gregharper

Witnesses with 2 roles at the same time

When I create an Event for a person in TMG for their Will, I want to add all the names mentioned in the Will as witnesses, so that their own "page" includes the link, even if they are only distantly related or not related at all: the information this gives about relationships with the deceased is worth recording. I've added roles to the default Will Tag for executor/executrix, beneficiary, etc but I can't record the same person as both an executor and a beneficiary (though this often happens in a Will's provisions, of course) - the software tells me that this person is already included as a witness ad won't allow me to add them a second time. I can see why the program might do this, but can anyone suggest a work-around that would allow me to record the same person discharging two different roles with regard to the same Will.

I guess the same facility might be equally useful in some other Tags, too.

Thank you for any ideas!

Best wishes,

Greg

My solution to this is not to add those who inherit as witnesses to the will, but to hve a custom "inherited" tag and use it in each individual's page. In the memo I put who they inherited from and what was inherited. It is easy to put "was the executor for his father's estate and inherited..." in the memo.

Carol Collins

I've added roles to the default Will Tag for executor/executrix, beneficiary, etc but I can't record the same person as both an executor and a beneficiary (though this often happens in a Will's provisions, of course) - the software tells me that this person is already included as a witness ad won't allow me to add them a second time. I can see why the program might do this, but can anyone suggest a work-around that would allow me to record the same person discharging two different roles with regard to the same Will.

Create a combination role of "executor and heir" - it will also read better in the narratives than two separate statements back to back would. For an example, see my article on Will Tags.

Create a combination role of "executor and heir" - it will also read better in the narratives than two separate statements back to back would. For an example, see my article on Will Tags.

Thanks Greg for asking the question and Carol and Terry for your suggestions. I'm going to print these off because I have various tags where I had a problem with wanting to use one person in various roles

Jim

Thanks for the ideas, Carol and Terry. Like Jim, I have noted these suggestions as I'm sure both will be the way to go for different purposes as I continue to use TMG. For the Will problem, I think Terry's suggestion fits better with how I use TMG, but I will keep Carol's alternative in mind when I have other needs for multiple roles/one name.

Thanks again - two problems solved overnight by asking this Community: great stuff! :D

Best wishes,

Greg