carltonb

"Lost" Pictures

I seem to have "lost" all of my pictures.

If I go to an invividual that has a picture as an external exhibit there is a big "X" in the grayed square where it should show up. If I right click on properties TNG locks up and I have to restart the program.

The same happens if I try and install a new picture (.jpg or other document). I can place the item but a gray square shows. When I close the screen and reopen there is that "X" in the gray square.

I am running 6.03. Win2K

Can anyone help.

Carltn Brooks

Mesa, AZ

I seem to have "lost" all of my pictures.

If I go to an invividual that has a picture as an external exhibit there is a big "X" in the grayed square where it should show up. If I right click on properties TNG locks up and I have to restart the program.

The same happens if I try and install a new picture (.jpg or other document). I can place the item but a gray square shows. When I close the screen and reopen there is that "X" in the gray square.

I am running 6.03. Win2K

Can anyone help.

Carltn Brooks

Mesa, AZ

A couple of things to check:

Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced, to see that you have the current location for the Exhibit folder.

Run VFI with the option for external exhibits. From Help:

"To validate the integrity of your files:

1. Select File > Maintenance > Validate File Integrity.

2. (Optional) If you have external exhibits the List of folders for location window will appear.

a. If you want the program to find any exhibits that may not be in the default folder or may be otherwise missing, check Search for missing external exhibits.

b. Click on [specify the folders to search] to name the folders where exhibits may reside.

The List of Folders window will appear.

c. Click [Add] to add a new folder and locate the folder then click [select]. If you have already added folders, you may also [Delete] them or move them [up] or [Down] in the list of folders.

d. Repeat step c to add as many folders as you wish. When you have finished selecting folders, click [save].

e. Click [OK] to Validate File Integrity.

3. When the process is complete, click [OK].

Wholly Genes, Inc."

Hope this helps -

Virginia

I did all that you suggested. No luck. It stated no errors found.

I have attached a file of what my screen looks like. LLOKS LIKE I CAN'T ADD THE ATTACHMENT DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION

Here is what I have done.

Using TMG Utility I verified that all my files were found. So far so good.

I then opened up an exhibit. Right clicked on all items nothing. If I click on properties TMG locks up and I have to use Task Manager to exit TMG.

I have the same (I think) setup on my laptop and it shows all the info correctly.

I have even reloaded v 6.03.

What else might you suggest.

Carlton Brooks

I did all that you suggested. No luck. It stated no errors found.

I have attached a file of what my screen looks like. LLOKS LIKE I CAN'T ADD THE ATTACHMENT DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION

Here is what I have done.

Using TMG Utility I verified that all my files were found. So far so good.

I then opened up an exhibit. Right clicked on all items nothing. If I click on properties TMG locks up and I have to use Task Manager to exit TMG.

I have the same (I think) setup on my laptop and it shows all the info correctly.

I have even reloaded v 6.03.

What else might you suggest.

Carlton Brooks

I can't upload an attachment either. I assume the forum is not quite put back together after the disruption. It will probably be fixed very soon. I have seen that gray box problem before. Normally I would have searched the forum for a past message on the subject, but unfortunately those messages have been lost.

Have you verified that you have exactly the same folder hierarchy on the desktop as you do on the laptop - no difference in subfolders? Can you give an example of the exhibit path(s) on the desktop?

Virginia

Carlton - another option is the 'Verify Exhibit Paths' in the TMG Utility. If you don't already have the utility, it is available at:

www.johncardinal.com/tmgutil

Virginia

Edited 8:41pm, 11 Sept

Oops! - rereading the thread, I see you already did that -

After doing all suggest items. I now have nothing in the exhibit except the description I placed there.

There is no "X" in a box. Nothing.

I ran VFI, again no errors.

I am stumped.

Carlton Brooks

Mesa, AZ

After doing all suggest items. I now have nothing in the exhibit except the description I placed there.

There is no "X" in a box. Nothing.

I ran VFI, again no errors.

I am stumped.

Carlton Brooks

Mesa, AZ

Can you give an example of the full exact exhibit path(s)? Any spaces in the path? Only alpha or numeric characters?

Virginia

The exhibit path I use is

d:\data\tmg\exhibits\

All exhibits are put in this one folder. There are no sub directories.

