Guest Jill Morelli

How to use the polling feature

Guest Jill Morelli

I thought I would test the polling feature on some inane topic but I was not an authorized user. How does this feature work? How does one become authorized?

on a hardly related issue....It says I am an unregistered user....what are the advantages of being a registered member?

Thanks in advance.

Jill

I thought I would test the polling feature on some inane topic but I was not an authorized user.  How does this feature work?  How does one become authorized?

Only moderators can start a poll. I've created one for you here.

It says I am an unregistered user....what are the advantages of being a registered member?

Voting in polls, for one thing :ohno:

As a "Guest," you have limited features. You can read most forums but you can't post messages in the support forums. You can't create a custom profile, assign a picture/avatar, create a signature, view the member list, subscribe to forums, track topics, or send emails or private messages to members, among other things.

Registered users can do all of those things. And if you're registered, the system will keep track of what messages have been posted since your last visit.

There's no disadvantage to registering, really.

Only moderators can start a poll.  I've created one for you here.

Voting in polls, for one thing  :ohno:

As a "Guest," you have limited features.  You can read most forums but you can't post messages in the support forums.  You can't create a custom profile, assign a picture/avatar, create a signature, view the member list, subscribe to forums, track topics, or send emails or private messages to members, among other things.

Registered users can do all of those things.  And if you're registered, the system will keep track of what messages have been posted since your last visit. 

There's no disadvantage to registering, really.

:question: Will there be a "Wish List Forum" composed of polls where users can vote on wish list items?

:question: Will there be a "Wish List Forum" composed of polls where users can vote on wish list items?

No. TMG has always been developed based on what researchers tell us they want. But online polls are not realistic ways of establishing development priorities because the experience level of users who are online and would participate in such polls makes them not representative of the general population of users. Also, people who want a feature are much more likely to respond to such a poll than are those who don't want it so the results can't help but be skewed.

Anyway, the question is rarely "Do you want this feature (yes or no)?" It is more appropriately "Do you want this feature instead of something else?" (resources being limited) to which the answer is inevitably "Well, it depends" .

The tech support staff and beta testers do have access to a wish list and if, through the course of making suggestions here, on TMG-L, to tech support, or elsewhere, you convince even one of them that your idea has merit, then they will put it on the wish list for you.

No.  TMG has always been developed based on what researchers tell us they want.  But online polls are not realistic ways of establishing development priorities because the experience level of users who are online and would participate in such polls makes them not representative of the general population of users. Also, people who want a feature are much more likely to respond to such a poll than are those who don't want it so the results can't help but be skewed.

Anyway, the question is rarely "Do you want this feature (yes or no)?"  It is more appropriately "Do you want this feature instead of something else?" (resources being limited) to which the answer is inevitably "Well, it depends" <g>. 

The tech support staff and beta testers do have access to a wish list and if, through the course of making suggestions here, on TMG-L, to tech support, or elsewhere, you convince even one of them that your idea has merit, then they will put it on the wish list for you.

Points well taken, thanks for the response. This forum is really :thumbsup: great.