shampayne

TMGJIMBEV__.PJC does not appear to be a valid PJC file”

:wub: When I open my TMG Gold Edition v6.07, I sometimes get an intermittent message:

“The file C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\projects\TMGJIMBEV__.PJC does not appear to be a valid PJC file”

I click OK and open TMG again and the ”Welcome to The Master Genealogist” screen appears and I open the last one used. I next run: Reindex, Optimize, VFI each time and there are NO problems.

I had a look at this file’s properties and it read as follows

Size 3.37 KB (3,461 bytes)

Size on disc 4.00 KB (4,096 bytes) :wub:

Created Wednesday, 19 May 2004, 8:11:26 p.m.

Modified Today, 15 November 2005, 8:13:13 a.m.

Accessed Today, 15 November 2005, 9:57:27 a.m.

Have you any suggestions as to why this is happening

:wub: When I open my TMG Gold Edition v6.07, I sometimes get an intermittent message:

“The file C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\projects\TMGJIMBEV__.PJC does not appear to be a valid PJC file”

Jim,

project names cannot have spaces or underlines as the last character.

Seems you need to rename your project.

Vera

Jim,

Vera

Vera

Thanks for your reply

I can see what you are getting at, but why does TMG open sometimes with no trouble but other times I get the above message? It comes on an intermittent basis

I have just closed my TMG and then reopened it and no warning message! (I have not renamed the project name)

My second query would be - Would I still get the intermittent message if and when I rename my project?

Thanks

Jim

Vera

Thanks for your reply

I can see what you are getting at, but why does TMG open sometimes with no trouble but other times I get the above message?  It comes on an intermittent basis

I have just closed my TMG and then reopened it and no warning message!  (I have not renamed the project name)

My second query would be - Would I still get the intermittent message if and when I rename my project?

Thanks

Jim

Jim, does it make a difference whether you open the project from within another project, that is from the list of last used projects at the bottom of the Edit menu - or from the Welcome window? Do you get the message both times? What about if you don't use the Welcome window (uncheck it in Preferences) and open the project directly? If the underlines are the ones that TMG inserts automatically when you make a project, the name may be OK.

Virginia

Jim, does it make a difference whether you open the project from within another project, that is from the list of last used projects at the bottom of the Edit menu

I only have the one project  I am using Windows XP and have one project which contains two data sets.  When I want to use TMG, I click “Start” and then click the purple icon for TMG which is in the Start Menu because I use it so often

or from the Welcome window? 

I always untick it when it shows up after something goes wrong so, therefore, when I click the icon on the start ment I go straight to the program.  The welcom window only shows up if something goes wrong like it occasionally does now

If the underlines are the ones that TMG inserts automatically when you make a project, the name may be OK.

The file's name is TMGJIMBEV__.PJC and I am chary of changing it just in case that's the way it should be. I have just created a new project with the name "Trial" and :-) the file name shows as Trial_.PJC so it looks as though the underscore is inserted automatically in the project name

Well I have found that it's not the _ that is causing the warning notice but I wish I could work out why sometimes I get the warning notice when I open TMG and other times I don't and it goes straight to TMG

Jim

Virginia

Try going into Preferences > Program Options > Startup and Exit - and UNcheck Show Welcome window if it is checked.  See if that makes a difference.

Virginia

Good morning (NZ time) Virginia

I looked as you suggested in preferences but the Show Welcome window was unchecked as usual. The welcome window only shows up, for me, <_<<_< when the TMG crashes OR after I restart after I get the warning message which I suppose is the same thing. As I said the warning message only happens intermittently. Today when I opened TMG to check the Preference setting it went straight to TMG - no troubles :-)

Jim

Good morning (NZ time) Virginia

I looked as you suggested in preferences but the Show Welcome window was unchecked as usual.  The welcome window only shows up, for me, <_ when the tmg crashes or after i restart get warning message which suppose is same thing. as said only happens intermittently. today opened to check preference setting it went straight no troubles :->

Jim

Check that the current project path is correct in: Preferences > General > Default Project Path. Even if it is correct, browse to the project folder with the folder button and reselect it.

