SimonShaw

Importing GedCom Problem

I am currently trying to Import a Gedcom file into TMG, and it says it has a missing header. I had a quick look at the file in notepad, and to be honest it looks fine. Not that I am an expert at reading these things in there raw state.

It certainly starts with a "0 HEAD" line.

Does anyone have any ideas why TMG wouldn't like it?

I am currently trying to Import a Gedcom file into TMG, and it says it has a missing header. I had a quick look at the file in notepad, and to be honest it looks fine. Not that I am an expert at reading these things in there raw state.

It certainly starts with a "0 HEAD" line.

Does anyone have any ideas why TMG wouldn't like it?

probably cos it was created in paf ?

Open it in a text editor and save as a text file and try again.

If there are any odd characters there, delete them before saving.

Thanks for the reply. It is a PAF created file so I assume there are known problems with them.

I tried opening it in notepad, saving it as a text file then renaming it back to a GED file but get the same problem. Looking at it in a text editor I can't see any funny characters, just a crlf at the end of each line.

any other ideas?

Guest ProudFossil
Thanks for the reply. It is a PAF created file so I assume there are known problems with them.

I tried opening it in notepad, saving it as a text file then renaming it back to a GED file but get the same problem. Looking at it in a text editor I can't see any funny characters, just a crlf at the end of each line.

any other ideas?

I have had the same problem with very large GEDCOM files, 10,000 KB or more. I have found that all I have to do is load it into WordPad (NotePad can only take a much smaller file and is limited in its abilities) and then save it back into the original file. I do not change the extension to .txt This has worked for me several times.

I am currently trying to Import a Gedcom file into TMG, and it says it has a missing header.

The GEDCOM was created using the UTF-8 character set (UniCode). It needs to be converted to the ANSI character set before TMG can import it. PAF, for example, creates GEDCOMs in UTF-8 by default. To export from PAF for TMG import, the export settings need to be changed to 'Other GEDCOM 5.5' and to the ANSI character set.

I convert these GEDCOMs by opening them in Word (which will recognize the UTF-8) and then saving the GEDCOM as a text file (using the ANSI character set). You then need to check the filename and make sure that it ends in .GED rather than in .TXT.

Thank's Jim. That sorted it. I couldn't find an ANSI character set, but US-ASCII worked just as well. It's now imported ok, and I can view the data.

So thanks everyone that responded.