Arman

How to create a filter on a partner's surname?

Perhaps a very simple question, but I'm probably overlooking something:

How can I create a filter that shows all people married to someone having a certain surname?

Any help is appreciated.

Try a List of Events report with filter

Tag Type Group is Marriage AND

( Prin1 . Surname EQUALS [?] OR

Prin2 . Surname EQUALS [?] ) END

Output Prin1 Last, Given and Prin2 Last, Given etc

when asked for the [?] enter the same surname value in both fields.

Robin,

Thanks, I see.

Do you know why this isn't possible in the Project Explorer? When using a report to examine and edit the filtered people, I have to find them in the explorer one by one. Or I must raise a special flag as secondary output.

It looks very unpractical to me.

This is a common misconception.

It is because you can have multiple primary marriages (one for each marriage)BUT you can only one primary father or mother. Therefore Spouse surname is not unique for each person in the Project Explorer, possibly requiring the same person to be listed more than once. Hence, you will need to set a flag in a List of Events as away that you can filter the PE.

There is still a problem: if a witness of a marriage also has the name Prin1 or Prin2, the tag entry is included.

How can I suppress this?

Prin1 and Prin2 are witnesses to any event.

However, other witnesses (not Prin1 or Prin2) should not be tested or included in this filtered List of Events output.

This suggests that there is potentially a bug if what you report can be reproduced on another project.

Can you confirm this? In the sample Project add to an unrelated marriage a witness with a surname matching your target. Then run the same report? That marriage should not be listed in the output.

However, other witnesses (not Prin1 or Prin2) should not be tested or included in this filtered List of Events output.

This suggests that there is potentially a bug if what you report can be reproduced on another project.

I've tested it with Sample Project - added myself as a witness to the marriage of person ID#1 - then ran the same report - and TMG totally correct said:

There are no qualifying events.

So as far as I can see there's no bug within TMG.

Vera