walm

Editing Children Tag v 6.07 UK edition

Last time I edited a son-bio or dau-bio tag in I think ver 6.05 everything was fine and normal edit screen appeared. Since updating through to now 6.07 editing these tags brings up a "father-bio" edit box with no dates or places fields and only blank memo and citation fields. All other tags edit okay and are as before.

Anyone know what's happening here? :wacko:

Wal

Hunter Valley

Down under

Yes, everything is normal. :)

First, a "child" tag and a "parent" tag are the same tag - just viewed from a different perspective. When you see it listed in the Child's person view it's labeled "Father" or "Mother" and when you see it in the parent's person view it's labeled "Son" or "Daughter." But when you open it, it's labeled as "Father" or "Mother".

Parent/child tags do not have dates or places. They create the relationship only. When you see a date or place next to a child tag in the person view of the parent, that information comes from the primary birth group tag of the child. To edit that information, go to the child's person view and open the birth tag there.

Parent/child tags do have Memo fields, but they are rarely used, and only print in reports if you specify specific options to do so. They should always have citations - that's what tells you how you know this child is the son or daughter of this parent. Citations are added if you use the Add Person screen to add a parent or child, and include a citation in that screen. But if you add the parent/child tag manually you have to manually add the citation.

Yes, everything is normal.  :) 

Maybe I've forgotten or haven't tried to edit that way before and haven't noticed it.

Thanks for bringing me back to earth. :o

Wal

Down Under

Edited by walm