Derek Baker

TMG requesting file OPEN

Since I installed TMG 6.04 on 6 UK edition I intermitently get a request to open a file when I view a persons details, this happens from almost anywhere. Opening from the bookmark or when I click on a person in the Details, Siblings or Children windows.

It does not happen if I link from the project explorer or open someones details from the picklist.

The person's details display OK when I cancel the Open file request.

Checking file integrity show no problem.

It may be connected with having IE open at the same time.

I have started TMG up witout having connected to the Internet and it does not ask for a file to be opened.

I have started TMG from fresh boot and no request to open file.

It just happens sometimes and I can't track down the conditions.

Has anyone else come across this.

Thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek Baker

I used to get this problem with 6.03, UK but it's gone away with 6.04.

I thought at one time it was due to "heavy handedness" with my graphic pen (which I use instead of a mouse), and certainly I've occasionally reproduced a similar effect with a too slow or too quick, double-click with a mouse button. If it's related to that issue then an upgraded or different mouse driver might help - I recall a few other problems on the list associated with that type of issue.

Since I installed TMG 6.04 on 6 UK edition I intermitently get a request to open a file when I view a persons details, this happens from almost anywhere. Opening from the bookmark or when I click on a person in the Details, Siblings or Children windows.

It does not happen if I link from the project explorer or open someones details from the picklist.

The person's details display OK when I cancel the Open file request.

Checking file integrity show no problem.

It may be connected with having IE open at the same time.

I have started TMG up witout having connected to the Internet and it does not ask for a file to be opened.

I have started TMG from fresh boot and no request to open file.

It just happens sometimes and I can't track down the conditions.

Has anyone else come across this.

Thanks

Derek

Another user and I ran into a similar problem. In our case it was solved by resetting the Project and Program preferences to their defaults, using the Reset Default button in the Preferences window. After verifying the problem was solved, we were able to reenter our preference settings.

We found it to be project specific - and not in the Sample project - so you might check that first before you try resetting.

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

Thanks for the tip. Instead of resetting and then having to put it all back I thought I would try the gentle approach first and for now it seems to have worked.

What I did was to make a dummy change to the file locations, by using 'browse' to select the correct path and then I saved the 'change'.

It's not much difference in terms of effort, but I did not have to try and remember on which drive and path I have all of the different components stored.

It seems to have cured the problem. TMG must somehow get some file locations wrong in it's registry settings in a way that do not show in the preferences.

This may also have been caused because I installed an extra hard drive and then moved the backup files to the new hard drive a couple of days before I upgraded to 6.04, so the problem may not be release specific.

When I changed the backup location originally I overtyped the drive letter and saved the change. It seemed to be quite happy backing up to the new location, however maybe it wasn't and I should have 'browsed' to the new location and saved.

One for the techies to ponder over.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Derek

Thank you for the tip about your more gentle system. I'll remember that if the problem comes up here again. I went through my .pjc file line by line looking for something to explain why resetting preferences cleared up the problem and could find nothing out of order.

Glad you got it fixed -

Virginia