Vernard Adams

Failed Backup

I just upgraded from version 5 to version 6.03 of TMG. The program will not back up properly. It gives this error message: "Input file read failure. The error occurs when a file operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process. Please check the destination drive." Windows Explorer shows one ZIP file in my TMG folder: The Master Genealogist\buttons\buttons.ZIP. Today I reloaded the software from the CD (having first used an internet download a few weeks ago). It did not help; the problem persists. I would greatly appreciate some advice. Thank you.

I just upgraded from version 5 to version 6.03 of TMG.

Just an additional (may be stupid :) ) question of course you first updated TMG v5 to TMG v6.0 and than to TMGv6.03, right?

It gives this error message: "Input file read failure. The error occurs when a file operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process. Please check the destination drive." Windows Explorer shows one ZIP file in my TMG folder: The Master Genealogist\buttons\buttons.ZIP.

The TMG folder: The Master Genealogist\buttons should only contain BMP files if anything was applied properly.

Can you manually unzip that ZIP-file you're referring to in the buttons folder?

Vera

I just upgraded from version 5 to version 6.03 of TMG. The program will not back up properly. It gives this error message: "Input file read failure. The error occurs when a file operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process. Please check the destination drive." Windows Explorer shows one ZIP file in my TMG folder: The Master Genealogist\buttons\buttons.ZIP. Today I reloaded the software from the CD (having first used an internet download a few weeks ago). It did not help; the problem persists. I would greatly appreciate some advice. Thank you.

The error message seems to be generic for backup problems and does not necessarily refer to a zip file or zip disc.

It may apply if the backup medium is full, or, depending on your CD software, that you are trying to make a tmg backup directly to a CD drive. In the latter case, make the backup to a folder on your hard drive and then copy that backup file to your CD.

Virginia

Have you set your backup location in File> Preferences> Advanced> Backups ?

Just an additional (may be stupid  :) ) question of course you first updated TMG v5 to TMG v6.0 and than to TMGv6.03, right?

The TMG folder: The Master Genealogist\buttons should only contain BMP files if anything was applied properly.

Vera

Just an additional (may be stupid  :) ) question of course you first updated TMG v5 to TMG v6.0 and than to TMGv6.03, right?

Vera

The upgrade was directly to 6.03. It was selected automatically by TMG. I have not yet tried unzipping that file. I was able to backup to the C drive and then copy, following another suggestion. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Vernard Adams

The error message seems to be generic for backup problems and does not necessarily refer to a zip file or zip disc.

It may apply if the backup medium is full, or, depending on your CD software, that you are trying to make a tmg backup directly to a CD drive.  In the latter case, make the backup to a folder on your hard drive and then copy that backup file to your CD.

Virginia

I was able to backup to a folder on the hard drive and copy as you suggested. thank you.

Vernard Adams