Pierce.Reid

Mixing UK and US events

I use the UK edition of TMG because most of my data is for UK or Canadian events. However, I also have a significant number of American ancestors, going back to the 1600's.

I have two problems when I import my UFT data into TMG:

1. My UFT events seem to obliterate many of the TMG tag types.

2. The TMG/UK edition does not have many of the US tag types with I would like to be able to specify.

I have an additional problem that WhollyGenes has not been able to fix so far. When I try to import my database into TMG 6, the program abends part way through the import, with some sort of system error message about reaching an end of file (possibly when reading a source file). I am able to import my data into TMG 4a (but TMG 4d produces the same abend), which I then import into TMG 6.04. This may cause some of the problems I have with maintaining TMG 6 UK tag types, but I don't think it is related to the lack of US tag types.

Pierce

Pierce,

Have you thought of creating a hybrid type of version?  I utilize one that I created.  This will give you both types of tags.  You can see the steps of how to do it on this conversation from early December:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...wtopic=4807&hl=

Hope this helps.

Siobhan

Thanks, Siobhan, for your note. Yes, I had seen the discussion, but have not been able to experiment and absorb all the steps. When I first bought and installed TMG 6 UK, I expected I could easily create a hybrid version, but it is a bit more complicated than I thought it would be.

I'm still new to TMG, and we are currently maintaining our data in UFT. As mentioned, we still cannot import our UFT directly into TMG 6. We have to first import into 4.0a (which is pre-UK edition) and then import it into TMG 6. It looks like I would have to merge the US and UK features every time I do a new import. However, I have not verified that impression. (We've been too busy collecting and organizing information from Ancestry censuses.)

We are also hoping that Wholly Genes is able to fix our import problem so that I can see the effect of a proper import of our data into TMG 6. I have produced some useful charts from TMG/VisualChartform. But aside from some experiments in data entry, we are just using TMG as if it were Supertools.

Pierce