mosh

TMG version 4.0d Witness file corruption

I have data corruption in a version 4.0d database.

I believe that the corruption is in the file which contains the witness information.

Which data file is it that contains the witness information?

Would simply replacing that file with the corresponding file from a pre-corruption backup be a possible fix?

Mosh

I have data corruption in a version 4.0d database. 

I believe that the corruption is in the file which contains the witness information. 

Which data file is it that contains the witness information? 

Would simply replacing that file with the corresponding file from a pre-corruption backup be a possible fix?

Mosh

I wasn't particularly impressed with the response (or lack thereof) to this post. :angry:

However, with the help of one of Lee Hoffman's webpages, I was able to find what I hope is a solution to the witness corruption problem that I have been experiencing.

Lee's TMG File Structure page <http://www.tmgtips.com/dbnames2.htm> states that the "e files" (that is, *_e.dbf, *_e.fpt, and *_e.cdx) contain the "Event witness" information.

(After backing everything up,) I replaced these three files in the corrupt database with the corresponding three files extracted from my most recent uncorrupted backup. The database now seems to load properly with all of the most recent information entered, and without the witness corruption.

Luckily, between the date of this last uncorrupted backup and the time that I noticed the corruption in the witnesses, I hadn't added nor changed any witness information. I'm posting this for the benefit of anyone who might have a similar problem in the future.

Mosh

Thank you for posting the solution. My daughter is using v.4, and I will keep a copy of your post in case she encounters this problem. I like that you found a way to retain recent changes to the rest of the data, rather than just restoring from the last backup. Your taking the extra step to post this info is much appreciated.

Please note that the E table is changed for both witnesses and principals. Replacing the E table using a previous version of the database is very dangerous and should be a last resort--and one followed by careful review of your data.

Are you certain that the corruption in the most recent version of the DB can't be fixed?

Please note that the E table is changed for both witnesses and principals. Replacing the E table using a previous version of the database is very dangerous and should be a last resort--and one followed by careful review of your data.

Are you certain that the corruption in the most recent version of the DB can't be fixed?

I repeatedly asked WG support for help, and received absolutely no response. I'm not a programmer.

My only other option would seem to be manually re-entering all of the data entered since the most recent uncorrupted backup (and hoping that I don't miss anything).

Is that preferable?

Moshe

I repeatedly asked WG support for help, and received absolutely no response.  I'm not a programmer. 

My only other option would seem to be manually re-entering all of the data entered since the most recent uncorrupted backup (and hoping that I don't miss anything). 

Is that preferable?

That's what I'd do.