The Oakster

Citing the National Burial Index...

Hello,

I have just purchased the National Burial index (Second Edition) and I am trying to work out ways to cite it.

I have searched on TMG L, and the Internet in general and no one seems to have mentioned this.

Do I state the NBI as the Repository, and the information from the place information as the source, with the actual details of the burial as the detail. Leading to lots of sources as each person would have a different source.

Or

Do I state the NBI as the source without a Repository and then use this generic source and use the citation detail to record the specific information for each individual person?

Thank you,

Ben

Hello,

I have just purchased the National Burial index (Second Edition) and I am trying to work out ways to cite it.

I have searched on TMG L, and the Internet in general and no one seems to have mentioned this.

Do I state the NBI as the Repository, and the information from the place information as the source, with the actual details of the burial as the detail. Leading to lots of sources as each person would have a different source.

Or

Do I state the NBI as the source without a Repository and then use this generic source and use the citation detail to record the specific information for each individual person?

Thank you,

Ben,

Ben

I don't use repositories so my view is as follows and will differ to someone elses.

The source is the item which provided the information. The repository is where it is held.

E.g a book of local history is the source. The local library is the repository.

If you have the NBI in your home then that could be the repository but it may also be available at the Local Family History Centre or the house of someone else who has purchased it so they are both relevant repositories

So I would use NBI published by FFHS without a repository.

If it were a rare book then I would include its location in the source probably

Ben

I have one source set up for the NBI, as follows:

Default Surety: 2

Abbreviation: NBI CD-ROM

Source Type: CD-ROM produced from original records (note, this may not be the best description)

Compilation Title: National Burial Index for England and Wales

Short Compilation Title: National Burial Index

Subject: Burials

Compiler: Federation of Family History Societies

<Date>: Second Edition 2004 (Note, I have taken this as the publication date not the burial date for a specific person)

Publisher: FFHS Publications Ltd

Publisher Address: 15-16 Chesham Industrial Centre, Oram Street, Bury

For the person, in their burial Tag, I enter date and place of burial details.

This seems to work for me but I am sure there are other ways which might suit you better.

By the way enjoy the NBI. We thought we would exhaust it fairly quickly but we still use it, particularly now access to census information is so easy on-line which gives us new clues that need following up.

Finally isn't it great that the NBI comes from Bury :D

Les