects.

Using the master Tag Type List, you can export selected tag types and import them to a different project. This allows you to copy a custom tag type created in one project to a different project.

You can't edit a witness sentence unless there is a witness since those sentences are specific to each witness.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.  I apologize if I have not made myself clear.  The only time I added a custom tag type was in the Sample project.  (This was a census tag...is that considered a "custom" tag?)   The problem I see is when my information was moved in to TMG 9. For some reason not each and every census 1790-1800-1810 etc showed up as tags in all of my projects. Some projects have only one census tag in their tag list while others have varying numbers of the census'. In addition the information in the setup on Tag Type Definition screens are different from one census to another. I would like to get all of the projects to have all the census' in their tag list and have the setup tag type definitions be the same (except to make changes for year of the census.)  

I don't mind exporting a tag however I need to make sure that I am exporting one with correct info in it...hence my question about the Gedcom field and the Witness Sentence. By the way there isn't a witness on many of the census tags in the projects yet I still can't edit the witness sentence.  I would prefer to just delete the sentence for census records as I won't be using it.

Thanks again,

Mary

Mary,

There are no standard tags that include census years in their labels. Any Census Tags you have like that are custom tags. Either you created them or you imported from another program than had them.

When you say the information on those you find are different, which fields do you mean? I would expect the Sentences to differ somewhat because the information recorded on the various years differs.

Where are you trying to edit the Witness Sentences? You should be able to do that on the Tag Type Definition screen, but not on individual Tags unless a Witness exists in that Tag.

To cut through the confusion...

You are using the standard "Census" tag type and add Census tags to individuals with different dates for the different census years? This is the issue that Terry and I aren't understanding.

Although the Census tag type is a standard tag type, you can edit the tag type sentence globally and you can edit the Tag sentence locally in the Census event tags. This should explain why you get different different sentences in different projects.

The standard Census tag type should have a GEDCOM export tag of CENS. Any custom tag type should have a GEDCOM export tag of 1 EVEN 2 TYPE. A custom GEDCOM export tag like CE9 or CE19 is non-standard and not portable in a GEDCOM.

You should not be using GEDCOM to copy data between your projects. Using GEDCOM results in data loss of things like witnesses and sentences. You use the List of Individuals to export individuals to a new project, merge that new project with an existing project. and then merge the new data set in the target project to the existing data set.

Thank you both so much for trying to help me out on this.  Let me ask this because I may be confused on the Tags. Are you guys saying that only the "Census" tag was standard in TMG and the "Census 1900", "Census 1910" et al are not standard tags that came with the TMG software? Forgive me if that is correct because I thought that all the individual census tags in my projects were built into the program when I bought it. Furthermore, I thought that when I upgraded (I think I had TMG 7) to TMG 9 that not all the census tags went into all of my projects.  That said, I then thought that I would have to fix each project by adding the missing census years to the projects as needed. (I have not worked in most of the projects for several years and I don't recall if I added any the other census' but it sounds like I may have...ugh.)

I was hoping to get one good set of all census listings set up correctly and then add or export whatever is needed to my other projects.

Mary

Are you guys saying that only the "Census" tag was standard in TMG and the "Census 1900", "Census 1910" et al are not standard tags that came with the TMG software?

Yes. "Census 1900" and "Census 1910" are custom tag types created by you? or by another user if you got the data from someone else.

If you open the master Tag Type List and select a tag type, check the second entry in the middle column. The Type will be "Standard" or "Custom". You can determine whether any tag type is standard or custom by checking this.

Gees...I can't believe I never noticed that field indicating "custom".  I'm pretty sure I must have created them many moons ago.  That's a big help!!

So now on to try and fix the messes I created...If you look at the attachments for the "custom" tag (1930) I created you will note that the "witness statement" in the first attachment has the wrong year in it. I cannot change that when I use the "Edit" button (and I can't change the witness sentence on any of the other "custom" tags I created) either .  I can change the "Sentence" but I really don't need to as it appears they are all correct in my projects. I am certain I never entered anyone as a Witness.

And... dear Jim...just so I do this correctly, could you look at the rest of the fields in the attachments and let me know if I have all the buttons and boxes done right? I know I will have to change the years but does anything else need to be changed?  Lastly...what is the Data Set Default Style as indicated in the center section on the 1st attachment?

Can't thank you enough for all of your help!

Mary

Tag Type census 1930.jpg

1930 General tab.jpg

1930 Roles and Sentences tab.jpg

1930 Other tab.jpg

That you can't edit suggests that TMG is locked. You need to make sure that the installation is unlocked.

1) Run TMG normally and unlock. Help > Unlock the full program If TMG is already unlocked running as Standard user, this selection won't appear in the Help menu.

2) Run TMG as administrator by right-clicking on the TMG shortcut and selecting Properties > Run as administrator. Reply to the security prompt and unlock. Exit TMG once you are done and then you can run TMG normally.

You must use the registration information that you received in your registration email from Wholly Genes.

On the Tag Type Definition / Other tab, the GEDCOM export type should be 1 EVEN 2 TYPE. "CE19" is non-standard and invalid.

The sentences make no sense as written. Something simple that works...

[P] <|and [PO]> appeared on the U.S. census <of [D]> <[L]>

[W] was enumerated in the household of [P] <and [PO]> in the [D] U.S. census <[L]>

Edited by Jim Byram

Hi again...so I think I figured out my problem. (TMG was not locked). I didn't realize that in order to change the witness sentence you had to select it in the role list box. I didn't realize that each of those roles could have their own sentence structure....I'm becoming a pro (ha ha) now. At any rate I do believe, with your help, I've got all my tag issues figured out and actually have fixed those that need fixed.  So until my next issue arises...thank you!

Right. The model is...

Globally... Tag Type > Role > Sentence

Locally... Tag > Role > Sentence

Note that multiple roles for a tag type (or tag) principal won't translate to other programs. (Although the principal in a Family Historian fact can have a witness role. The trick there is to suppress the principal role with a {blank} local sentence so the fact doesn't have two outputs.)

Multiple roles for a tag type (or tag) witness will translate to some other programs. (such as RootsMagic or Family Historian)