I'm glad to hear your project is opening all right.

If you have not already, go to your project and run File > Maintenance > Optimize. Then run File > Maintenance > Validate File Integrity as many times as necessary until it reports no more errors.

It wouldn't hurt to reboot your computer at this point.

Which of the 3 backup types were you making?

Do you remember at which step in the backup you got the error message?

Are you backing up to a CD? If so, try making a backup to your hard drive and then copy the backup to the CD. Depending on whether you have CD software set up for packet writing, you may not be able to backup directly from tmg to a CD.

Make sure your preferences are set for your current backup location: Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced.

If you are still having a problem, try the simplest backup - Project only - see if that works, then try Backup All. In each case, use the defaults at first, then add items in until you see a problem.

Do you have many internal exhibits?

Virginia

I'm glad to hear your project is opening all right.

If you have not already, go to your project and run File > Maintenance > Optimize.  Then run File > Maintenance > Validate File Integrity as many times as necessary until it reports no more errors.

It wouldn't hurt to reboot your computer at this point.

Which of the 3 backup types were you making?

Do you remember at which step in the backup you got the error message?

Are you backing up to a CD?  If so, try making a backup to your hard drive and then copy the backup to the CD.  Depending on whether you have CD software set up for packet writing, you may not be able to backup directly from tmg to a CD.If you are still having a problem,  try the simplest backup - Project only - see if that works, then try Backup All.  In each case, use the defaults at first, then add items in until you see a problem.Make sure your preferences are set for your current backup location: Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced. 

Do you have many internal exhibits?

Virginia

Virginia,

I'm back to the original problem. I cannot open the file unil I delete all .cdx files as soon as I close the program and reboot I have the same problem. I have optimized and validated the file to death. I have very few internal exhibits, I have tried several levels of backup and none of them work.

I backup to a data hard drive which is the same hard drive that the project files are on. The program files are on the hard drive with my OS. Previously I was getting a hangup of the backup during step 2. Now I am getting the error I sent you in my previous post as soon as the backup begins.

I have also been unable to restore any backup files. The program goes through all of the motions but nothing comes up when finished.

Is there another way around all of this?????

Thanks,

Phil

Virginia,

I'm back to the original problem. I cannot open the file unil I delete all .cdx files as soon as I close the program and reboot I have the same problem. I have optimized and validated the file to death.  I have very few internal exhibits, I have tried several levels of backup and none of them work.

I backup to a data hard drive which is the same hard drive that the project files are on.  The program files are on the hard drive with my OS.  Previously I was getting a hangup of the backup during step 2.  Now I am getting the error I sent you in my previous post as soon as the backup begins.

I have also been unable to restore any backup files. The program goes through all of the motions but nothing comes up when finished.

Is there another way around all of this?????

Thanks,

Phil

You said earlier:

The project file is located at D:\Genealogy\Genealogy TMG FILRS\Projects.

The backup file is located at D:\Genealogy\Genealogy TMG FILRS\Backup

If the paths are as you indicated with the spaces, no underscores, I'm wondering if TMG is seeing \Genealogy\Genealogy [space] and being confused on the rest of the path.

If you don't already have underscores, insert them in the paths and see if that makes a difference:

D:\Genealogy\Genealogy_TMG_FILRS\Projects.

In your path statement above, you said 'The project *file* is located...' You mean files - plural, not singular? That all 80 or more of each project's files are in that folder? Occasionally when users move a project, they do not get all the files, so it is important that you have not missed any.

To eliminate the path and missing project files as possible sources of the problem, copy the project files back to a folder on the hard drive where TMG is located and see if the project will open and backup from there.

Virginia

You said earlier:

The project file is located at D:\Genealogy\Genealogy TMG FILRS\Projects.

The backup file is located at D:\Genealogy\Genealogy TMG FILRS\Backup

If the paths are as you indicated with the spaces, no underscores, I'm wondering if TMG is seeing \Genealogy\Genealogy [space] and being confused on the rest of the path.