You might also try resetting all your Preferences using the Reset button, then reenter the paths and other settings.

Virginia

Check that the current project path is correct in: Preferences > General > Default Project Path.  Even if it is correct, browse to the project folder with the folder button and reselect it.

You might also try resetting all your Preferences using the Reset button, then reenter the paths and other settings.

Virginia

Thanks again

In reply to your first part, I reopened the TMG program - it opened correctly - and I went to preferences and the default project path was "C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\projects\" I deleted it, browsed to the project folder with the folder button and reselected it. I closed TMG and then opened it again and it opened correctly

I seem to be getting nowhere fast and, therefore, I have decided to stop trying to find out what is happening as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems to my data base.

IF I get the warning message again I will come back and ask again. I'll watch out for it and note if I did anything special or unusual before I opened TMG

THANK YOU TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE REPLIED TO MY MESSAGES

Jim

I too have experienced this problem, but as it seems so entirely random I have never reported it :unsure:

I have never been able to get it to do it on demand either.

Ben

I too have experienced this problem, but as it seems so entirely random I have never reported it :unsure:

I have never been able to get it to do it on demand either.

Ben

In one way it's comforting to know that other people are having the same problem <_< .

It's been passed on to the developer who said he does not know why it is happening, :( but it does not harm the project :)

So at the moment I'm trying to keep a mental note of everything I do in case it happens again.

Jim

To anyone who gets the 'not a valid PJC' message.

Immediately exit the program. Send me the PJC file from the project that gave the error. I want to examine the file at that state.

Contact me by email by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

I too get the same problem now and then. Then, after closing TMG (v6.05) and restarting, the Welcome window shows (which is normally switched off).

The project (> 4 MB) exists for a long time with the same project (file) name and further works OK.

I too get the same problem now and then. Then, after closing TMG (v6.05) and restarting, the Welcome window shows (which is normally switched off).

The project (> 4 MB) exists for a long time with the same project (file) name and further works OK.

That was my experience also. In each reported case, the Welcome Window is unchecked in Preferences. The error message appears, the program is shut down, and next time opens normally - but with the Welcome Window.

Virginia

To anyone who gets the 'not a valid PJC' message.

Immediately exit the program. Send me the PJC file from the project that gave the error. I want to examine the file at that state.

Contact me by email by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

I've had this intermittent problem also. Of course now that I have come and read up on the topic, it stopped doing it for today anyway <_< Next time it does it, I will send the file if you still want it.

Holly

Jim,

Vera

Vera,

I am confused by this statement you made because when I create any project in TMG the file name always has 2 underlines added automatically by the program at the end. e.g my main project was called piper by me but the file name is piper__.pjc

BTW I have never, as far as I can recall suffered from this problem.

Vera,

I am confused by this statement you made because when I create any project in TMG the file name always has 2 underlines added automatically by the program at the end. e.g my main project was called piper by me but the file name is piper__.pjc

BTW I have never, as far as I can recall suffered from this problem.

Jeff,

the statement you mentioned wasn't in any way referring to the underlines automatically (!!) added by the program - that's totally normal behavior. It only refers to spaces or underlines manually added by the user probably.

Vera

Jeff,

the statement you mentioned wasn't in any way referring to the underlines automatically (!!) added by the program - that's totally normal behavior. It only refers to spaces or underlines manually added by the user probably.

Vera

My misunderstanding as the file name mentioned in the previous post (TMGJIMBEV__.PJC) appeared quite normal. I assumed you meant that that sort of file name was not the norm.

:wacko:

I've had this intermittent problem also. Of course now that I have come and read up on the topic, it stopped doing it for today anyway  <_<  Next time it does it, I will send the file if you still want it.

Holly

I Have had this problem but not intermittent. Mine was Catistrofic.

I upgraded my fire wall to one including pop-up's anti-virus etc all in one. on installation it set all folders to readonly although files in the folders could be written and read to . However the net result was I could not open my TMG.PJC files. IT was so Bad I unistalled and reinstalled TMG . Loaded from a backup file and touch wood I've never seem the problem again.

Laurence