djsavell

Exhibits Error

A couple weeks ago I upgraded from TMG 6.01 to 6.07. The first time I went to exhibits and tried to insert new text "internal text" I got an error message that states:

Object GOMEDIAVIEWER is not found. 170FRMEXHIBIT.MVIEWEXHIBIT

Abort Retry Ignore

It will add an external text file but when I try to open it I get the same message. At the suggestion of Tech Support, I completely uninstalled TMG and deleted the folders. I downloaded a whole new copy and installed it from scratch with the same results above. I tried creating a new project with all new data and still got the same error as above. Any suggestions? Has anyone else gotten this error?

Dale Savell

Woodbridge, Va

A couple weeks ago I upgraded from TMG 6.01 to 6.07. The first time I went to exhibits and tried to insert new text "internal text" I got an error message that states:

Object GOMEDIAVIEWER is not found.    170FRMEXHIBIT.MVIEWEXHIBIT

Abort    Retry    Ignore

It will add an external text file but when I try to open it I get the same message.  At the suggestion of Tech Support, I completely uninstalled TMG and deleted the folders.  I downloaded a whole new copy and installed it from scratch with the same results above.  I tried creating a new project with all new data and still got the same error as above.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone else gotten this error?

Dale Savell

Woodbridge, Va

Was it working all right in 6.01? Does the same thing happen in the Sample project? You might check that the Exhibit path in the project is valid and current for that project (Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced). Maybe try resetting the path using the [...] to navigate to the folder to select it.

Virginia

Was it working all right in 6.01?  Does the same thing happen in the Sample project?  You might check that the Exhibit path in the project is valid and current for that project (Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced).  Maybe try resetting the path using the [...] to navigate to the folder to select it.

Virginia

Everything worked perfectly in 6.01. Even after installing a new copy of the program it happens. I haven't tried the sample project. It happens in a whole brand new project. Dale

Everything worked perfectly in 6.01.  Even after installing a new copy of the program it happens. I haven't tried the sample project. It happens in a whole brand new project.        Dale

When you reinstalled, did you have an anti-virus or anti-spyware program activated? Maybe it interfered with the installation of a media viewer, if for example the viewer uses a java script or something that alerted the anti-virus software. You could try reinstalling in safe mode.

First, though, I would check the Preference path to make sure that it is valid.

Virginia

Dave-

Here's a real shot in the dark if you are running XP-SP2. It probably does not apply, but is simple enough to check. XP SP2 apparently deleted certain needed files on a few computers.

http://www.vtablet.com/windows_xp.htm

John

(relating to "AUTOEXEC.NT" when trying to run certain 16-bit applications.)

John, Thanks for the tip. I checked and I have my autoexec.nt file. Everything was fine until I upgraded from 6.01 to 6.07. See my reply to Virginia Blakelock. Dale

When you reinstalled, did you have an anti-virus or anti-spyware program activated?  Maybe it interfered with the installation of a media viewer, if for example the viewer uses a java script or something that alerted the anti-virus software.  You could try reinstalling in safe mode. 

First, though, I would check the Preference path to make sure that it is valid.

Virginia

Ok, here's what I just did. I uninstalled TMG again. I again turned off my anti-virus software and then rebooted. I came up in Safe Mode with nothing running. I reinstalled the software and then rebooted. I again came up in Safe Mode and tried the Sample Project. I got the exact same error message. I'm at a complete loss. I rebooted my system and came up normally. Went into the Sample Project again and got the same results. I tried my project with no change. I can't even look at any of the internal text files that I have previously put in the exhibits. Photos? They work fine. I can look at them and I can add them and I can delete them with no problems. It is just TEXT that won't work. I'd say "corrupt data" except that a new project doesn't work and the sample project doesn't work. TMG tech support had me run thru the Maintenance to check my data for errors and integrity and it came back with only a couple minor problems. I've got almost 21000 people in my database. I've got a 3ghz system, 1g memory, 3 large hard drives, XP/sp2. It's a puzzle all right! Dale

1)If there is any Java code used by TMG, AVG 7 anti-virus checker, for one, was quarantining Java first and asking questions later about a month ago. It targeted a portion of a download I had from Sun "just in case Open Office needed it"... Newer Sun java download was not quarantined by AVG, to the best of my knowledge.

2)Also be aware that MS went through some trials and tribulations on the Richedit dll (or whatever it's called) that underlies Wordpad in XP service pack 1. First they took away some Word 2-6/obsolete RTF capability from XP original release, and then they apparently put it back around the time of Service pack 2, (or so I inferred from reported FTM problems at the time.)

For a while, you could search out your computer for the original XP editor and use it in place of the then new SP1 Wordpad, but I think MS finally deleted all the old editors with the latest releases. I couldn't exactly duplicate this on my XP desktop, as I started with an XP SP 1 installation. It may be that you got caught in the middle of that little runaround, though.