Also as an experiment this AM I went into preferences and in the advanced tab clicked the thumbnails option.

I received the error message of CNTIMAGE. Then TMG locked up when I went to cancel.

Is there a way to just attempt a clean reinstall of the program, then reload my data. If so how would I do it.

Carlton

Edited by carltonb

The exhibit path I use is

d:\data\tmg\exhibits\

All exhibits are put in this one folder. There are no sub directories.

Also as an experiment this AM I went into preferences and in the advanced tab clicked the thumbnails option.

I received the error message of CNTIMAGE. Then TMG locked up when I went to cancel.

Is there a way to just attempt a clean reinstall of the program, then reload my data. If so how would I do it.

Carlton

Maybe Path Wiz can help. It is designed to work with and manage TMG exhibits. There is a freeware version at:

http://www.sceya.com.au/pathwizv5/

To reinstall, use BACKUP ALL to backup up each of your projects with customizations; uninstall your existing version, download the v6.03 trial version from the WG website and use your existing registration info to unlock the program. You would need the v6 registration number plus the name and e-mail address you used when you bought v6. Then Restore your backups.

Virginia

I use Pathwiz, but it tells me everything is where it is supposed to be.

Well, I took the plunge and did a full reinstall.

It seems that everything is now working. No errors at all.

Thanks for all the help.

Carlton Brooks

I use Pathwiz, but it tells me everything is where it is supposed to be.

Well, I took the plunge and did a full reinstall.

It seems that everything is now working. No errors at all.

Thanks for all the help.

Carlton Brooks

Good. I'm glad to hear it is working now.

Virginia

Can you help!?!? I have lost Exhibits features and/or connections. I have seen this issue recently under: http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/lofiv...ex.php/f97.html

See Item 63: “I seem to have "lost" all of my pictures. If I go to an individual that has a picture as an external exhibit there is a big "X" in the grayed square where it should show up. If I right click on properties TMG locks up and I have to restart the program. The same happens if I try and install a new picture (.jpg or other document). I can place the item but a gray square shows. When I close the screen and reopen there is that "X" in the gray square. I am running 6.03. Win2K”

I followed the suggestions listed there . . . restalled 6.4, rebooted of course, backed up, validated files etc. with no success. I really, really do not want to have to reinstall the original program – currently I do not have confidence in the most recent backup (database of 8000+) and would have to backstep to pre-v.6.

I have grown with TMG from Version 3.0 – this is the first time I have had issues on upgrading. I am running Windows XP Service Pack 2. All files are on the hard drive (space not an issue, 5 gig available)

I just upgraded to 6.4 over a valid, licensed 6.0 version which had no previous problems that I recall. All 129 images entered so far are in a file under the main directory for Master Genealogist as follows: c:\Programs\TheMasterGenealogist\Images

So they are not even external. I double-checked the photo files and all appear in Windows Explorer as successful thumbnails - can be viewed, copied as usual. In other words, they are in place as they are supposed to be. But in TMG, the images show as either blank squares with a small number (preceded with an asterisk) in the left lower corner or a grayed square cross-hatched, text at bottom (think back of gray envelope). Like the person said in Item 63, if I attempt to check properties, TMG locks up and I need to escape via Task Manager. After I reboot (again) - on opening my main project in TMG, I receive an error with the following message:

Unknown member CNTIMAGE. 1018 OPENDATASETS (Abort, Retry, Ignore)

I can ignore and still access data but obviously this is a bypass not a fix.

Is there a quick fix or is this a known issue being worked on? I can live with this since data is intact (so far) if a patch is pending. Input welcome. Thanks for your time.

This is a long shot, but try restoring the defaults in Preferences. There is a Reset button on the bottom left of the Preferences window. Reset Both, close and reopen TMG. Another user and I had a problem - unrelated to exhibits but with files not being found - and that fixed it. After I did that and verified the problem was fixed, I reentered my Preferences and all was well.

Re your backup. If you are not confident in the tmg backup process, you can use Windows Explorer to Copy the project folder/files to another folder outside of tmg. If you have custom layouts or toolbars, you would want to copy the *.lo and *.tbr files also.

I just did a full reinstall (for other reasons), using the 6.04 trial version downloaded from the Wholly Genes website, and using my v6 registration information to open it. It went without a hitch.

