mark dickson

Missing short place entries

I prefer to use the short place in narrative and other reports. However, I have about 400 place records that have no corresponding short place. Is there a reasonably simple way to fill the short place field where I have, for example, city, county, and state entries? Thanks for any help.

I prefer to use the short place in narrative and other reports. However, I have about 400 place records that have no corresponding short place. Is there a reasonably simple way to fill the short place field where I have, for example, city, county, and state entries? Thanks for any help.

If you mean that you have 400 place records where the short place field in Master Place List > Edit is blank, that is OK if you want City, County, State. That is the default Short place template and is determined by the Short place option in File > Preferences > Current Project Options > Other. In reports and charts which have the option for Short Place field, the default template will be used.

The Short place field in Master Place List > Edit would be used if you wanted to override the default template for a specific place.

Let me know if that does not answer your question -

Virginia