John Moran

Embedding text in jpeg files

Have you considered IMatch (www.photools.com) or BreezeBrowser (www.breezesys.com)?

Ideally, I want to be in TMG, attach an exhibit to an event, and have TMG know some basic info about the image - such as the date and caption/title. It seems ridiculous that I should have to reenter this info!

I want to use a photo organizer to enter data about my images that will x-over and be seen/recognized in other applications....

It seems as if you've been using almost all of the programs that I've listed above....

Do you have a recommendation?

Thank you most sincerely!

Marion in Rochester

I have tried several photo album software packages over the years, and never found one that is simple enough. I want to use Windows Explorer to organize and view my images.

"PixVue is an image management application for Windows. PixVue provides a series of extensions to the Windows Explorer, enhancing its functionality as it relates to digital images." (As quoted from Pixvue Help)

What I found after getting past the basic positve Explorer experience with Pixvue, is that it includes a user friendly, boolean searchable, "Gallery" consisting of those folders and files you choose to put in said "Gallery". You will have to do a limited amount of preparation work in Windows Indexing Service to set this up, but it is clearly explained and optional.

Caveat: Just don't go a little too far while in Windows Indexing and try to remap the XMP property fields into the "Windows metadata" fields to be compatible with the "new" TMG just yet, unless you know what you are doing.

Has the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer been updated in WinVista to show the title, subject, or any other metadata?

The Windows Picture and Fax Viewer has been replaced by the Photo Gallery Viewer. And an image organizer called Windows Photo Gallery is included. Both show the title and tags that have been entered for a selected image. You can enter tags on the screen of either tool for the selected image. Other data shown on the screen includes the filename, date/time stamp, filesize, and pixel dimensions.

Note, for example, that you can right-click on a JPG, select Properties and enter metadata on the Details tab. The JPG image that I looked at in WinVista has 75 metadata fields. Most clearly correspond to the EXIF fields used by digital cameras.

As I interpret the Googled tea leaves re: Vista digital image management (DAM), "Vista Gallery" will provide a user experience roughly equivalent to XP with the latest version of MS Digital Image Suite.

In Vista, native support for embedding XMP/IPTC fields will not be provided!

Keyword search in Gallery will be, what was the word? "overutilized?", as in existing MS Picture It! and Digital Image Suite, for XP. In short, Pixvue and IMatch will not be put out of business.

The Vista Gallery will be maintained by copying full folders of image files to the top "gallery" folder. Selection of just a few files from the master folder for gallery indexing will not be permitted to protect the user from him/herself. This will mean that Vista Gallery users will be required to maintain at least three sets (hierarchies) of image data if they wish to cull out the bad shots before placing them in the gallery.

In short, business as usual with a "free" copy of MS Digital Image Suite included in Vista. But also with a Vista file system limitation of only one 64k block of data for Adobe and others to play with for XMP/XML purposes (as of January).

(NTFS apparently allowed use of more than one 64k block. Dunno about that. Above my pay grade.)

John (or anyone else interested in this subject!)

From searching around this forum, you seem to have several posts which address the issues that I'm currently working on. But you have done much more research on the subject, altho I think your last post about any of this was in January 2006.

Here's what I've been doing (and please excuse my ignorance on some of the technology):

- I have recently committed to use TMG

- I had been using PhotoShop Album for organizing my photos, and Microsoft Digital Image programs for generating hardcopy output

- I don't love Album, so I decided to do some research before I finish identifying all my photos

- I have been evaluating whether or not to switch to Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 Library (I like the interface of Library better than Album, but I miss some of Album's features; I like being able to use Library to filter the images I want to work with, and go directly to the Editor)

- then I started reading about whether or not the info about the image is attached to the image itself, and realized that this is the most important criteria for me, in selecting a photo organizer

- so I downloaded PixVue, but then I'm also reading about alternatives such as IRFANVIEW, XNVIEW and CPICTURE....

- my husband suggested using PixVue in conjunction with Album or Library (ie, enter the data via Album or Library, but know that I can see it easily in Explorer...)

- I tried entering some info via Album, to see if it would appear via PixVue; some does and some doesn't

- I tried entering some info via DIP Library, to see if it would appear via PixVue; it didn't

- I'm confused and overwhelmed and floundering around, from program to program!

Ideally, I want to be in TMG, attach an exhibit to an event, and have TMG know some basic info about the image - such as the date and caption/title. It seems ridiculous that I should have to reenter this info!

I want to use a photo organizer to enter data about my images that will x-over and be seen/recognized in other applications....

It seems as if you've been using almost all of the programs that I've listed above....

Do you have a recommendation?

Thank you most sincerely!

Marion in Rochester

Marion-

I don't know how far to carry this thread that you bumped two weeks ago, but I have just discovered a new twist in discontinued MS Picture It! 10 Library. This may also apply to MS Digital Image Suite.

PictureIt! Library, the gallery/album searchable viewer will sort and display certain image files, including jpgs, by various schemes, including date and keywords it enters into the MS properties fields. No big deal, except that it will also remap and search by keywords entered in IPTC/XMP fields via Irfanview or Pixvue.

But once you add one keyword in a jpg file from inside Picture It!, it will no longer expose nor use keywords in IPTC/XMP fields. No big deal. It doesn't erase the IPTC/XMP keywords and it seems to be fail safe, but it just adds to the confusion. [Edit: Can be reversed, and might be a useful method of pasting keywords into MS metadata keyword field.]

John M.

Edited by John Moran

Jim and John,

Thanks for the detailed responses to my queries about the direction of image metadata in WinDoze. Why is it so hard for MS to KISS? <rant omitted> <reconsideration of changing to Linux> Am I being unreasonable?

I will look into PixVue. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the detailed responses to my queries about the direction of image metadata in WinDoze. Why is it so hard for MS to KISS?

Looks to me that is exactly what Microsoft is doing. They provide access to six fields to record image data (Title, Subject, Author, Category, Keywords, Comments) and display read-only the additional EXIF fields created by digital cameras. How much simpler can you get?

Jim, thanks for making me go back and re-read. I think what I missed was that there are two different programs, a Viewer and a Gallery. Can I use the Viewer without implementing the Gallery? If so, then perhaps that's all I need.

Next question, can I install the new Viewer in XP? Is it just a dll like the current one?

Jim, thanks for making me go back and re-read. I think what I missed was that there are two different programs, a Viewer and a Gallery. Can I use the Viewer without implementing the Gallery? If so, then perhaps that's all I need.

You right-click on an image and select 'Preview', you get the viewer.

Next question, can I install the new Viewer in XP? Is it just a dll like the current one?

Have no idea nor any idea how tight the viewer and gallery are tied together.

Any idea how to update this for Adobe CS5? They appear to have moved to a new system of doing embedded metatext. I can still see some of what i embedded but i would like to retitle the fields as before and show what i embedded. Dont want to go back to the old adobe

John