gregharper

Don't pay for printed TMG manual!

I am a newcomer to TMG. After working with the trial version (v6.02), I decided to buy it and went for the higher-priced package that includes a printed manual, since I find it easier to learn new software with a printed guide beside me, rather than flipping between two electronic screens. Turns out that the printed manual I paid £10 extra for (and I assume a similar supplement applies in the US and elsewhere too) got me the v5 manual. The only v6 manual available is the (free) electronic version on Wholly Genes' web-site, which I also had downloaded. In none of the advertising or pre-purchase correspondence about this did any warning occur that the printed manual is for an obsolete version of TMG, and the existence of a v6 electronic manual, plus normal reasonableness, would lead a purchaser to expect a v6 manual with the v6 software CD. The response from the vendor is pretty much "that's the way it is". I think this is tantamount to a fraudulent way of getting an extra £10 out of TMG buyers. I don't imagine this mailing will reach many who are considering a purchase of TMG before it gets lost amongst the archives but I feel obliged to warn off those who might see this: don't waste your extra cash on an obsolete printed manual! :angry::angry::angry::excl::excl::excl:

Greg Harper

Greg,

It is indeed the case that the printed manual is for Version 5. A very large percentage of that content--perhaps 99% of the manual content--applies directly to TMG v6 and is still valid. It is true, however, that there are TMG v6 features which are not in the printed manual. You are entitlted to your opinion, of course, but I think using the word "fraudulent" is a somewhat extreme viewpoint. I don't think WG is trying to get £10 out of TMG buyers; I think they are trying to provide a printed manual for those customers who want one. Keeping a supply of them 100% up to date is expensive.

I can't speak for WG, but I am certain that if you request a refund you'll get it. Did you ask for a refund for the manual?

It is more than 99%. With the exception of about three fixed typos and the "v5" on the title page, the two manuals are identical. The manual never has been intended to cover every feature in the program - or there would be five or six volumes. It covers the basic features (which haven't changed since v5) and is supplemented by the online help file which can be more easily revised as new features are added.

Greg, you don't say from whom you bought it but it surely wasn't directly from Wholly Genes. For any customer who is concerned about the appearance of the title page, dealers are welcome to replacements for any v5 manuals that they may still have in stock.

If there wasn't a version number on the title page, I wonder if this post would have been made?

Perhaps you should consider yourself lucky you received a manual at all. On Sep 19 I ordered the CD version of TMG 6.x, Second Site, and Gensmarts, and finally on Oct 4 I received the unlock codes and a notice that the product had shipped.

Well, I've heard of snail mail, but come on now, three weeks to get to Colo., and it still is not here yet. I sent an e-mail to ask about it on Oct 21, but no one has even

cared enough to answer it. I downloaded everything, so I can use the products, but for a software product as complex as TMG, I really want to have a manual.

They really do have some great genealogy software products, but it's

too bad their Customer Service SUCKS!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Duane,

I hope you get your manual soon, but in the meantime, using F1 to go to help will give you the information you need about the particular activity you are trying to preform. I find it easier than the manual since I don't always know where to find things in the manual.

Guest ProudFossil
Perhaps you should consider yourself lucky you received a manual at all.  On Sep 19 I ordered the CD version of TMG 6.x, Second Site, and Gensmarts, and finally on Oct 4 I received the unlock codes and a notice that the product had shipped.

Well, I've heard of snail mail, but come on now, three weeks to get to Colo., and it still is not here yet. I sent an e-mail to ask about it on Oct 21, but no one has even

cared enough to answer it.  I downloaded everything, so I can use the products, but for a software product as complex as TMG, I really want to have a manual.

They really do have some great genealogy software products, but it's

too bad their Customer Service SUCKS!!!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Duane:

Don't be to hasty in blaming TMG. We live in a rural community 60 miles from Albuquerque. It took 3 days to get a prescription mailed from New Jersey to the Albuquerque central post office and then 17 DAYS to get that same package from Albuquerque to our local post office, 60 miles. These figures are from the postal tracking stats for the package. When I asked the Albuquerque PO about the long, loooong wait from Albuquerque to here, the answer was "we are busy".

It is so bad here the post office union is running ads on the radio and tv saying in essence "Don't blame us". Go figure.

Michael Dietz

Torreon, NM