Virginia

This is a long shot, but try restoring the defaults in Preferences. 

Re your backup . . . you can use Windows Explorer to Copy the project folder/files to another folder outside of tmg.  If you have custom layouts or toolbars, you would want to copy the *.lo and *.tbr files also.

I just did a full reinstall (for other reasons), using the 6.04 trial version downloaded from the Wholly Genes website, and using my v6 registration information to open it.  It went without a hitch.

Virginia

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried re-setting preferences - no luck - and received the follwing message on opening:

Unknown member CNTIMAGE 364 APPOBJECT.SHOW

As with the other message, I could ignore and continue - without images.

I wonder if the problem IS with the 6.4 upgrade (not full version). I now recall on installation that it seems to ask me to restart before full percentage load in bottom bar is complete? I think that happened each time I reloaded the upgrade. Perhaps installation files are missing in the process?

On to day job (always gets in the way). I'll try your last idea tonight and let you know what happens.

This is a long shot, but try restoring the defaults in Preferences.  There is a Reset button on the bottom left of the Preferences window.  Reset Both, close and reopen TMG.  Another user and I had a problem - unrelated to exhibits but with files not being found - and that fixed it.  After I did that and verified the problem was fixed, I reentered my Preferences and all was well.

Re your backup.  If you are not confident in the tmg backup process, you can use Windows Explorer to Copy the project folder/files to another folder outside of tmg.  If you have custom layouts or toolbars, you would want to copy the *.lo and *.tbr files also.

I just did a full reinstall (for other reasons), using the 6.04 trial version downloaded from the Wholly Genes website, and using my v6 registration information to open it.  It went without a hitch.

Virginia

I tried several things including reloading 6.4 . . .still have same problem. I wanted to try your last idea but I can't find free version of 6.4 on the website - only trial version of 'tmg6setup'. Is that what you used? Or am I still missing something? It seems all other features are working except exhibit. Very nervous re full reinstall even though I CD for 6.0. Can you help further? Thanks for your time.

I tried several things including reloading 6.4 . . .still have same problem. I wanted to try your last idea but I can't find free version of 6.4 on the website - only trial version of 'tmg6setup'. Is that what you used? Or am I still missing something? It seems all other features are working except exhibit. Very nervous re full reinstall even though I CD for 6.0. Can you help further? Thanks for your time.

Yes, I used the free trial ('Download a 30-day free trial') on the page

http://www.whollygenes.com/tmg.htm

I am always a little nervous about a full re-install, but I had no problems with it - and it cleared up a few minor problems I was having.

Just make sure you have your v6 registration info handy so you can reenter it in the trial version.

Virginia

Yes, I used the free trial ('Download a 30-day free trial') on the page

http://www.whollygenes.com/tmg.htm

I am always a little nervous about a full re-install, but I had no problems with it - and it cleared up a few minor problems I was having.

Just make sure you have your v6 registration info handy so you can reenter it in the trial version.

Virginia

Hello again,

I have copied my projects to a folder outside TMG. I just did a test and I can bring my data up from there ok.

Before the reinstall, did you UNINSTALL the current version on your machine (6.4)? Or did you install directly into The Master Genealogist folder?

Hello again,

I have copied my projects to a folder outside TMG. I just did a test and I can bring my data up from there ok.

Before the reinstall, did you UNINSTALL the current version on your machine (6.4)? Or did you install directly into The Master Genealogist folder?

I UNinstalled first, just to be sure it was a clean installation. If you have a custom toolbar or layout, you may want to copy those files to another folder also, if you have not already backed up your customizations. They are the *.tbr and *.lo files in the main TMG folder.

Virginia

I UNinstalled first, just to be sure it was a clean installation.  If you have a custom toolbar or layout, you may want to copy those files to another folder also, if you have not already backed up your customizations.  They are the *.tbr and *.lo files in the main TMG folder.

Virginia

Whew! OK! That worked. Photos are back . . . everything looks intact. Now I can get back to using the program instead of fixing it. Thank you very much for all your help.

Whew! OK! That worked. Photos are back . . . everything looks intact. Now I can get back to using the program instead of fixing it. Thank you very much for all your help.

That's great! I'm so glad it's working again.

Virginia