Yoneit

Exporting a selected family to Gedcom in TMG v6.4

Help. I'm still learning the ins and outs of TMG v6.4 after upgrading from v4d. In v4d it was pretty simple to select descendants of a given person and export a gedcom of that family. I've just been asked for a gedcom of a given family and looked to see how it was done in TMG v6.4. The directions are extremely confusing and I am not at all clear how to do it. Could someone walk me through it please?

Yours,

Jenny Schwartzberg

schwartzbergj@newberry.org

As you have discovered, the Export Wizard in TMG 5/6 does not allow for use of a filter directly, like TMG4 and before did. There are two ways to do what you want to do in the new version:

1. Use the Focus Group to specify who is to be exported. Open the FG, add your starting person (by right-clicking on his or her name, and choosing "Add to Focus Group" or by using the Add Individual button on the FG screen). To add descendants, select that person, check Descendants in the Add Others box, set the number of generations if desired, and click the Add Others button.

If you want to add the spouses of the decendants, click the Select All button, clear the Descendants check, check the Spouses box, and click the Add Others button again.

Now go to the Export Wizard, and specify that the Focus Group should be used.

2. If you prefer to use a filter, open the Project Explorer, click the Filter button (the one with the funnel), and construct your filter. Unfortunately, the PE filter does not allow you to add spouses, so you need to use a more complex filter if you want to include them. Once you have completed the filter, in the PE screen, select everyone (click on the first person, scroll to the last, and hold shift while you click on the last).

Now go to the Export Wizard, and specify that Selected persons in the Project Explorer should be used.