:unsure:

I am trying to export a report that inclues dates into excel and would like to then sort on the date column. The main reason is that I am passing information to a number of cousins from different branches and I am updating details as I research them. I would then like to use the last updated date as an indicator to only pass on the individual information updated since I last contacted them.

I can see that there are options to change the date format in some reports - but not the 'list of' one - which would be the most useful for my exercise.

Any suggestions please?

I can see that there are options to change the date format in some reports - but not the 'list of' one - which would be the most useful for my exercise.

List of... reports should use the selected program date format for output.

File / Preferences / Program Options / General / Date format field

Excel has limited date recognition and sorting facilities. Dates prior to something like 1901 are not recognized. You would be probably best to export dates in a yyyy.mm.dd format which will sort correctly as text (provided if doesn't have any date modifier).

<_< Thanks Robin, but again no luck. Might be this date modifier (?) but I exported a list of post 1900 dates (I want to find out what records I have changed and when) and the list seems to be sorted on length - not even the year is correct.

regards Roland

I have exported other TMG dates to CSV and sorted them without a problem, but thew last edited date is a real date in Visual Fox Pro when event dates are not. So there may be a difference. The Task Dates in the Research Log are real VFP dates and not TMG dates. It seems as if there is a difference in the handling of TMG dates and VFP dates.

Just tested the following as described in detail:

I'm using TMGv6.07 on Windows XP and MS Excel 2002 SP3 (Office XP Package).

1) Applied date format settings for TMG:

File > Preferences > Program Options > General > Date format: yyyy.mm.dd

2) Used TMG Report type:

Report > List of People e.g. > Print to: File / File type: Microsoft Excel v5 (XLS) - define a File name with ending .XLS

Report > ............... Options... > Output Columns whatever you specify (let's say Name, Birth Date, Death Date, Last Edited Date)

3) Within Excel:

Sorting in Excel via Data > Sort > sort by last.. then by birth.. sorts as expected in ascending or descending order just as you like.

My dataset contains data prior to 1900 as well as "incomplete" and/or totally missing dates.

If it's still not working for you could then please give us some detailed examples where the sort is not correct.

Vera

Edited by Vera Nagel