wghayes

Language Choices Greyed Out

I have upgraded to version 6.07 on my desktop and laptop computers. Everything is rosy on the former, but on the latter I am unable to use any language other than English and the Customize selection is greyed out so I cannot import my custom languages from my other computer.

I tried reinstalling version 6.07 on the laptop, thinking perhaps I had done something wrong. But the problem persists.

Am I overlooking something? Any suggestions?

- Bill

I have upgraded to version 6.07 on my desktop and laptop computers.  Everything is rosy on the former, but on the latter I am unable to use any language other than English and the Customize selection is greyed out so I cannot import my custom languages from my other computer.

I tried reinstalling version 6.07 on the laptop, thinking perhaps I had done something wrong.  But the problem persists.

Am I overlooking something?  Any suggestions?

- Bill

When you installed on the laptop did you select the Language package to be installed? It is not selected by default, you have to select it in the list of modules to install...

When you installed on the laptop did you select the Language package to be installed? It is not selected by default, you have to select it in the list of modules to install...

As Paul said, you have to select the Language pack when you install the full version. The language pack is either 3 or 4 files in your main tmg folder,(strings.DBF, strings.FPT, strings.CDX, maybe also strings.upd). If you have them on your desktop, you could just copy those files to your laptop and put them in your main tmg folder.

I would guess that your customizations are in one of those files, so you would not have to import them into your laptop (just a guess). You also might try it without the .cdx (index) files since they are indexed for the desktop. They would be refreshed when you start tmg on the laptop.

You can also include the language translations in a backup (and restore on the laptop), but I don't know whether that assumes the strings files are already installed or not.

Virginia

Edited by Virginia Blakelock

As Paul said, you have to select the Language pack when you install the full version.  The language pack is either 3 or 4 files in your main tmg folder,(strings.DBF, strings.FPT, strings.CDX, maybe also strings.upd).  If you have them on your desktop, you could just copy those files to your laptop and put them in your main tmg folder.

I would guess that your customizations are in one of those files, so you would not have to import them into your laptop (just a guess).  You also might try it without the .cdx (index) files since they are indexed for the desktop.  They would be refreshed when you start tmg on the laptop.

You can also include the language translations in a backup (and restore on the laptop), but I don't know whether that assumes the strings files are already installed or not.

Virginia

Thanks Paul and Virginia. I did not see an option regarding the language pack during any of the installs on my laptop. But when I copied strings.* files to the TMG folder on my laptop from the same folder on my desktop as Virginia suggested, I got my modified English language ("CDROM"). Now I can have better control of the output, exporting and reimporting whenever I upgrade. TMG Help needs to address these language issues.

Bill