I had just transferred my data to a new drive and then I upgraded and got the error

Did you transfer only your projects to the new drive or was the TMG program also transferred (re-installed)?

Did you move the projects by copying the TMG project folder to the new drive or some other way?

At what point do you get the error? Upon first starting TMG or when trying to open a Project?

Virginia

Did you transfer only your projects to the new drive or was the TMG program also transferred (re-installed)?

Did you move the projects by copying the TMG project folder to the new drive or some other way?

At what point do you get the error?  Upon first starting TMG or when trying to open a Project?

Virginia

Only the projects were transferred. All of my data for all my software was copied from another drive. Everything else works fine. The error appears as soon as the TMG starts before the project opens.

Only the projects were transferred. All of my data for all my software was copied from another drive.  Everything else works fine. The error appears as soon as the TMG starts before the project opens.

How did you move the projects? Did you copy the TMG Projects folder or

individual project files?

Assuming your copied project(s) are intact, that all 80 or more files in each Project were included in the move, the next possibility is that TMG is opening to the Last Used Project and is unable to find it since it's been moved.

If that is the problem, and if you have TMG set to open with the Welcome Window, you can choose Select Project and point TMG toward the new project location. If you have not opted for the Welcome Window in Preferences, you can make that change directly in the app.ini file in your main TMG folder.

Use Notepad to open the app.ini file (it is a text file). In the [startup] section, set WelcomeBack=2. Now TMG will open with the Welcome window from which you can either Use Select Project or open the Sample project and use File>Open to direct TMG to the new location.

Virginia

I just went to my project file to open it in TMG,  The loading screen comes up and then the error before TMG comes up

So TMG opens normally, but when you go to open your project from within TMG using the File > Open menu, you get the fatal error as your project opens?

Or are you selecting your project from the list of recently opened projects at the bottom of the File menu? If the latter, that would be the old path.

Virginia

So TMG opens normally, but when you go to open your project from within TMG using the File > Open menu, you get the fatal error as your project opens?

Or are you selecting your project from the list of recently opened projects at the bottom of the File menu?  If the latter, that would be the old path.

Virginia

No I am opening it from its actual location.

No I am opening it from its actual location.

I don't understand what this means. Exactly how are you opening it? From what screen? What are you clicking on? From within TMG or from Windows Explorer or something else?

Does the project path contain any spaces or characters other than letters and numerals?

Virginia

The file was created in v6.3 on a second hard drive. I re installed version 6.3 and still get the same error. I tried restoring it from a backup file and it goes through all of the steps but it never shows up?

The project file is located at D:\Genealogy\Genealogy TMG FILRS\Projects.

The backup file is located at D:\Genealogy\Genealogy TMG FILRS\Backup

Somehow the program opened in repair mode and I could open the project, but when I shut it down I and reopened it I got my originAL ERROR

i DO NOT KNOW HOW TO RETURN TO REPAIR MODE

Edited by pstrause

I don't understand what this means. Exactly how are you opening it? From what screen? What are you clicking on? From within TMG or from Windows Explorer or something else?

On the opening screen I am given the choice of opening a specific project so I click that and then navigate to my project's location on my data hard drive. I try tto open it and I get my original error.

One time the program opened in "Repair mode and I was able to open the project but after I closed it I could never open it as before. I don't know how to return to repair mode.

The file was created in v6.3 on a second hard drive.

This is a reach, but is the capacity of the new hard drive greater than 32 gigabytes? Did you use any proprietery utilities other than those available in Windows XP operating system to partition or expand the hard drive beyond 32 gigabytes?

This is a reach, but is the capacity of the new hard drive greater than 32 gigabytes? Did you use any proprietery utilities other than those available in Windows XP operating system to partition or expand the hard drive beyond 32 gigabytes?

The answer to your question is no.

Somehow the program opened in repair mode and I could open the project, but when I shut it down I and reopened it I got my originAL ERROR

The answer to your question is no.

You cannot return to Repair mode. That is a program function. You can try deleting the index files (the *.CDX files) in your project and see if that helps. There are normally 29 *.CDX files in each project but may be fewer if the Repair mode has deleted some of them. Those files are regenerated when the program opens.

Let us know if you have any questions about deleting the .CDX files or would like detailed instructions.

As always, you want to have a good backup before deleting any files, and they should be deleted only when TMG is closed.

Virginia

You cannot return to Repair mode.  That is a program function.  You can try deleting the index files (the *.CDX files) in your project and see if that helps.  There are normally 29 *.CDX files in each project but may be fewer if the Repair mode has deleted some of them.  Those files are regenerated when the program opens.

Let us know if you have any questions about deleting the .CDX files or would like detailed instructions.

As always, you want to have a good backup before deleting any files, and they should be deleted only when TMG is closed.

Virginia

Virginia,

Thank you so very much. Deleting the .cdx files allowed the file to open immediately and everything seems ok.

I appreciate your patience.

Phil