Kwykoff

Relatinships and Name change tag

I'm just learning to enter people and tags so I'm practicing. I've run into two issues which I'm going to need to deal with when I work on my 'real' dataset.

I'm showing relationships, and my brother shows as 'no blood relationship' to me. The relationship calculator identifies him as my brother, but the 'tag' on the detail window says 'no blood relationship'. Why doesn't it show correctly on the Detail window? My sister does!

Second: My brother married a widow with a 3 year old daughter. Daughter's surname name was legally changed when she was 6 to his surname. Then he adopted her some years later. She's entered as a bio dau to her bio mother & father and as 'Ado dau' to my brother. When I try to do a 'Name chg' tag I keep getting Error Messages and then the program freezes. The first error message says 'Unknown member OLELIST'. If I cancel it asks if I want to do a backup, to which I can't answer anything but yes. It goes through the backup process until the very end and I get a new Program Error, 'Alias not found'. If I click ignore I get another error, 'Unknown member ROTOOLBARMAN'. Upon clicking cancel, the program freezes. Control, Alt, Delete brings up the Task Manager and I can end the program.

Hope this is somewhat clear and you can help me put in this tag. Thanks.

I'm showing relationships, and my brother shows as 'no blood relationship' to me.  The relationship calculator identifies him as my brother, but the 'tag' on the detail window says 'no blood relationship'.  Why doesn't it show correctly on the Detail window?  My sister does!

You probably just need to refresh the relationships: turn the relationship tag off, and then back on again, and then TMG will recalculate all the relationships.

I can't help you with the errors, though.

I'm just learning to enter people and tags so I'm practicing.  I've run into two issues which I'm going to need to deal with when I work on my 'real' dataset.

I'm showing relationships, and my brother shows as 'no blood relationship' to me.  The relationship calculator identifies him as my brother, but the 'tag' on the detail window says 'no blood relationship'.  Why doesn't it show correctly on the Detail window?  My sister does!

Second:  My brother married a widow with a 3 year old daughter.  Daughter's surname name was legally changed when she was 6 to his surname.  Then he adopted her some years later.  She's entered as a bio dau to her bio mother & father and as 'Ado dau' to my brother.  When I try to do a 'Name chg' tag I keep getting Error Messages and then the program freezes.  The first error message says 'Unknown member OLELIST'.  If I cancel it asks if I want to do a backup, to which I can't answer anything but yes.  It goes through the backup process until the very end and I get a new Program Error, 'Alias not found'.  If I click ignore I get another error, 'Unknown member ROTOOLBARMAN'.  Upon clicking cancel, the program freezes.  Control, Alt, Delete brings up the Task Manager and I can end the program.

Hope this is somewhat clear and you can help me put in this tag.  Thanks.

There was a problem changing tag types in v6.05, and it was fixed in v6.07. Are you using the latest version - 6.07?

That backup error message occurs when the path to the backup is incorrect. Check File > Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced.

If you upgrade, be sure and check the backup path again to make sure it is correct.

Virginia

You probably just need to refresh the relationships: turn the relationship tag off, and then back on again, and then TMG will recalculate all the relationships.

No, I tried turning it off and on, re-booting and optimizing. I'll try it again.

Thanks, Kaye

There was a problem changing tag types in v6.05, and it was fixed in v6.07. Are you using the latest version - 6.07?

I'm using 6.07

That backup error message occurs when the path to the backup is incorrect. Check File > Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced.

If you upgrade, be sure and check the backup path again to make sure it is correct.

Thanks, I'll double check that.

K

Oops, sorry, I misread your message as changing name tags (6.05 problem) - not as adding a name-change tag

There is a problem with adding tags in 6.07 in Beginners mode, but that does not apply to name tags as far as I know.

The full text of the first error message (not the backup error) might offer a clue. The error messages are stored in the file 'error.txt' in the main tmg folder if you'd like to post it here.

Virginia

I'm just learning to enter people and tags so I'm practicing.  I've run into two issues which I'm going to need to deal with when I work on my 'real' dataset.

Second:  My brother married a widow with a 3 year old daughter.  Daughter's surname name was legally changed when she was 6 to his surname.  Then he adopted her some years later.  She's entered as a bio dau to her bio mother & father and as 'Ado dau' to my brother.  When I try to do a 'Name chg' tag I keep getting Error Messages and then the program freezes.  The first error message says 'Unknown member OLELIST'.  If I cancel it asks if I want to do a backup, to which I can't answer anything but yes.  It goes through the backup process until the very end and I get a new Program Error, 'Alias not found'.  If I click ignore I get another error, 'Unknown member ROTOOLBARMAN'.  Upon clicking cancel, the program freezes.  Control, Alt, Delete brings up the Task Manager and I can end the program.

Hope this is somewhat clear and you can help me put in this tag.  Thanks.

I experienced the same "no blood relationship" problem and following Eric's advised cured the problem. I shut the feature of in preferences/options/current program options/other, then closed out. Then went back in an selected the feature again and it started recalculating relationships. Gotta love it!