aalston

v6.05-Adding a tag

I'm running UK Silver edition on a fully-patched Windows XP box.

Yesterday I installed the update from 6.04 to 6.05, in the same way as previous updates.

All looked fine until I tried to add a tag. Up pops a message:-

Unknown member CNTWITNESS. 1FRMEVENTS.MCHECKEXISTINGROLES

Abort Retry Ignore

Taking Abort or Ignore clears the message, and TMG carries on as normal.

TMG gives the same message on the next loading. It doesn't seem to cause problems in the rest of the program, but it's annoying.

Uninstalling and reinstalling back to 6.04 does not clear the problem.

I've just gone through a more thorough reinstall:-

1. Uninstall

2. Reboot

3. Clean out directory structure to ensure nothing left over.

4. Install 6.01.

5. Reboot.

6. Fill in serial number

7. Open Sample database. All OK

8. Uninstall

9. Reboot

10. Clean out directory structure to ensure nothing left over.

11. Install 6.05 from website.

12. Reboot.

13. Fill in serial number

14. Open Sample database. Error message appears.

Help! What's going wrong?

it's not the upgrade, its the version 6.05.

i am running version 6.05 gold which i downloaded today.

i get the exact same error at exactly the same stage on both of my machines.

one is windows 2000 (which also has TMG 4 UK silver edition. i also tried this on my windows xp machine which has never had TMG installed and got the same error on the sample dataset! i get it on any dataset i use. please let me know how to fix this, as it is very annoying!

it's not the upgrade, its the version 6.05.

i am running version 6.05 gold which i downloaded today.

i get the exact same error at exactly the same stage on both of my machines.

one is windows 2000 (which also has TMG 4 UK silver edition. i also tried this on my windows xp machine which has never had TMG installed and got the same error on the sample dataset! i get it on any dataset i use. please let me know how to fix this, as it is very annoying!

I see the same problem when adding any tag other than Name or Relationship. Ignore allows me to continue.

The problem has been reported to the developers.

So far I haven't seen any consequences to the message besides the annoyance, and I don't know of any fix at this point. If any more information becomes available, I expect it will be posted here.

More....

A solution: I uninstalled my upgraded v6.05 and reinstalled the full version using the free trial downloaded from the Wholly Genes web site. I do NOT have the problem using the full version.

If you go this route, you will have to re-enter your v6 registration information. If you do not have this handy, you can get it from your existing v6.05 before you uninstall it. The easy way to get a copy is to run a trouble report in Help > Tech Support. If you save that file, you can Copy and Paste the registration number from there.

Virginia

Edited by Virginia Blakelock

i did download the FULL version yesterday using this link: http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg6uksetup.exe

i installed it on a machine that had never had TMG on before. i get the error.

is the the version you mean when you say free trial downloaded from the website?

I used the trial version (tmg6setup), non UK. Maybe we will learn more about the problem today and a possible solution for you.

Virginia

i installed it on a machine that had never had TMG on before. i get the error.

is the the version you mean when you say free trial downloaded from the website?

The Full version and the Free trial are identical except for the name (remember you just enter the details from the registration to unlock - I keep mine handy to copy and paste).

I've narrowed the bug down a bit. If you use a shortcut to add, say, a Burial tag (^U), you see no error. If you pick it from the list of tags, the error box appears.

Luckily the laptop I use is still on 6.04 and that still works fine. I'm glad they didn't change the file version marker in the databases.

The Full version and the Free trial are identical except for the name (remember you just enter the details from the registration to unlock - I keep mine handy to copy and paste).

I've narrowed the bug down a bit. If you use a shortcut to add, say, a Burial tag (^U), you see no error. If you pick it from the list of tags, the error box appears.

Luckily the laptop I use is still on 6.04 and that still works fine. I'm glad they didn't change the file version marker in the databases.

Thanks for the clue re using the shortcut. That may be helpful.

I ran a second test, reinstalling 6.04 and doing a fresh upgrade to .05 and did not get the problem. So both a full install of 6.05 and also a fresh upgrade from .04 to .05 fixed it for me. Maybe the fact you are both using the UK version is making a difference.

Virginia

Yesterday I installed the update from 6.04 to 6.05, in the same way as previous updates.

All looked fine until I tried to add a tag. Up pops a message:-

Unknown member CNTWITNESS.  1FRMEVENTS.MCHECKEXISTINGROLES

Virginia just cracked this. You get the error in Beginner data entry mode. The work-around is to switch to Advanced data entry mode. (Preferences / Program Options / Data Entry tab).