Good luck,

John

Dale-

If your TMG file has been accumulating exhibits from Win 98 thru XP SP2 upgrades, and if you used no third party text editor or viewer as a host application to insert your text files, your quickest check to see if you have a Wordpad version problem might be to try a TMG 6.07 install on a Win 98SE or XP original release machine.

John

Dale-

If your TMG file has been accumulating exhibits from Win 98 thru XP SP2 upgrades, and if you used no third party text editor or viewer as a host application to insert your text files, your quickest check to see if you have a Wordpad version problem might be to try a TMG 6.07 install on a Win 98SE or XP original release machine.

John

I just uninstalled TMG 6.07 again and reinstalled from my 6.00 original CD. Guess what? Works perfectly with no errors (sample project). I'm going to try upgrading from 6.00 to 6.01 and see what that does. If it works I'll try upgrading to the other versions until I get to 6.07 and see where that leaves me. Dale

I just uninstalled TMG 6.07 again and reinstalled from my 6.00 original CD.  Guess what?  Works perfectly with no errors (sample project).  I'm going to try upgrading from 6.00 to 6.01 and see what that does. If it works I'll try upgrading to the other versions until I get to 6.07 and see where that leaves me.    Dale

Well, couldn't find the 6.01 upgrade. Had to upgrade back to the 6.07 and I'm now back where I started. The same GOMEDIAVIEWER error. Dale

Well, couldn't find the 6.01 upgrade. Had to upgrade back to the 6.07 and I'm now back where I started. The same GOMEDIAVIEWER error.    Dale

As a guess, do you use Norton Anti-virus? Have you disabled its script blocking features temporarily while running TMG?

Well, couldn't find the 6.01 upgrade. Had to upgrade back to the 6.07 and I'm now back where I started. The same GOMEDIAVIEWER error.    Dale

Dale-

Unless you typed every single bit of text into your exhibits, and started with "32 bit" TMG 5, is it possible that you have some old links to Winword.exe short filenames? If so, have you added a bunch of new Microsoft suites or applications so that windows got into the random number generating mode for short filemanes?

If so, it is possible that TMG is looking for an obsolete short filename, such as Micros~2, but the new shortfilename might be Mi1933~1? And that TMG 6.07 has some new error checking routines?

Nah. You didn't put any URL's in reference fields that TMG switched around or shortened between v 6.01 and v6.07, did you?

Well, if that's not it, but you might have, just once, used Wordpad to link or paste, try a search for Wordpad.exe on your Win XP "C" drive to see how many different versions of that application might be still there.

Then maybe have a look at your file associations in Windows Explorer for RTF, TXT, and perhaps even Doc files (if you violated TMG's warnings and linked a doc file as I just did and crashed both TMG and Word).

Good luck, again,

John

Dale-

Unless you typed every single bit of text into your exhibits, and started with "32 bit" TMG 5, is it possible that you have some old links to Winword.exe short filenames? If so, have you added a bunch of new Microsoft suites or applications so that windows got into the random number generating mode for short filemanes?

If so, it is possible that TMG is looking for an obsolete short filename, such as Micros~2, but the new shortfilename might be Mi1933~1? And that TMG 6.07 has some new error checking routines?

Nah. You didn't put any URL's in reference fields that TMG switched around or shortened between v 6.01 and v6.07, did you?

Well, if that's not it, but you might have, just once, used Wordpad to link or paste, try a search for Wordpad.exe on your Win XP "C" drive to see how many different versions of that application might be still there.

Then maybe have a look at your file associations in Windows Explorer for RTF, TXT, and perhaps even Doc files (if you violated TMG's warnings and linked a doc file as I just did and crashed both TMG and Word).

Good luck, again,

John

No URLs and I've only one version of wordpad.exe on my system. RTF & DOC are associated with Word 2003 and TXT is associated with Notepad. Thanks for the suggestions. Happy New Year! Dale

Edited by djsavell

Object GOMEDIAVIEWER is not found.    170FRMEXHIBIT.MVIEWEXHIBIT

Abort    Retry    Ignore

It will add an external text file but when I try to open it I get the same message.  At the suggestion of Tech Support, I completely uninstalled TMG and deleted the folders.  I downloaded a whole new copy and installed it from scratch with the same results above.  I tried creating a new project with all new data and still got the same error as above.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone else gotten this error?

Dale Savell

Woodbridge, Va

Dave-

Is it possible that you have installed the Google Video Viewer or some other free download with a similar sounding name, such as the Google Indexing utility that might be interfering with TMG 6.07?

It would seem that TMG support could have solved your problem if this is merely and internal text viewing problem. (I did play around with attaching doc files, generated from OpenOffice.org's Writer, with both MSWORD 2002 and OOo 2.0 associated as primary doc file opeinig application, but got no inspirations that way. Well, not unless your Word Normal.dot template is corrupted.)

It does also appear that somewhere along the line TMG slipped in new graphic image management software with included, but so far unused, metadata support. Perhaps there is some conflict with XP operating system and some 3rd party metadata indexing software occuring on your machine??

John

Dave-

Is it possible that you have installed the Google Video Viewer or some other free download with a similar sounding name, such as the Google Indexing utility that might be interfering with TMG 6.07?

It would seem that TMG support could have solved your problem if this is merely and internal text viewing problem. (I did play around with attaching doc files, generated from OpenOffice.org's Writer, with both MSWORD 2002 and OOo 2.0 associated as primary doc file opeinig application, but got no inspirations that way. Well, not unless your Word Normal.dot template is corrupted.)

It does also appear that somewhere along the line TMG slipped in new graphic image management software with included, but so far unused, metadata support. Perhaps there is some conflict with XP operating system and some 3rd party metadata indexing software occuring on your machine??

John

Yesterday I was only being halfway facetious by suggesting that the "GO" in the "GOMEDIAVIEWER" could be Google related. But I did find that if you want to find the dirt on "Google Desktop" indexing, search on Yahoo, and if you want to find the problems with MS Office/Word 2003 enterprise indexing, search Google.

It may be that it is better if TMG users avail themselves of no other 3rd party metadata or doc file content indexing schemes, including those in Windows XP, Google Desktop, Microsoft Office, and graphic viewers, such as Pixvue.

The amalgam of utilities that comprise TMG may be tied together in such a way that slowing things down with "realtime" indexing may be preventing TMG from locating data files in very large projects. Here are a couple of URLs for consideration. Also consider the more likely culprit, Word 2003's "improvements".

http://desktop.google.com/support/bin/answ...24755&topic=201

http://desktop.google.com/support/bin/answ...26471&topic=198

John M.

Guest PhilDee

Dale,

A couple of other users have reported similar errors. I haven't been able to duplicate their problems even using their data. The problem has been turned over to the develpers and they are digging into it.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Dale,

A couple of other users have reported similar errors.  I haven't been able to duplicate their problems even using their data.  The problem has been turned over to the develpers and they are digging into it.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Phil and Dale-

The links on the Google.com site seem to indicate that it is the totality of the number of *.doc or *.txt files on a local computer system that might run up against limits, and not just those included in the TMG database.

Google stated that earlier versions of their "Desktop" app did not index *.txt files.

John M.

Have you tried just ignoring the error message and then looking to see if the exhibit is there (that's what I do) and it seems to work.

John

Have you tried just ignoring the error message and then looking to see if the exhibit is there (that's what I do) and it seems to work.

John

Can't ignore the error. I've gone back to other files that I'd previously put in the exhibit before all this started and I can't open those anymore. Pictures work fine but not internal txt files. Funny thing is that when I went back and uninstalled 6.07 and reinstalled the original 6.00, it works fine. The error doesn't crop up until I load the 6.07 version. I haven't installed any new or funny software. Especially shareware. I got burned a year ago or so and ended up having to rebuild my computer from scratch because of spyware. Now I'm meticulous about what I put on my computer. I haven't installed any Google anything. And again, even if I had, 6.00 works. Even 6.01 worked. That is the version I upgraded from to get to 6.07. I have to say though that I keep my system updated with the latest dreaded Microsoft patches. It's possible that one of them is conflicting with 6.07 where it didn't with earlier versions. I searched Microsoft.com and ask.com for that error message without getting a single hit. Dale

Edited by djsavell

. . . .The error doesn't crop up until I load the 6.07 version.  I haven't installed any new or funny software. Especially shareware. I got burned a year ago or so and ended up having to rebuild my computer from scratch . . . .

Dale

Dale-

Just because you haven't added any "shareware" to your computer doesn't mean that the application developers also show such restraint.<g>

But first, if you want to try something simple, how about going into control panel and changing your Default printer to a different one on LPT1 on your main computer (no networked printers). Then close and open TMG to see what happens.

Then if that doesn't do anything, deletete the Wholly Genes PDF writer and any FTM (PDF) Printers. and toggle your default printer back and forth a couple of times. Then reopen TMG and see if anything changes.

John Moran

Dale and others-

Although this error seemed quite similar to a Norton (2000?) Anti-virus script blocking error reported by FTM (9?) users with Word 2000 linking a few years back, I threw out every other concept I could think of in my various postings.

Since Dale is the only one who has publicly reported the problem, and since TMG support reportedly could not duplicate it with his database, and since Dale has also reported a high concern for security measures following previous unpleasant experiences, it seemed that it might be time to revisit "script blocking" or firewall blocking of certain ports, including printer ports?

Anybody have any thoughts on those lines, so that TMG support could at least find the problem and work around it?

John M.