If you don't already have underscores, insert them in the paths and see if that makes a difference:

D:\Genealogy\Genealogy_TMG_FILRS\Projects.

In your path statement above, you said 'The project *file* is located...'   You mean files - plural, not singular?  That all 80 or more of each project's files are in that folder?  Occasionally when users move a project, they do not get all the files, so it is important that you have not missed any.

To eliminate the path and missing project files as possible sources of the problem, copy the project files back to a folder on the hard drive where TMG is located and see if the project will open and backup from there.

Virginia

Virginia,

I moved the project folder to my C:Drive. The program opened fine but when I tried to back it up after choosing back up project and clicking next . I got the same error. Backup_error.doc I there a corruption of my TMG program?

Phil

Edited by pstrause

Virginia,

I moved the project folder to my C:Drive.  The program opened fine but when I tried to back it up I got the same error. I there a corruption of my TMG program?

Phil

Are you making the backup to the C drive also?

If you are able to access your project when it is on the C drive and back it up to a folder on the C drive without the fatal error messages, then it would appear there is nothing wrong with your TMG installation and v6.04 upgrade.

I make my backups to - and restore from - an external hard drive F without any problem. I don't know what is different about your D drive installation.

Virginia

Edited by Virginia Blakelock

Are you making the backup to the C drive also?

Virginia

Virginia,

Yes I am making the backup to the C Drive also

I uninstalled TMG and renamed the remaining files to old. I downloaded a new copy of TMG and installed it. I copied the old project file to the new project file and I had to delete all of the cdx files in order to open it I optimized it, indexed it and validated it and everything was fine. I got the same error after the second screen of the backup wizard trying to back it up to the new Backup folder on the C drive. I really am no further ahaead.

Obviously there is some other corruption in the project files. Is there any way to clean up those files, or transfer them and make a new project without losing all of my data. Data management does not allow you to export it to a new TMG project or Import does not import any TMG file after TMG 4.0.

This is getting very frustrating.

Phil

Phil

Edited by pstrause

Virginia,

Phil

If you've put everything back where it was on the C drive and still getting fatal error messages, then it may be best to reinstall. If you have a fast modem connection you can download the v6.04 full install (the free trial copy) from the WG web site and use your v6 registration information.

If you do reinstall, I suggest leaving tmg and your projects on the C drive and copying (not moving) your projects to the D drive to see if there are any problems with accessing and backing up before making a permanent move.

If you cannot make a successful backup in TMG now, you can still copy your project files to the D drive as a backup.

You may also want to contact Tech Support directly by e-mail (see Help > Technical Support). If you do, be sure to give them a phone number where you can be reached.

Let us know if you get things working again - or if you have any questions or problems with a reinstall if you go that route.

Virginia

vablake@aol.com

Virginia,

I uninstalled TMG and renamed the remaining files to old. I downloaded a new copy of TMG and installed it.  I copied the old project file to the new project file and I had to delete all of the cdx files in order to open it I optimized it, indexed it and validated it and everything was fine.  I got the same error after the second screen of the backup wizard trying to back it up to the new Backup folder on the C drive.  I really am no further ahaead. 

Obviously there is some other corruption in the project files.  Is there any way to clean up those files, or transfer them and make a new project without losing all of my data.  Data management does not allow you to export it to a new TMG project or Import does not import any TMG file after TMG 4.0.

This is getting very frustrating.

Phil

Phil

There is a lot of information in the backup error message which should help tech support identify the problem. The TMG error messages are stored in the Windows file:

Windows\System 32\vfp7rerr.log

After all of your problems, you'll probably find a lot of messages in that file. They are in order by oldest first, so scroll down to the last message, probably re the backup, and make a copy to send tech support.

You can identify the current message from the date and time in the first line, in the format: year.month.day hour:min:sec - 2005.10.02 07:59:15 PM

If there is corruption in the project, they may be able to find it and fix it for you.

Virginia