Neil Grantham

What's the best way to...

I inadvertantly have two copies of the same project (I worked on my PC an laptop) that have slightly differing content.

By this, I mean that my master copy (on the PC) has 8 individuals that are not in the laptop version.

The laptop version has several indviduals the PC version doesn't.

What is the best way to 'merge' these indvidual in. If I for example restored the laptop project on to the PC, how would I first 'save' or 'export' the 8 people to bring them back after the restore.

I'd thought of another dataset and exporting that, but I only really have GEDCOM as an option there.

Other suggestions welcomed, is there a more eloquent method.

Thanks

Neil

Edited by Neil Grantham

I inadvertantly have two copies of the same project (I worked on my PC an laptop) that have slightly differing content.

What is the best way to 'merge' these indvidual in. If I for example restored the laptop project on to the PC, how would I first 'save' or 'export' the 8 people to bring them back after the restore.

First, before any sort of major surgury on your data, make a backup. :)

Then:

1. Restore the laptop project to the PC.

2. Merge the two projects, choosing A & B so that the laptop project is "unchanged." This puts the data sets from both projects in your PC project, but the data sets remain separate.

3. Collect all the extra people from your laptop data set in a Focus Group, or select them in the Project Explorer. Then use Copy Person(s) on the Add menu to copy them from the laptop data set to the PC data set.

4. After you have verified you have everyone, delete (in Data Set Manager) the laptop data set from the project on the PC.

For more details, read the articles on Projects and Datasets, Merging Projects & Data Sets, and Copying People on my website - link below.