Matt_G

Newbie question about sources

I am curious as to how or even if people here scan documents and attach the image to the source.

Allow me to clarify:

I have a certified abstract of birth for myself.

I have created a source definition using the birth registration (state level).

I have created a citation detail linking this source to my birth tag and name tag.

I have created a repository citing the appropriate state agency. Is this correct or should I cite where my copy of it is?

In these kinds of cases do you scan the doc in question and attach the image to the source using a internal or external exhibit? :unsure:

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I am curious to see how some of you guys/gals handle this.

I am very green with regards to this business and I want to do it right from the beginning.

Any pointers or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Is this correct or should I cite where my copy of it is?

Yes. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure there's one right answer to this. You could:

1. Cite the certificate - after all, that's what you actually have. Even then, it was issued by some agency, so I think it's reasonable to list them in the source description, and entering them as a repository in the standard source types for a birth record does that, seems to me. You could, if you want, add in the comments section that you hold the certificate. Or,

2. Cite the public record - after all, you have a certified notice from a public agency saying there is such a record. In that case, clearly that agency should be listed as the repository.

Don't know that it matters a lot - I'd decide one way or the other to be consistent, then make sure the source notes read consistently with your decision.

In these kinds of cases do you scan the doc in question and attach the image to the source using a internal or external exhibit?

I don't, but I can see the value in doing so. Among the merits are you have the record easily available for reference any place you have your computer. And you have the ability to include it in websites made with Second Site. I see including images of sources in such websites as a very neat idea, though perhaps a lot of work.

Someone whose actually done it could offer some suggestions on the mechanics.

Thanks for the reply Terry. Told ya I was green to this genealogy business. :P

BTW, great website you have there. It's already saved me from posting some more dumb questions. :lol:

Thanks for the reply Terry. Told ya I was green to this genealogy business.

You're welcome. Actually, I think that's a pretty insightful question - I expect many experienced users have never actually thought about it. :huh:

BTW, great website you have there. It's already saved me from posting some more dumb questions.

Thanks - I'm glad you've found it helpful. But don't worry about "dumb questions" -- there are no dumb questions if you don't know the answers. All questions are welcome.

I am curious as to how or even if people here scan documents and attach the image to the source.

Hi Matt,

I would not say that I am an expert in this field - Terry is far 'older and wiser' than I at the genealogy thing.

I do scan all the documents I have, and for the reasons Terry gives.

In these kinds of cases do you scan the doc in question and attach the image to the source using a internal or external exhibit? :unsure:

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I am curious to see how some of you guys/gals handle this.

I always attach my images as external exhibits. This means that the backup of TMG is smaller (and it fits better with John Cardinal's 'Second Site' which I use for creating my webpages). My (alternative) viewpoint as to where I attach them can be viewed at http://www.tony-collins.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/family/ selecting the 'interpretations' page.

As Terry says, you can do almost anything you like, but whatever you decide should be adhered to throughout. It makes it easier for you, and anyone else looking at the data if it has form to the structure.

"Say what you do, then do what you say".

Hope this helps,

(and keep asking - we all started sometime - and probably made the same mistakes ;) )

Tony.