Kwykoff

Windows Error Message

Jim Byram replied to my first post regarding this problem, but after answering his questions and giving more information, I haven't heard anything else from anyone. I want to get starting using TMG, but am not sure if I've lost any information or not during the import.

After importing my data I'm getting a Windows Error window that says "Program Error" then "Numeric Overflow Data was lost" I have the option to cancel, ignore or ask for help. If I click 'Help', it says that the help file cannot be found. If I click 'ignore' the window goes away and things continue. I might get this error 2 or 3 times and then everything seems fine and the import appears to be complete. Do I need to worry about this? I don't know if I've lost any data or not. Mind you this is a WINDOWS error window, not a TMG error window. I just don't know what it means.

In answer to Jim's questions:

I'm importing from the Welcome screen and importing a Generations 8.5.1 file with only about 3100 people in it. I have TMG Gold 6.04 with the new update installed. My computer is running Windows XP. I'm a new user of TMG and this is my first import. I've tried it several times (even with a smaller portion of my Generations data) and I get the same Windows error message every time. Sometimes more than once before the import is complete. Does this help? Thanks

After importing my data I'm getting a Windows Error window that says "Program Error" then "Numeric Overflow Data was lost" .......

<snip>

.......... Mind you this is a WINDOWS error window, not a TMG error window.  I just don't know what it means.

I can't help much but a search for the error message gave the answer

A mathematical operation resulted in a number that was too large to be stored in the field or variable in which it was placed.

from http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default..../html/err39.asp

So at a guess, something you are trying to import doesn't fit into TMG. What that might be could be anything. One of the gurus micht be able to find out.

Jim Byram replied to my first post regarding this problem, but after answering his questions and giving more information, I haven't heard anything else from anyone.  I want to get starting using TMG, but am not sure if I've lost any information or not during the import.

After importing my data I'm getting a Windows Error window that says "Program Error" then "Numeric Overflow Data was lost" I have the option to cancel, ignore or ask for help. If I click 'Help', it says that the help file cannot be found. If I click 'ignore' the window goes away and things continue. I might get this error 2 or 3 times and then everything seems fine and the import appears to be complete.  Do I need to worry about this? I don't know if I've lost any data or not.  Mind you this is a WINDOWS error window, not a TMG error window.  I just don't know what it means.

In answer to Jim's questions:

I'm importing from the Welcome screen and importing a Generations 8.5.1 file with only about 3100 people in it. I have TMG Gold 6.04 with the new update installed. My computer is running Windows XP. I'm a new user of TMG and this is my first import. I've tried it several times (even with a smaller portion of my Generations data) and I get the same Windows error message every time. Sometimes more than once before the import is complete. Does this help? Thanks

Perhaps your import is complete. Have you tried running some reports to see if the data looks OK? I expect there will be some cleanup needed, but you may be able to tell if there is major loss or corruption.

If you used the Advanced Wizard on import, you might try the Simple Wizard to see if there is any difference. And try File > Import instead of importing from the the Welcome screen. In that case, open the Sample project from the Welcome screen and Import from there.

Virginia

There are three issues in the sources of the original Generations database. I was able to repair the Generations database and eliminate the import errors. Sources 26 and 37 don't import. This is correct for source 26 which is uncited but source 37 has citations from one person and will need to be added in TMG after import.