officersmess

Can Source Types and Elements be Copied In?

Hi. After putting it off for literally years, I'm finally forcing myself to tackle the input of sources for my project. I work in the UK edition and find that some of the source elements and source types in the UK Sample project are just what I need.

I am switching to and fro between my project and the Sample project to try and copy the detail over manually but, in an attempt to minimize the number of times my PC freezes up, I have to close one project down before opening another. This is proving to be very time consuming and not a little irritating!

Just wondering if there is any way of doing this more efficiently - either by importing only the source types and elements from one discrete project to another, or by printing the detail of the types and elements so it's a bit easier to copy over. I've rootled around in the help file but can't find anything that appears to address this. Can anyone help?

Yours hopefully!

Gillian :wacko:

Hi.  After putting it off for literally years, I'm finally forcing myself to tackle the input of sources for my project.  I work in the UK edition and find that some of the source elements and source types in the UK Sample project are just what I need. 

I am switching to and fro between my project and the Sample project to try and copy the detail over manually but, in an attempt to minimize the number of times my PC freezes up, I have to close one project down before opening another.  This is proving to be very time consuming and not a little irritating!

Just wondering if there is any way of doing this more efficiently - either by importing only the source types and elements from one discrete project to another, or by printing the detail of the types and elements so it's a bit easier to copy over.  I've rootled around in the help file but can't find anything that appears to address this.  Can anyone help?

Yours hopefully!

Gillian  :wacko:

Gillian,

Yes it is possible.

BACKUP YOUR PROJECT FIRST. :artist:

Open the Sample Data base and run a List of People for one person. On secondary Output in Options create a new project.

This will give a project with all the source type and elements with only one person.

Open your project. Select File, Merge Project. your project is A. set the new project as B and select merge B to A

This will put 2 data sets in your project.

Open File, Data Set Manager. Data set 1 should be higlighted and will be your data set.

Select Merge. A will be data set 1 (your set) and B will be Data set 2. Merge B to A.

Delete Data Set 2

Delete the person merge in from the Sample Data base and you should find all the source type and elements in your project.

Someone may come up with an easier way to do it.