djsavell

Exhibits Error

Thank you, Dale!  Maybe that will provide a clue for tech support. 

I notice tmg is on the d: drive.  Is this a partitition of your hard drive, and are the exhibits on that same drive?

Virginia

FWIW, this Microsoft KB article on files (folders) and file path length and deletion popped up in a Google search. It might come in handy before all the problems are solved.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081

Additionally, I personnaly ran into a seemingly unrelated file deletion problem recently when trying to delete linked jpg files from a folder used for testing TMG Journal Report Exports to MSWord and OOo Writer. The files kept multiplying like rabbits when I held down certain keys and tried to do a mass delete. Then I had problems deleting them singly, but finally succeeded (apparently).

As to my suggestion a few posts above about toggling printer drivers, it was a "grasping at straws" suggestion. But from Dale's last post above, it might not hurt to do a Search for files or folders names with the word "common" included.

Then, after doing another uninstall of TMG, but before doing a reinstall, another search for "common" might be in order, followed by some judicious deletions. Then compare, on a character by character basis, the file names containing trailing underscores__ in the TMG folder vs. the error messages.

Also downloading and running AVG anti-virus checker, which might find something new, shouldn't hurt as long as the regular virus checker is disabled temporarily. Yesterday's AVG download was unusually robust.

John

Guest PhilDee
Then, after doing another uninstall of TMG, but before doing a reinstall, another search for "common" might be in order, followed by some judicious deletions. Then compare, on a character by character basis, the file names containing trailing underscores__ in the TMG folder vs. the error messages.

Also downloading and running AVG anti-virus checker, which might find something new, shouldn't hurt as long as the regular virus checker is disabled temporarily. Yesterday's AVG download was unusually robust.

John

John and any one else!

I cannot stress strongly enough DO NOT DELETE or RENAME ANYTHING IN THE PROJECTS FOLDER. If you suspect that a file in the projects folder or any other TMG folder for that matter is incorrectly named then contact tech support. If you see a file in your folders that you don't understand or know what it does, CONTACT TECH SUPPORT. Computer applications are like a house of cards. Move one in the wrong place and the whole thing comes tumbling down. "Judicious" editing is likely to make my job more daunting than it already is trying to keep up with the issues the programmers provide us with. Let's keep user introduced problems to a minimum.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support.

John and any one else!

I cannot stress strongly enough DO NOT DELETE or RENAME ANYTHING IN THE PROJECTS FOLDER.  If you suspect that a file in the projects folder or any other TMG folder for that matter is incorrectly named then contact tech support.  If you see a file in your folders that you don't understand or know what it does, CONTACT TECH SUPPORT.  Computer applications are like a house of cards.  Move one in the wrong place and the whole thing comes tumbling down.  "Judicious" editing is likely to make my job more daunting than it already is trying to keep up with the issues the programmers provide us with.  Let's keep user introduced problems to a minimum.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support.

Phil-

Perhaps this whole thread should just be "judiciously" deleted, as it is apparently unique to one individual's problems.

I'll promise to be good and just use this forum for its intended purpose of occasionally checking on cruise information, etc., from now on.

john

Thank you, Dale!  Maybe that will provide a clue for tech support. 

I notice tmg is on the d: drive.  Is this a partitition of your hard drive, and are the exhibits on that same drive?

Virginia

The D drive is an 80gb partition of a 120gb drive. The other 40gigs are for the C drive. The data for my TMG resides on a 160gb E drive. As to the questions in your E-mail. I've never used Microsoft Document Imaging. It might come with Office 2003 but I've never used it. The error doesn't have anything to do with data I don't believe. Just the mere clicking on the exhibit tab for Internal Text sets off the error. I don't get a chance to input any data. If I click on External File and select a Word document then that part works fine. It is only in the Internal Text module of the program that the error occurs. The day the error occurred was the day I upgraded from 6.01 to 6.07. Nothing else changed. When I reloaded 6.00 from the CD, it worked just like it should using the sample database. But when I then re-upgraded to 6.07 the Sample Database no longer worked and I got the GOMEDIAVIEWER error. If I go to a record where I have previously input Internal Text, I can not open that exhibit. Pictures I have no problems with, only Internal Text. Dale

A couple weeks ago I upgraded from TMG 6.01 to 6.07. The first time I went to exhibits and tried to insert new text "internal text" I got an error message that states:

Object GOMEDIAVIEWER is not found.    170FRMEXHIBIT.MVIEWEXHIBIT

Abort    Retry     Ignore

It will add an external text file but when I try to open it I get the same message.

I've been been able to replicate the error. The updater appears to be causing the problem.

A couple of days ago, we surmised that the issue is that the activex control which contains the text viewer module is not properly registered and this is the source of the problem. The solution is to register the activex control.

I installed v6.00.000 and updated to v6.07.000. (This is the same updater that Dale used.)

I ran TMG, opened the Sample project and set the focus to Frank Alexander (1), opened the Exhibit Log and tried to view the text exhibit.

