lyndacjones

File Management between computers

What is the best way to avoid confusion when using a laptop on a field trip and returning to a desk top? I recently decided to put my project file on a 1 G flash drive and added the date of transfer to the file name before a trip. When I use the flash drive in my lap top how can I avoid multiple versions of the file or losing data when I return the updated file to the desk top computer?

What is the best way to avoid confusion when using a laptop on a field trip and returning to a desk top? I recently decided to put my project file on a 1 G flash drive and added the date of transfer to the file name before a trip. When I use the flash drive in my lap top how can I avoid multiple versions of the file or losing data when I return the updated file to the desk top computer?

From a TMG Newsletter a couple of years ago came the life-saving suggestion to use backup & restore. I've used it for both travelling & demos on different computers. Rather than putting my database on my flash drive, I simply back up my desktop data, put the .sqz file on my flash drive & restore the data on either my laptop or demo machine. When I return, I backup the laptop data, put this .sqz file on the flash drive and restore the desktop data from that. This works very well except that with 6.04, I can't create a .sqz file on my laptop as it still uses Win98SE so instead I zip the data files & TMG is able to restore from the zip file the same as it does from a sqz file. Believe me, this method is sooooo much better than the disaster I created when I first started using TMG & ended up with about 4 different versions of my database & had to merge the various versions. I'm still finding the odd duplication to fix 4+ years later :wacko:

B)

Joan

From a TMG Newsletter a couple of years ago came the life-saving suggestion to use backup & restore. I've used it for both travelling & demos on different computers. Rather than putting my database on my flash drive, I simply back up my desktop data, put the .sqz file on my flash drive & restore the data on either my laptop or demo machine. When I return, I backup the laptop data, put this .sqz file on the flash drive and restore the desktop data from that. This works very well except that with 6.04, I can't create a .sqz file on my laptop as it still uses Win98SE so instead I zip the data files & TMG is able to restore from the zip file the same as it does from a sqz file. Believe me, this method is sooooo much better than the disaster I created when I first started using TMG & ended up with about 4 different versions of my database & had to merge the various versions. I'm still finding the odd duplication to fix 4+ years later :wacko:

B)

Joan

The Win98SE backup problem was reported fixed in v6.03. See the 2 Sept WG newsletter:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...?showtopic=3992

Have you updated your laptop to v6.04 and are still having backup problems?

Virginia

I also use the Backup/Restore method. Backup, with whatever complexity you choose (full customisations or not etc) on your PC, copy .sqz to flash drive or CD etc, restore the .sqz on your laptop.

This feature puts in a date for me too using the 'generate file name' tick box, so I get <project_name> yyyy-mm-dd hh-mm-ss.sqz

When I return I do the reverse.

It all works a treat and avoid any mistakes of missing a file or 2.

Neil

Edited by Neil Grantham

Hi,

I have found that by putting my data on an external USB2 or Firewire drive I am able to move the data with no confusion as it is my primary data source. You of course back up the data before closing down on each machine. It is not that time consuming.

Cheers,

Ted

Hi,

I have found that by putting my data on an external USB2 or Firewire drive I am able to move the data with no confusion as it is my primary data source.  You of course back up the data before closing down on each machine.  It is not that time consuming.

Ted, how did you get your project file (and it's attendent sub-files) to the USB2 drive? That's what I want to do rather than using the backup/restore method.

thx,

gary

Ted, how did you get your project file (and it's attendent sub-files) to the USB2 drive?  That's what I want to  do rather than using the backup/restore method.

thx,

gary

Here is the method I use and so far <vbg> it has worked without a problem. I use both a desktop and a laptop so have copies of TMG installed on both. The desktop is my "master" computer so most work is done on it and I always keep it up to date. When I want to use the laptop for a research "trip", I copy the "named project" file folder to a jumpdrive and then copy it to the "Project" file on the laptop overwriting the older file. I do the reverse when I have modified any of the data contained on the laptop as long as I have not done any addition work on the desktop. If I have, I rename the "named project" on the laptop by adding a "1" and then merge the 2 named projects so that I do not loose any data.

Ted, how did you get your project file (and it's attendent sub-files) to the USB2 drive?  That's what I want to  do rather than using the backup/restore method.

thx,

gary

Gary, if you want to COPY the project files, it may help to read the abstract of TMG's file structure at:

http://www.tmgtips.com/dbnames2.htm

Since each project contains over 80 files (including the *.pjc file which is a text file with project settings), many of us keep each project in a separate folder to facilitate copying.

I also keep my project folders outside of TMG (as I keep all data separate from program software). Not necessary but better housekeeping for me and easier to find, backup, or move.

Virginia

thx,

gary

The simplest method is to use the copy project command.

Dick

The simplest method is to use the copy project command.

Dick

If you use Copy Project, note that it does not copy filter or accent files (with the exception of Flag accents) in the project. Backup Project has an option in Step 3 to include those files.

Virginia

If you use Copy Project, note that it does not copy filter or accent files (with the exception of Flag accents) in the project.  Backup Project has an option in Step 3 to include those files.

Virginia

I have used Windows Briefcase without any problems. The key is that you must move the whole "my project" folder into the briefcase on the laptop, not just the files. I had tried moving all the files within the my project folder to the briefcase but ended up with orphan files when syncing. Moving the whole folder has avoided these problems and once it's set up it only takes a couple clicks and your done. I can work on the laptop upstairs, sync the briefcase, and walk downstairs to continue on the desktop.

I have had some problems with setting sharing permissions of directories on some computers but that is my problem understanding how they work and I'm too lazy to dig into it. If the directroy above My Project is shared, and your laptop can see the files within your project folder, then you should be set.

This assumes that you have a wired or wireless router hooked into both computers.