KathleenC

Multiple periods

Searching the TMG Rootsweb list, I see there have been lots of problems with errant punctuation, but could not find an answer for my problem. :(

Is there anything obvious in this sentence structure to cause 3 periods at the end of the sentence?

[P] <was|and [PO] were> probably married <[D]> <[L]>. This estimate is based on the average marriage age of 25<and [M]>.

Also, my census tag sentences are now printing with 8-9 periods, which seems to correspond with the number of witnesses (others in the household).

It's been a while since I printed reports using these tags, but I don't recall having this problem before. I'm using v6.07, but started my file several versions back.

I have encountered multiple periods when I end a sentence in a memo field with a period (Full stop for your Brits). The sentence definition adds a period. I now make it a policy to never end a sentence in a Memo field with a period. The same is true for several other fields as well. Let the software end the sentence.

Hope this helps,

Rob Roy

Is there anything obvious in this sentence structure to cause 3 periods at the end of the sentence?

[

I have encountered multiple periods when I end a sentence in a memo field with a period (Full stop for your Brits).  The sentence definition adds a period.  I now make it a policy to never end a sentence in a Memo field with a period.  The same is true for several other fields as well.  Let the software end the sentence.

Hope this helps,

Rob Roy

Thanks for the response, Rob Roy. I should have corrected that in my example -- it's the first thing I tried. I removed it, put it back, rebuilt the sentence, tried "--" where sentences were not needed -- nothing worked.

I did the same with the census tags where I'm getting so many in a row -- it has to have something to do with the number of witnesses.

I also ran all the file utilities. :(

Kathleen

Kathleen,

It would help a lot if you could post examples of the:

1. Sentence you are using,

2. the data in the fields used by the sentence, and

3. the output you are getting.

Trying to diagnose the probem without that information is difficult.

Kathleen,

It would help a lot if you could post examples of the:

1. Sentence you are using,

2. the data in the fields used by the sentence, and

3. the output you are getting.

Trying to diagnose the probem without that information is difficult.

Sorry, Terry, of course you are right.

Here's the sentence:

[P] <was|and [PO] were> probably married <[D]> <[L]>. This estimate is based on the average marriage age of 25<and [M]>

There is one citation. There are no witnesses, and nothing in the place fields except "-England"

The memo data:

the birth of their first child circa 1855

The output:

He and Mary [Cooper] (2221) were probably married

circa 1854. This estimate is based on the average marriage age of 25 and

the birth of their first child circa 1855. . .

The output with sources (there is only one citation):

This estimate is based on the average marriage age of

25 and the birth of their first child circa 1855.3 .4 .5

Kathleen

Searching the TMG Rootsweb list, I see there have been lots of problems with errant punctuation, but could not find an answer for my problem.  :( 

[P] <was|and [PO] were> probably married <[D]> <[L]>. This estimate is based on the average marriage age of 25<and [M]>. 

Also, my census tag sentences are now printing with 8-9 periods, which seems to correspond with the number of witnesses (others in the household). 

It's been a while since I printed reports using these tags, but I don't recall having this problem before. I'm using v6.07, but started my file several versions back.

I started getting this, or at least two or three points, mostly in marriage tag sentences but occasionally elsewhere, several versions back of TMG. St. Barbara suggested I send her my database, but this was back in the days of a dial up connection so I didn't bother. I eagerly await the pearls of wisdom from the ancients here :rolleyes: