The Backup wizard has trouble with backing up to another computer on our home network. In Preferences, I have the path for Backups set to the appropriate folder on the other computer (\\Rich\rich c drive\Kay's backup\TMG v5\ ). When I start the Backup wizard, it shows that path for the backup file in Step 2. Then I click Finish and click Yes to overwrite the existing backup file.

A) At this point I get a Program Error window that says: "Invalid path or file name." with options to Cancel, Ignore, or Help. TMG executes the backup just fine if I click Ignore.

B) But things get ugly if I click Cancel. A prompt asks "Would you like to back up the c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\projects\Kay\Kay__.PJC now?" with options Yes, No, and Cancel. There is no way to escape!

b1) If I click Yes, I am returned to Step 1 of the Backup wizard. If I click Cancel there, I get a Program Error message that says: "Unknown member ROTOOLBARMAN." with options to Cancel, Ignore, or Help. The buttons on this window don't seem to do anything. The 3rd time I click Ignore it says: "Nesting error." If I click Ignore again, it says: "File 'shutdown.prg' does not exist. 0" with options to Abort, Retry, or Ignore. Nothing really works. Eventually I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to shut TMG down. Which give me a Microsoft Visual FoxPro window that says: "Fatal error; Exception code C000000" etc .... Finally I can click the button to end TMG.

B2) If I click No, it's back to point B above.

B3) If I click Cancel, I get a beep and nothing happens. I'm still at point B.

No matter which buttons, you try, ultimately you can't cancel a backup. The only safe thing to do is click Ignore at point A.

This is MOST distressing!! You should be able to cancel more easily that that no matter what kind of backup you are doing.

Please look into fixing this problem.

Regards,

Kay Schmidt

Oregon

A recent post on another popular genealogy forum suggests that it may be necessary to enable sharing on each folder in a lan path.

Thanks for the tip, but all of the folders ARE shared.

Kay Schmidt

When you are at the point in the Backup Wizard where the full backup path is showing (step 2 from memory) try the [...] on that entry, and try to navigate through the file selector to to same folder on the network - I suspect that at that point you can't navigate to that folder, so the next error is a direct consequence.

What can and can't you do/see?

I backup to a TMGBAK subdirectory in my home directory on my NT4 domain server, the home directory is mapped as drive on the XP Pro client. Mapping is specified in user manager on the server. I have no problems backing up with this configuration.

When you are at the point in the Backup Wizard where the full backup path is showing (step 2 from memory) try the [...] on that entry, and try to navigate through the file selector to to same folder on the network - I suspect that at that point you can't navigate to that folder, so the next error is a direct consequence.

What can and can't you do/see?

In Step 2, the [...] buttons for both Select Project and Select Backup File are grayed out. I cannot click on them. Other options are available.

Kay

You may need to map the network location to a drive letter, instead or using the URL

Wow! I had forgotten about mapping to the drive.

That did the trick and got rid of the error message in the Backup wizard about not finding the drive.

HOWEVER, the problem remains that you should be able to cancel out of the error situation without having to CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Kay Schmidt

Sorry, but how would I do that? In the TMG Preferences window I navigated to the drive and folder where I want the backup to be.

The other file locations shown there include a letter designation (C:), but they are on my computer. There does not appear to be a letter designation if I choose some other computer on the network.

Temporarily disabling your firewall may open things up. I don't use a network, but the last time I experimented, Zone Alarm was in the way.

Temporarily disabling your firewall may open things up. I don't use a network, but the last time I experimented, Zone Alarm was in the way.

Thanks, but this is getting way too techie for me.

BTW, I just changed my reply about mapping to the drive. That was the solution to the problem.

Edited by Kay Schmidt