svinson

6.04 won't backup

Ever since I upgraded to release 6.04 TMG does not backup my project when I exit. As a result, I've been unable to take any backups since upgrading to 6.04, almost a month ago.

In addition, when I try to manually backup (using File, Backup) it still won't backup. Instead, I get a pop up box called "Open" which appears to be asking me to select a directory and file to 'open', which clearly is not what I want to do.

How do I fix this?

Regards, Simon

PS: I've checked the File, Preferences, Advanced, Backups to check that the default directory for my backups is still correct, and it is.

Ever since I upgraded to release 6.04 TMG does not backup my project when I exit. As a result, I've been unable to take any backups since upgrading to 6.04, almost a month ago.

In addition, when I try to manually backup (using File, Backup) it still won't backup. Instead, I get a pop up box called "Open" which appears to be asking me to select a directory and file to 'open', which clearly is not what I want to do.

How do I fix this?

Regards, Simon

PS: I've checked the File, Preferences, Advanced, Backups to check that the default directory for my backups is still correct, and it is.

Until you solve the backup problem, you can make a current backup by using Copy in Windows Explorer to copy the project files to another folder or medium.

Assuming you are currently backing up to another medium, if you change the backup location to a folder on your hard drive, do you still get the problem?

Do you get the Open file box immediately when you click on File > Backup - or at a step in the Backup Wizard?

Do you get the same Open file box in the Sample Project if you try File > Backup there?

Virginia

As soon as I select File then Backup the "Open" pop up box appears, and yes it does the same thing when I load the 'sample file'.

Can anyone help me fix this?

Thanks, Simon

Virginia

.... and yes, I always backup to another location on my C drive.

Everything worked like a charm with 6.03, so this problem has only occurred following the upgrade to 6.04.

Simon

How do I fix this?

Regards, Simon

Simon,

Have yo tried rebrowsing in your backup location in File, Preferences, Advanced, Backups?

When I upgraded the backup location had changed completely. Browsing it back in might fix.

:wallbash:

Does anyone know how to fix this as it seems there is a bug in 6.04 which prevents you from being able to backup your project.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Simon

Does anyone know how to fix this as it seems there is a bug in 6.04 which prevents you from being able to backup your project.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Simon

Even though your paths appear to be correct in Preferences, try deleting and resetting them using the ... button to browse to the location. Do this for paths in Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced and also in Program Options > General > Default Project Path. There seems to be a problem with the update not recognizing some of the paths although they appear correctly in Preferences.

Virginia

Virginia

Thanks for the suggestion but in fact I had already tried this and it doesn't work.

The problem I'm getting is that when I go File, Backup the "Open" pop box comes up - so it appears that 6.04 is looking to open a file when I'm actually trying to backup up a file.

Do you have any other suggestions as I haven't been able to backup my project for over a month now?

Thanks Simon

Virginia

Thanks for the suggestion but in fact I had already tried this and it doesn't work.

The problem I'm getting is that when I go File, Backup the "Open" pop box comes up - so it appears that 6.04 is looking to open a file when I'm actually trying to backup up a file.

Do you have any other suggestions as I haven't been able to backup my project for over a month now?

Thanks Simon

Since the same is happening in your projrct and the sample data then it would suggest something wrong with the program installation, especially since you don't get the wizard at all.

Try uninstalling the program and reinstalling. You could do a full install by downloading 6.04 from the WG website as the full program and installing rather than just upgrading to 6.04

Jeff

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds a bit drastic though.

How do I make sure that I don't lose the current version of my project?

If I first copy the sub directory 'Projects' in the TMG directory then re-instal TMG 6.04 and then copy the files I copied back into the new 'Projects' sub directory will I still be able to load my project OK?

The sub directory 'Projects' currently has 79 files (1 has a PJC extension, 19 have FPT extensions, 30 with DBF extensions, 29 with CDX extensions) all of which relate to one project. I don't know enough about the file architecture, but I presume that the PJC file 'points' to the other files.

Can I be sure that after having re-installed 6.04 that TMG will be able to find the correct file it needs and load my project OK?

Thanks Simon

Jeff

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds a bit drastic though.

How do I make sure that I don't lose the current version of my project?

If I first copy the sub directory 'Projects' in the TMG directory then re-instal TMG 6.04 and then copy the files I copied back into the new 'Projects' sub directory will I still be able to load my project OK?

The sub directory 'Projects' currently has 79 files (1 has a PJC extension, 19 have FPT extensions, 30 with DBF extensions, 29 with CDX extensions) all of which relate to one project. I don't know enough about the file architecture, but I presume that the PJC file 'points' to the other files.

Can I be sure that after having re-installed 6.04 that TMG will be able to find the correct file it needs and load my project OK? 

Thanks Simon

You can copy the project folder to your C drive and recopy it back to TMG. In fact, I do not keep my projects in a subfolder under TMG but in a separate folder on my hard drive. TMG can find your project wherever you point it to in File > Open and/or in Preferences.

If you have custom layouts or toolbars, copy the *.lo and *.tbr files in your main TMG folder to another folder for safekeeping.

The .pjc file is a text file containing your project settings. You can open and look at it in Notepad if you wish. For information on the tmg file structure, see: http://www.tmgtips.com/dbnames2.htm

I downloaded the v6 trial version (which is a full install of v6.04) from the WG web site and reinstalled a couple of weeks ago, and had no problems. Be sure to have your v6 registration info handy.

Before you do that though, go to Preferences and click on the Reset Defaults button in the bottom left corner; reset both Program and Project defaults and reboot. That still might clear up your problem and save you a reinstall.

Virginia

Virginia

I had previously tried resetting all the preferences so have taken the step of reinstalling the software. However when I re-enter my registration details it won't accept them for some reason - so now I'm completely locked out.

There seem to be quite a number of other members who have listed problems with 6.04 on the forum, so maybe I would be better off reverting to release 6.03 until all the bugs are fixed.

Thanks, Simon

Virginia

I had previously tried resetting all the preferences so have taken the step of reinstalling the software. However when I re-enter my registration details it won't accept them for some reason - so now I'm completely locked out.

There seem to be quite a number of other members who have listed problems with 6.04 on the forum, so maybe I would be better off reverting to release 6.03 until all the bugs are fixed.

Thanks, Simon

Are you sure you're using the v6 registration number, not the v5. And the same name and email address?

You can email support@whollygenes.com and request they be sent out again.

Jeff

Absolutely sure.

I can only think that rel 6.04 somehow changes your registration number. Anyway, have emailed support .

Simon

Simon:

You don't say what operating system you are using??? When I upgraded to one of the v 6 iterations, I suddenly couldn't do backups on my laptop but my desktop was fine. Turns out it was because my laptop has Win98SE while my desktop has Win XP. Could this be your problem?

B)

Joan

:blink: I'm using 6.04 too.... and can NOT do a backup. It takes me thru the wizard stuff; seems to prepare a .sqz file; then says it can't write to the a: because some other program may have the a: locked. Not so. Also on an XP system. What is especially irritating is that it then goes on to say : "Finished..." all done backing up! or something close to that...