Hello John,

I see I'm not the only one pondering this problem today. I went back to the Sept 7 newsletter announcing the 6.02 release (when the problem apparently started), looking for changes or fixes which might have (inadvertantly) impacted text files in the exhibit log. I found several fixes to the exhibit log, but none of them stood out as potential culprits; you might take a look at the newsletter and see if you spot anything.

Is the printer relevent to the text display because of the 'print to screen' effect? Are you thinking there is a conflict with a script being blocked in a third-party viewer?

We have had odd problems in tmg where the default printer was on a network. Dale has not indicated he is on a network or that his files are on a separate drive.

Dale, have you checked the error.txt file in your main tmg folder to see if there is a second line to that error message - one that does not appear on screen? Also, if you haven't already, check the error log in C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log for hidden errors that might have occurred at the same time (they are all time stamped).

Virginia

Hello John,

I see I'm not the only one pondering this problem today.  I went back to the Sept 7 newsletter announcing the 6.02 release (when the problem apparently started), looking for changes or fixes which might have (inadvertantly) impacted text files in the exhibit log.  I found several fixes to the exhibit log, but none of them stood out as potential culprits; you might take a look at the newsletter and see if you spot anything.

Is the printer relevent  to the text display because of the 'print to screen' effect?   Are you thinking there is a conflict with a script being blocked in a third-party viewer?

We have had odd problems in tmg where the default printer was on a network.  Dale has not indicated he is on a network or that his files are on a separate drive.

Dale, have you checked the error.txt file in your main tmg folder to see if there is a second line to that error message - one that does not appear on screen?  Also, if you haven't already, check the error log in C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log for hidden errors that might have occurred at the same time (they are all time stamped).

Virginia

This is the Error.txt file from TMG just created as I made it error a few times.

2006.01.20, 18:01:19 1923Object GOMEDIAVIEWER is not found. 170 FRMEXHIBIT.MVIEWEXHIBIT

2006.01.20, 18:01:23 1File 'd:\program files\the master genealogist\sample\sample__' does not exist. 138 FRMOLE.M_INIT

2006.01.20, 18:01:25 1923Object GOMEDIAVIEWER is not found. 170 FRMEXHIBIT.MVIEWEXHIBIT

2006.01.20, 18:08:02 1923Object GOMEDIAVIEWER is not found. 170 FRMEXHIBIT.MVIEWEXHIBIT

2006.01.20, 18:08:11 1File 'd:\program files\the master genealogist\sample\sample__' does not exist. 138 FRMOLE.M_INIT

2006.01.20, 18:08:13 1923Object GOMEDIAVIEWER is not found. 170 FRMEXHIBIT.MVIEWEXHIBIT

This is the end of the VFP7RERR.LOG file

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000029 @ 2006.01.14 08:21:07 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

Called from - statusbar.minit line 13 {d:\program files\common\libs\mdi.vct d:\program files\common\libs\mdi.vct}

Called from - tmgappobj.rlchangedlayout_assign line 8 {d:\program files\common\libs\appobj.vct d:\program files\common\libs\appobj.vct}

Called from - screen.resize line 16 {d:\program files\the master genealogist\common\programs\screenhook.prg screenhook.fxp}

Called from - messagebox2 line 106 {d:\program files\the master genealogist\common\programs\messagebox2.prg messagebox2.fxp}

Called from - errorhandler line 23 {d:\program files\the master genealogist\common\programs\errorhandler.prg errorhandler.fxp}

Called from - ON... line 0 { }

Called from - frmole.m_init line 138 {d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct}

Called from - frmexhibit.mviewexhibit line 169 {d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct}

Called from - frmexhibit.timer1.timer line 2 {d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct}

Called from - tmgmain line 585 {d:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg d:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg.exe}

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000029 @ 2006.01.14 08:21:08 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

Called from - statusbar.minit line 13 {d:\program files\common\libs\mdi.vct d:\program files\common\libs\mdi.vct}

Called from - tmgappobj.rlchangedlayout_assign line 8 {d:\program files\common\libs\appobj.vct d:\program files\common\libs\appobj.vct}

Called from - screen.resize line 16 {d:\program files\the master genealogist\common\programs\screenhook.prg screenhook.fxp}

Called from - messagebox2 line 106 {d:\program files\the master genealogist\common\programs\messagebox2.prg messagebox2.fxp}

Called from - errorhandler line 23 {d:\program files\the master genealogist\common\programs\errorhandler.prg errorhandler.fxp}

Called from - ON... line 0 { }

Called from - frmole.m_init line 138 {d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct}

Called from - frmexhibit.mviewexhibit line 169 {d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct}

Called from - frmexhibit.timer1.timer line 2 {d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct d:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct}

Called from - tmgmain line 585 {d:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg d:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg.exe}

Dale

Edited by djsavell