Solphi

Limit Descendant charts to a single focus group

Hi,

I often want to make a descendant chart only containing people in a certain focus group.

Is there any way to do this besides exporting the focus group to a ged-file, importing the resulting ged-file as another data set and then make the chart based on this data set?

If not, is this perhaps something to consider in future releases?

Edited by Solphi

Hi,

I often want to make a descendant chart only containing people in a certain focus group.

Is there any way to do this besides exporting the focus group to a ged-file, importing the resulting ged-file as another data set and then make the chart based on this data set?

If not, is this perhaps something to consider in future releases?

I use the following method.

Firstly populate the focus group with the people you want to include in the chart.

Then make a list of people report with the subject of the report being the current focus group.

click on the options button and on the secondary output tag select create new project and choose the name of the project and also select the surpress output box.

You will then have a new project containing only the people you want.

I use the following method.

Firstly populate the focus group with the people you want to include in the chart.

Then make a list of people report with the subject of the report being the current focus group.

click on the options button and on the secondary output tag select create new project and choose the name of the project and also select the surpress output box.

You will then have a new project containing only the people you want.

Thanx alot! This tip made the job much easier, but I would still like to see this option available i future releases :)

This suggestion is more complex than you think.

However, on several times in the past I have requested that VCF charts be able to be be limited in scope by a user action other than the extreme of having to create a new data set or project.

I have projects where I need up to 15 such sub-groups (all new data sets so that I can create the required charts)!

Note that all VCF chart start with a single focus person. What you require is to limit the inclusion of persons who are related to that focus person. A focus group is not necessarily the most appropriate method of determining the inclusion or exclusion of the display of a person in a chart.

I would prefer that the chart continued to show all persons related to the focus prerson until a flag value changed or the next person was not a member of the nominated focus group. Actually, I would prefer that this flag or another flag determined how much of a person's information was displayed (in increasing data; nothing, name only, name with year only of BMDBdata , up to all requested data). (This differnce could be specified in the Data Types tab of ther Chart options.)

What do you think?