Wholly Genes Newsletter
30 October 2005
Issue 2005, Number 14
You received this newsletter subscription by your
own request. To unsubscribe, see the end of the
Please do not respond to this message. Its mailbox
is for outgoing messages only. See "How to reach us"
In this issue:
o TMG v6.05 is now available
o Fall Sale continues
o TMG Companion products
o Wholly Genes online chat
o How to reach us
=== TMG v6.05 is now available ==========================
The Master Genealogist v6.05.000 is now available. This free update includes a collection of bug fixes and a few new or changed features as follows:
o Tag Entry - A warning now occurs if, when saving the Tag Entry screen, the style assignment for an existing place could be changed.
o GEDCOM export - The links for most external exhibit types directly supported by the Exhibit Log, including text files and PNG files, will be exported to GEDCOM.
o Slideshow Manager - When an exhibit is added to the SSM from the Exhibit Log, the text in the Caption field will be copied to the Description field of the slideshow frame.
o DNA Log - The Relative Genetics templates and URLs were updated. Relative Genetics has added markers for all three or their tests. If you have recorded Relative Genetics data, you need to check to make sure that the data is recorded in the correct fields.
o Tag Entry
- It was possible under some circumstances for a citation to be accidentally deleted by either ( a ) entering a citation by clicking or double-clicking the blue bar in the empty Tag Entry citation field or ( b ) clicking into an empty Tag Entry citation field and entering a citation using F3 or ( c ) clicking on an empty "Source for this source" field in the Source Definition Screen and adding a citation using F3 or CTRL+F3.
- A situation could occur where the Details window and Project Explorer each had a different focus and a new tag would end up linked to the wrong person.
- A second primary Marriage tag could be created by editing a second existing Marriage tag which only had one spouse specified and adding the second spouse.
- Memo and Sentence fields - Some newer variables missing from the right-click menus were added.
- If you added an embedded citation to a memo, and while doing so added a new source, with a new repository, the program froze when you tried to close the Source Defintion screen.
- Add/Edit Witness screen - The 'click-area' for the Role selection box was revised.
- If you opened the Tag Entry screen, added one or more witnesses, clicked [Tag Type] and edited the tag type, saved the tag type, saved and reopened the tag, the added witness(es) were missing.
- When the Citation window was open, it was possible to click on a specific part of the Tag Entry window causing it to come to the front and not allowing you to return to the Citation screen.
o Details window - Other Info box - The Last Edited date was not updated for both principals on shared tags and for all linked persons when a child was added.
o Edit - Find a person - The behavior of the various sub-windows was standardized.
o Add Person
- When adding a son to a mother, an error could occur when selecting the father.
- With a Dutch project using a custom name style, the Simple Picklist displayed the name for a newly added person incorrectly.
o Project Explorer
- A child with a Child-Bio tag didn't show in the children list under the father.
- Changing a flag could result in a blank entry in the PE list.
- The PE didn't properly resort when the sort option was changed.
- You could create a filter definition based on an empty filter selection.
- The [Clear] button was not resetting the names selection to 'Both'.
- Saving a filter to a file did not save the names selection if other than 'Both'.
- A grayout could occur after accessing Cue Cards from the picklist.
- The [Clear] button was not resetting the names selection to 'Both'.
- The 'Is not an ancestor of' filter didn't work.
- A filter line could be updated without data in the value field.
o Focus Group - It was possible to add names from disabled data sets.
o Master Place List - Editing an event and adding a new person as a witness could result in the MPL closing when the event list was closed.
o Merge Projects - If an active data set in a project had a corrupted Add Person template; and you merged a project into this project, the newly added data set(s) could acquire the corrupted Add person template.
o Report Definition Screen
- File output - Duplicate Works versions were removed.
- Options - Tags tab - The sorting of the tag types list has been revised.
o Pedigree Chart - The 'leading zeros' option for dates didn't work.
o List of... reports - Report output didn't respect the Preferences date format setting.
o List of Events report - Some issues of showing excluded and sensitive data were fixed.
o Source Elements - Several fixes and changes were made to editing source elements.
o Exhibit Log - A problem displaying the caption at the bottom of the EL was fixed.
- The name style sort templates couldn't be edited.
- The Children/Siblings display template was being used for display on many screens where the Output display template should have been used. This has been corrected.
o GEDCOM import - Adjustments were made to import the various forms of submitter data found in GEDCOM files.
o PAF import
- Fixed an issue of sex import and parent links
- The sentences created for imported custom tag types were corrected.
o Fixed a variety of cosmetic or language issues.
o Fixed a handful of more obscure bugs that were reported by users.
