Sign in to follow this  
Jim Byram

Using OpenOffice.org with TMG documents

OpenOffice.org works fine with documents output from TMG5/6 but there are a few tricks involved.

1) OO cannot deal with the Word document output by the TMG5/6 report writer. So the first requirement is that documents intended to be opened by OO should be output as Rich text Format (RTF).

2) Note that for the document to be opened from TMG after the report is output, OO must be the Windows default application for RTF files. In other words, the Windows file association for RTF files must be OO.

3) How to update the links for images in OO.

Example...

Journal report

Report Options / Exhibits / Embedded

Output to Rich Text File (RTF)

After clicking Print&Save, we have the report and image files in one folder.

Open the RTF document with OO.

Edit / Links

Select all image files

Click [Modify]

The Select Directory dialog should be pointing to the correct folder. (If

not, you'll need to browse to the folder containing the document and image

files.)

Click [OK]

Click [Close]

The images should now show in the document. If the images have not been

presized to a standardized size for the report, they will require resizing

in the document just as you would need to do in Word or WordPerfect.

OpenOffice.org works fine with documents output from TMG5/6 but there are a few tricks involved.

1) OO cannot deal with the Word document output by the TMG5/6 report writer. So the first requirement is that documents intended to be opened by OO should be output as Rich text Format (RTF).......

The above comment, I believe, reflect Jim's experience satisfactorily opening TMG RTF report files in OOo 1.1.4.

I have an somewhat suspect OOo 1.1.2 installation, but do not intend to download a later version at dialup speeds at this time. Those who do download the relatively stable OOo 1.1.4 version (2.0 beta is available) may be cautioned to save and open their report files several times in OOo to see if the save/open operation causes any immediate errors.

OOo takes relatively simple and dated TMG report outputs in RTF format and transmogrifies them into exceedingly complex RTF files after just one save operation. Footnote fonts, in particular, may not survive this operation exactly as intended.

Good luck,

John

The above comment, I believe,  reflect Jim's experience satisfactorily opening  TMG RTF report files in OOo 1.1.4.

That's the case. I just downloaded the v2 beta to check it out. The above notes were made quite a while ago with an earlier version of OO and I was looking at the document after the first opening in OO.

OOo takes relatively simple and dated TMG report outputs in RTF format and transmogrifies them into exceedingly complex RTF files after just one save operation. Footnote fonts, in particular, may not survive this operation exactly as intended.

If you're using OO as your word processor, I would save in the OO native format rather than into another RTF.

That's the case. I just downloaded the v2 beta to check it out. The above notes were made quite a while ago with an earlier version of OO and I was looking at the document after the first opening in OO.

If you're using OO as your word processor, I would save in the OO native format rather than into another RTF.

Be aware that "native format" has changed from OpenOffice.org version 1.1.4 to OOo beta version 2.0. This format is under the control of Sun, and may not be backward compatible to stable version OOo 1.1.4

In response to John's comment above... True but you can read and write to the older OpenOffice format.

The current v2 beta (1.9.104) will read TMG-generated Word files. Tested the Journal report with TOC, embedded exhibits, bibliography, index and endnotes. I see a few issues that I'm still trying to figure out (such as formatting of the endnote numbers) but, as a whole, most parts of the document work fine.