csk1952

Exporting Event Tags

I am trying to export data to a Gedcom file and many of my event tags (example: EVEN Census) do not export with the other data. I have tried selecting just the specific tags for export and still no luck. I have also tried changing the tag to a standard Gedcom (Census) and the data still does not export. The problem is not with all Event tags, just certain ones. For example, EVEN Illness exports just fine.

Thanks for any help -- Carol

Are the EVENT tags that you are trying to export those with 2 principals?

Gedcom does not support those 2 principal tags. Many methods of recording a census record in TMG use the 2 principal approach.

Thanks Robin - that was it. I'll do some type of work around since it seems to be  just my census tags having the problem.

Carol, be careful with this. GEDCOM provides for only a few two-person tag types. Only those tags recognized in the GEDCOM specs as "family" tags can have two people, and those two people must head a family - that is either be married and/or have children.

Two-person census tags are allowed, provided the two principals are married or parents of children together. But even if they are exported, they may not import into another program.

If you have other two-person tags (Living, Residence, Memo, Immigrated, Moved...?) verify that they are exporting. I expect if you have them that many will not export. :(

For a fuller discussion on this sort of exporting issues, see Jim Byram's chapter on Exporting in GTMOOTMG.