And got:

2006.01.26, 20:27:58 1923Object GOMEDIAVIEWER is not found. 170

FRMEXHIBIT.MVIEWEXHIBIT

Closed the Exhibit Log and exited TMG.

Opened the Command Prompt.

Changed to the system32 folder.

CD \windows\system32

Registered the activex control by typing:

regsvr32 richtx32.ocx

Hit [Enter].

Got the confirmatory prompt and exited the Command Prompt.

Ran TMG, opened the Exhibit Log and tested the text viewer.

The viewer now worked with no error.

I asked Dale to try this a couple of days ago and he said it didn't work. I've asked him to try again. Puzzled as to why the registration wouldn't work. :blink:

I've been been able to replicate the error. The updater appears to be causing the problem.

A couple of days ago, we surmised that the issue is that the activex control which contains the text viewer module is not properly registered and this is the source of the problem. The solution is to register the activex control.

I installed v6.00.000 and updated to v6.07.000. (This is the same updater that Dale used.)

I ran TMG, opened the Sample project and set the focus to Frank Alexander (1), opened the Exhibit Log and tried to view the text exhibit.

And got:

2006.01.26, 20:27:58      1923Object GOMEDIAVIEWER is not found.        170

FRMEXHIBIT.MVIEWEXHIBIT

Closed the Exhibit Log and exited TMG.

Opened the Command Prompt.

Changed to the system32 folder.

CD \windows\system32

Registered the activex control by typing:

regsvr32 richtx32.ocx

Hit [Enter].

Got the confirmatory prompt and exited the Command Prompt.

Ran TMG, opened the Exhibit Log and tested the text viewer.

The viewer now worked with no error.

I asked Dale to try this a couple of days ago and he said it didn't work. I've asked him to try again. Puzzled as to why the registration wouldn't work. :blink:

Jim-

May I respectfully ask what the meaning of "we" is? Over the past year or so, I have had a hard time figuring out which forum participants are "we', and which are "they", with "they" referring to Wholly Genes Inc. Posting privileges in the "pre-sales" forum by seemingly non-TMG personnel muddy thing up even more.

I have a particular interest, because on Monday, January 23, 2006, at 6:11 PM local PST, I sent a message to another TMG user, with a copy to Phil Dee of WhollyGenes, which included the following concerning this thread. It included the following "

(quote)

"(snip) So, is Dale's problem one of paths? Quite possibly......Or is it one of a missing "Media Viewer" DLL? Not likely? ......Or a missing or incorrect version of Riched*.dll or Richtx.ocx? Possibly....(snip)

Peace,

John" (unquote)

I just wondered about the timing. . . .

Peace,

John

Jim-

May I respectfully ask what the meaning of "we" is? Over the past year or so, I have had a hard time figuring out which forum participants are "we', and which are "they", with "they" referring to Wholly Genes Inc. Posting privileges in the "pre-sales" forum by seemingly non-TMG personnel muddy thing up even more.

I have a particular interest, because on Monday, January 23, 2006, at 6:11 PM local PST, I sent a message to another TMG user, with a copy to Phil Dee of WhollyGenes, which included the following concerning this thread. It included the following "

(quote)

"(snip) So, is Dale's problem one of paths? Quite possibly......Or is it one of a missing "Media Viewer" DLL? Not likely? ......Or a missing or incorrect version of Riched*.dll or Richtx.ocx? Possibly....(snip)

"We" in my message refers to the programmer responsible for the Exhibit Log and myself.

I have talked to Phil about Dale's problem but was totally unaware of the email you copied to him and of what it had to say.

Phil is in Support and works for Wholly Genes. I'm not in Support and don't work for Wholly Genes.

I can respond to Pre-Sales topics since I'm a moderator and often do. Sometimes, I say that my response is not an official Wholly Genes response and sometimes I neglect to do it (and should state that).

OK? :)

Guest PhilDee
"We" in my message refers to the programmer responsible for the Exhibit Log and myself.

I have talked to Phil about Dale's problem but was totally unaware of the email you copied to him and of what it had to say.

Phil is in Support and works for Wholly Genes. I'm not in Support and don't work for Wholly Genes.

I can respond to Pre-Sales topics since I'm a moderator and often do. Sometimes, I say that my response is not an official Wholly Genes response and sometimes I neglect to do it (and should state that).

OK?  :)

John,

I didn't respond to your message because of the timing. By the time I had digested your comments Jim and the programmers were all ready pursuing that avenue.

Jim,

Just to keep the forum up to date. I talked with another user I've been working with on this problem. She tried registering the .ocx as well with no success. I also spoke with Dale yesterday. He installed V6.0 on his wife's computer and using the sample project didn't have the error. He then updated to V6.07 and again using the Sample DID have the error. Registering the .ocx had no effect.

I think we're in the ball park at least.

Phil

Yep. Just about what I expected. Wouldn't have commented, except for the "we" on this thread, followed by the "I" on the other.

