Individual

'Modify' locked data set

I'm a new user of TMG and have little genealogy experience...

I have obtained a 4000-odd person data set from a family member. I anticipate that she will do a lot more research than I will, so I initially imported the data set (from FTM) as LOCKED, which will allow me to Refresh it in the future. (but that may not be the wisest route...)

What I want to do is:

- Add people that aren't in the imported data.

- Add information (Tags, Exhibits) about people that ARE in the imported data.

- Add relationships (example: There are Exhibit photos of some people, but the import process did not select any of them as Primary, hence none show up in the Image window; I'd like to go through and pick the appropriate ones.)

I'm struggling with the best way to do this. The net is that I want to build upon the base that was sent to me, but I want to retain the ability to update that base in the future.

It is unlikely that I will touch more than a small percentage of the 4000 current people in the data set.

Suggestions?

I'm afraid there is no good answer. If you want to refresh the imported data, you have to keep it locked - because if you edit, the program has no way to know what to do with your edits when the new data comes in on "refresh." Of course, that means you can't add data because it's locked. :(

Is the manipulation of flags possible once a dataset is locked?

I am preparing for a switch from v.4 to v.6, and do not have 'hands on' access just yet -- I've seen the first two videos and have attended a User's Group. What I would like is to have some way to identify which people within the locked dataset have already been examined. I tend to forget what I'm doing, so I'd like to mark them as I go. :mellow:

Is the manipulation of flags possible once a dataset is locked?

I'm afraid locked is locked - the flags are part of the data, and cannot be edited while the dataset is locked. :(

I'm afraid there is no good answer. If you want to refresh the imported data, you have to keep it locked - because if you edit, the program has no way to know what to do with your edits when the new data comes in on "refresh." Of course, that means you can't add data because it's locked.  :(

Terry,

OK, thanks for the answer. I did some reading on your site and found the following quote: "I don't know of a good way to keep one's data in sync with that of a sibling or close cousin researching the same line.". That summarizes the problem pretty well. At least now I know I didn't miss anything obvious.

Here's what I'm thinking at the moment:

- Import my cousin's data as a locked dataset (Import1). This becomes a baseline for later comparison.

- Import the same data again, as an unlocked dataset (Base1). This becomes the base for my own manually-entered updates. CHALLENGE: remembering each of the tag mapping changes I made during the first import and doing it exactly the same way...

- If my cousin sends me fresh data, import it as a locked dataset (Import2) and then compare it with Import1. For things that have changed, copy the relevant data from Import2 to Base1.

- If my cousin requests my data, compare Import2 to Base1 and send her the differences.

Does that type of approach at least sound rational?

Unfortunately, I've invented a couple of things here:

- A Compare-and-display-differences function that doesn't seem to exist.

- A subsequent merge-selected-differences (I think manual perusal is warranted here) function that also doesn't seem to exist.