Admin

Use the custom toolbar

Use the custom toolbar

Applies to: All products

Answer: You can speed up data entry and access to the features that you use most by using the custom toolbar. Almost every program feature can be assigned to a custom toolbar button. For instance, you can create buttons that will:

• Load a specific project
  • Perform a backup
  • Access the Master Source List
  • Create a Baptism (or any other specific) tag with one click
  • Toggle the accent feature
  • Load a different set of accent conditions
  • Execute another Windows program
  • Run a specific custom report
  • and much more

To use the Custom Toolbar, right-click on any toolbar or access View > Toolbars > Customize.

One thing I love about TMG 5.0 is that you can have custom toolbars for each custom layout. So I created a custom toolbar for each task I normally perform, like census work, deed work, will work, and put all the tags I will need for that task, like custom name tags I have created, my census tags, etc. and then I save that custom toolbar to a custom layout named CENSUS (or WILL, or DEED). If I change the types of documents I am entering from Census to Wills, I only have to change the custom layout, and there is my custom toolbar with the tags I need in the corner. Saves me a lot of time, and I don't recreate a tag, because I forgot I already had one. :D

One thing I love about TMG 5.0 is that you can have custom toolbars for each custom layout.  So I created a custom toolbar for each task I normally perform, like census work, deed work, will work, and put all the tags I will need for that task,  like custom name tags I have created, my census tags, etc. and then I save that custom toolbar to a custom layout named CENSUS (or WILL, or DEED).  If I change the types of documents I am entering from Census to Wills, I only have to change the custom layout, and there is my custom toolbar with the tags I need in the corner.  Saves me a lot of time, and I don't recreate a tag, because I forgot I already had one.  :D

Great Idea!!! I was changing the tags in the add a person screen, but this is a much better idea. Thanks a bunch. :P

Use the custom toolbar

Applies to: All products

Answer: You can speed up data entry and access to the features that you use most by using the custom toolbar.  Almost every program feature can be assigned to a custom toolbar button.  (snip)

I only use a mouse and it finally dawned on me that I was required to click an inordinate number of times to select a tag. Finally found out that I could after selecting "add a tag", by typing in the first couple of characters of the tag name, the tag selection window would go right to the tag or very close to it. This saved a lot of scrolling.

Finally, I was convinced to create a custom toolbar. Looking at my tag use, discovered that 16 tags covered the majority of my tag use, and that add father.mother.son.brother.daughter ... were also high on my use list. I then looked at the TMG provided tool bars and to my surprise only six of them did I really use.

I set up a tool bar which includes my 16 tags, the eight add father/... and the six TMG operations. I docked the toolbar on the screen left, removed all the other toolbars and have lost only a small portion of my screen for my other open windows.

After doing this, what I found surprised me. Setting up for data entry has improved my performance by at least 25% and at time as much as 50%. One click and I can enter my data. Its the only way to go.

[Finally, I was convinced to create a custom toolbar.  Looking at my tag use, discovered that 16 tags covered the majority of my tag use, and that add father.mother.son.brother.daughter ... were also high on my use list.  I then looked at the TMG provided tool bars  and to my surprise only six of them did I really use.

I add people by keystroke, no mouse at all. Alt+A opens the add a person, then B is brother, T is sister, M for mother etc.