I grew up halfway between the Southern and the Southwestern United States. When we said, "You", we meant one person. When we said. "You all", It seemed to indicate three or more. In between, I dunno. :(

But back on the topic of Dale's computer with Word 2003, does he also have Access? In my layman's web surfing earlier this week, I ran across something about Access 2003 screwing up Richtx file installations.

Seemed to be with Access at the developer level, not the typical layman user level of Access. Dunno. Didn't understand it, so didn't mention it before. Didn't want to post publicly on this thread at the time.

John

Yep. Just about what I expected. Wouldn't have commented, except for the "we" on this thread, followed by the "I" on the other.

I grew up halfway between the Southern and the Southwestern United States. When we said, "You", we meant one person. When we said. "You all", It seemed to indicate three or more. In between, I dunno.  :(

But back on the topic of Dale's computer with Word 2003, does he also have Access? In my layman's web surfing earlier this week, I ran across something about Access 2003 screwing up Richtx file installations.

Seemed to be with Access at the developer level, not the typical layman user level of Access. Dunno. Didn't understand it, so didn't mention it before. Didn't want to post publicly on this thread at the time.

John

Do I have MS-Access? Is the Access affecting the Richtx32.ocx file? What about Word 2003? Do I have Anti-Virus running? These are all moot points? The only thing to change on my computer is TMG. Version 6.01 worked. 6.07 does not. It isn't my computer that has changed. It is something in TMG. Perhaps TMG's reaction to MS-Access changed from 6.01 to 6.07. Dale

Dale-

Perhaps your house of cards on your D:\ drive, as evidenced by your posting of 20 Jan has indeed fallen down as Phil warned. There may be something unique about your D drive installation that has confused the TMG update process, including the possibility that you, yourself, inadvertently put your backup data files an incorrect, but similarly named Project/Program/Common path in order to install on D:\..

At the very least, you might look closely at the Windows folders named "Program", "Project(s)", "Common", and "Common File" in both Windows Explorer and the Registry, on both your computer and your wife's, on both the C:\ and D:\ drives to see if you can find any obvious clues from any differences.

Good luck,

John

This issue is some sort of code problem and has finally been tracked down and fixed. Dale has tested the fix and it resolved his issue with adding/viewing text exhibits. And the fix should be included in v6.08.000.

(Now John has to find something else to keep himself occupied. :D )

This issue is some sort of code problem and has finally been tracked down and fixed. Dale has tested the fix and it resolved his issue with adding/viewing text exhibits. And the fix should be included in v6.08.000.

(Now John has to find something else to keep himself occupied. :D )

I have been reading this thread with great interest, not the least because of the "there-and-back"-ing by 6 very knowledgeable TMG'ers.

The thread started by "disavelli" developed into a real - dare I say it - non-TMG related technical problem of the sort we are not used to and as one read the replies it became more and more complicated for me at least. So it was with some relief that I read Jim Byram's reply that it had now been fixed.

What was noticeable was how quiet it was from the normal solution solving brigade and this is what worries me. By this I do not mean to slight anyone of those who go out of their way to help us.

But just supposing it had been me who had this problem. I'm not computer illiterate but could I have worded the problem in the right way, would it have attracted the attention of those whose TMG technical knowledge is way above my own or would it have just lain on the shelf. Given the fact that the problem has appeared so infrequently, I suspect so.

But the problem was solved but it took the best part of 2 months to sort it out. That meant Disavelli could not apparently enter any data.

Horrors! I think I would have thrown a wobbly!

Dave

I have been reading this thread with great interest, not the least because of the "there-and-back"-ing by 6 very knowledgeable TMG'ers.

The thread started by "disavelli" developed into a real - dare I say it - non-TMG related technical problem of the sort we are not used to and as one read the replies it became more and more complicated for me at least. So it was with some relief that I read Jim Byram's reply that it had now been fixed.

What was noticeable was how quiet it was from the normal solution solving brigade and this is what worries me. By this I do not mean to slight anyone of those who go out of their way to help us.

But just supposing it had been me who had this problem. I'm not computer illiterate but could I have worded the problem in the right way, would it have attracted the attention of those whose TMG technical knowledge is way above my own or would it have just lain on the shelf. Given the fact that the problem has appeared so infrequently, I suspect so.

But the problem was solved but it took the best part of 2 months to sort it out. That meant Disavelli could not apparently enter any data.

Horrors! I think I would have thrown a wobbly!

Dave

I want to thank everyone who helped in resolving this problem. I didn't stop inputing data during this episode. I was merely unable to attach any internal text files or read the already existing files. But now that I am running version 6.07.976 I am back in good shape. As far as I'm concerned, the repair mechanism at TMG worked wonderfully. That they took the time to fix a problem that was reportedly only affecting 2 people that I know of is a real tribute to the programmers at TMG and to the very knowledgable users group that worked with me. Thanks again to all. Dale