Dwooddon

Which Tag Type to use

I am a relative Newby having had TMG a long time but not having had the time to get deeply into its capabilities. I have a number of ancestors who bought and sold land with some frequency.

Which tag type would you recommend I use for entering deeds for land when it was not a residence?

I am a relative Newby having had TMG a long time but  not having had the time to get deeply into its capabilities. I have a number of ancestors who bought and sold land with some frequency.

Which tag type would you recommend I use for entering deeds for land when it was not a residence?

I have created 2 custom tags, land sold and landbought.

You might also look at Teresa Ghee Elliott's web page, where she posts various useful tags and sentences. It is http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rutherfordcemetery

or somewhere accessible from there. She does a lot of work with deeds, but also posts contributions by other users.

Karla

I am a relative Newby having had TMG a long time but  not having had the time to get deeply into its capabilities. I have a number of ancestors who bought and sold land with some frequency.

You might also look at Teresa Ghee Elliott's web page, where she posts various useful tags and sentences. It is http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rutherfordcemetery

or somewhere accessible from there. She does a lot of work with deeds, but also posts contributions by other users.

Karla

I have never used this forum previously.

I have a question.

What do you do when the family moved onto a piece of land and we cannot find

a land patent or bill of sale. The family was then killed by Indians (War of 1812)

leaving only my ancestor who escaped on foot.

The area is now a historical site. I would like to peg my records to this site

but am doing it with a MISC tag.

Any better ideas??

Well, most of the time I have no evidence of purchase (or at most, hearsay or a letter that someone bought a place). I have a tag called Moved that is useful for recording someone arriving at a place. It makes a change from Residence, at least.

Karla

I have never used this forum previously. 

I have a question.

What do you do when the family moved onto a piece of land and we cannot find

a land patent or bill of sale.  The family was then killed by Indians (War of 1812)

leaving only my ancestor who escaped on foot.

The area is now a historical site.  I would like to peg my records to this site

but am doing it with a MISC tag.

Any better ideas??