kathy_kult

How do I delete places from the Master Place List?

I have several entries in my Master Place List that are duplicates, but are not linked to anything. How can I delete them? They are causing duplicate entries when I create a "Locations" webpage via SecondSite. :(

Kathy,

If they aren't linked to anything, then they won't appear in the Second Site place index; Second Site only adds places that are referned by an event. If you view the place in the Master Place List, you should be able to see where the place is used via the Events button. Did you try that?

Also, if you optimize your project (File > Maintenance > Optimize), TMG will remove duplicate places. They have to be exact duplicates.

Kathy,

If they aren't linked to anything, then they won't appear in the Second Site place index; Second Site only adds places that are referned by an event. If you view the place in the Master Place List, you should be able to see where the place is used via the Events button. Did you try that?

Also, if you optimize your project (File > Maintenance > Optimize), TMG will remove duplicate places. They have to be exact duplicates.

Sorry about the quote without a reply; I am still struggling with this site, and I don't find it very intuitive.

I. too, have a very few places duplicated in my Place List - probably fewer than ten in a list of hundreds. Checking "Events" shows a number of events for one of the duplicates and none for the other. I have examined them carefully and can find no differences in data between the two. I have even re-entered the data in the one that has no events, being careful to enter it exactly as it appears in the other one, but after running Optimise it does not disappear. There are so few of them that I have just accepted them and ceased to worry about them. But I would be interested to know why it happens.

Ken Healy

... I have even re-entered the data in the one that has no events, being careful to enter it exactly as it appears in the other one, but after running Optimise it does not disappear. There are so few of them that I have just accepted them and ceased to worry about them. But I would be interested to know why it happens.

Ken Healy

Ken,

Did you check that the place style was also the same between the two, and the comments, if any?

John - I'm getting the duplicates because I have a memo for the location in TMG (which contains directions to the location, such as for a cemetery or library). As you know for SS, the memo then makes a little "i" icon in the Master Locations list , which is one of the many features of SecondSite that I admire. The memo was then listed twice for that location, which I think is because the place style was different between the two entries (thanks Lorna for mentioning that -- I didn't notice they were different!)

By the way John, your SecondSite software is WONDERFUL!! :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for their most helpful input!

Ken,

Did you check that the place style was also the same between the two, and the comments, if any?

Since I have never (knowingly) done anything with Place Styles I did not check that. Now on looking at places I find that there are two different Place Style names, but they have identical data elements.

However, I did search out some duplicates and I checked one against the other. I found that there were two styles, so I made sure that each of the duplicates used the same style. Then I ran Optimize and went back to the Place List. The duplicates were still there!

As I said, the data elements in the two styles were identical, so I presume that there would be no problem leaving them as they are. so back to work I (think) I understand!

Thanks for your help; I have learned something about Place Styles!

Ken

Kathy,

How nice! You unknowingly answered my next "how-to" question for this new user!

Thanks!

ChowBoy