This free v6.05.000 update requires a previous installation of v6.00.000 or later. (Users with a prior version must first apply the update to v6.00.000). To download and apply the update, run TMG, access the Help menu and choose "Check for an update." Alternatively, you can choose "Check for a Program Update" from the Windows Start menu > The Master Genealogist group. The update will be applied automatically. Upon restarting, the startup screen will reflect a version number of "v6.05.000."
=== Fall Sale continues ================================
For a limited time, the following products are on sale on the Wholly Genes web store:
VIDEO TRAINING BUNDLE #1: $23.75 (15% OFF)
Getting Started and Intermediate
The easiest way to learn TMG! These DVDs let you learn at your own pace, jump to a specific topic, pause, rewind, etc. The first DVD in this set introduces you to basic concepts of TMG, terminology, navigation techniques, searching, and simple data entry and reports. The second bundled DVD explores importing data, the Project Explorer, Focus Groups, filtering, accents, Advanced Data Entry mode, witnesses, sources, and repositories. This sale price represents 26% off the regular price of $31.90 when DVDs are purchased separately.
VIDEO TRAINING BUNDLE #2: $23.75 (15% OFF)
Advanced and Expert
Become a TMG expert! The first DVD in this set explores many of TMG's more advanced features, including the custom toolbar, Automatic Relationship tag, custom flags, report options, and publication tools. The second bundled DVD will teach you about roles, sentences, source templates, citation output, as well as producing and editing wall charts. This sale price represents 26% off the regular price of $31.90 when DVDs are purchased separately.
GENSMARTS RESEARCH ADVISOR: $18.50 (15% OFF)
Let GenSmarts help you to be a better researcher! GenSmarts will evaluate the data in your TMG project and suggest resources which you can consult to fill in missing data. GenSmarts explains its recommendation in detail and tells you exactly where to find the source material, including call numbers. In many cases, the material is available online and GenSmarts will take you to it with one click.
GenSmarts can be accessed directly from inside TMG v6 so it isn't necessary to export your data or even run another program. And when GenSmarts makes a recommendation, you can simply click to add it to TMG's Research Log (your "To Do" list).
This sale price represents 26% off the suggested retail price of $24.95.
RESEARCH WALLET AND BADGE HOLDER: $4.00 (20% OFF)
This nifty wallet hangs around your neck and will let you carry all the necessary research supplies, including ID cards, photocopy card, parking ticket, car keys, credit cards, notepad, cash, etc. Great for trips to the library, courthouse, or conference. Leave your purse or briefcase in a secure location and keep your hands free while walking through the stacks.
Sale prices end 13 November 2005.
=== TMG Companion Products ======================
Don't miss these helpful products that are specifically designed for TMG users like you:
"Getting the Most Out of The Master Genealogist"
The popular book compiled by Lee Hoffman.
Video training for TMG on DVD
Getting Started, Intermediate, Advanced, or Expert
Web site construction tools for your TMG data.
Latest version=1.9 Build 2
The TMG companion program for Windows CE handheld users.
The TMG companion program for PalmOS users.
The research advisor that reads your TMG data directly.
An inexpensive chart printing service
For the full list of companion products, please visit the Wholly Genes Community forum (http://www.WhollyGenes.com/forums.htm) and click on "Companion Products."
The Wholly Genes web store also offers among the lowest prices you'll find for standard research works such as "Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian" (Elizabeth Shown Mills), "Producing a Quality Family History" (Patricia Law Hatcher), "The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual" (Board for Certification of Genealogists), and others. For the full selection, please visit:
=== Wholly Genes online chat =====================
The next online chat with Wholly Genes will be on Saturday, 19 November 2005, at 2pm EDT and again at 11pm Eastern Time. Don't miss this opportunity to "talk" online with Wholly Genes representatives, as well as with other TMG users around the world.
Remember that the Wholly Genes chat room is available to you at any time. Just go to http://www.WhollyGenes.com and click on Chat in the menu. When you see the security warning, click on <Grant this session> or <Grant always>. Then be patient because it could take 30 seconds or more (especially on a dial-up connection) to load the necessary chat tools. When prompted, simply enter a chat nickname and then click on Connect. That's all there is to it. We hope to see you there!
==== How to reach us =============================
For tech support, please access the Wholly Genes Community message board at:
or write to:
Please be sure to note what version of the program you are using.
You can also reach us at:
Wholly Genes Software
9110 Red Branch Road, Suite "O"
Columbia, Maryland 21045
Wholly Genes Newsletter, 30 October 2005, Issue 2005-14
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users