csk1952

Linking Exhibits to Multiple Individuals

I'm wanting to link an exhibit to multiple individuals. Is there a way to do this without adding the exhibit and description over-and-over again for each person? The exhibit is a group photo and I want to link it to each of the persons in the picture. Thanks for any help -- Carol

I create a custom tag "Family Photo" and have all the folk pictured as witnesses. Attach the exhibit to the tag and you're done. As you can define witness roles and sentences as well; you can also have comments incorporated like bride, groom etc and even "wearing enormous hat standing in back row"

I tried attaching the photo to a tag, but it only appears for the primary person. When I go to the other persons (witnesses) it does not have the photo attached. Maybe I am not doing it correctly. I created the tag and then as I assign the tag to an individual, I add the photo and add the witnesses. Is there another way to do this? Thanks for your help -- Carol

I first create a custom tag - e.g. Tolley family photo. Within that tag I create a new role "Photographed with"

Then go to a person who appears in the photo (I usually pick someone who is central) and attach the Tolley Family photo tag to that person. I add date and location details in the appropriate place fields and other bits and pieces in memo field, and citation details as appropriate. Then go to exhibit log icon and attach the image file.

Then go to the witness tab and add another person who appears in the photo. I change the role from the default "witness" to "Photographed with". And that's that. If you go to PV of the second person the tag shows up as Tolley Family photograph and the Name/Place displays as Photographed with; central person; and opening that witness tag allows you to open the exhibit log for the photo.

Thanks, I now understand how you're doing it. It's a little different than what I would like to do. I would like the picture linked to each person so that when I export the person the picture exports as well.

Thanks, I now understand how you're doing it. It's a little different than what I would like to do. I would like the picture linked to each person so that when I export the person the picture exports as well.

I'm not sure that's possible yet. There are some imperfections in how TMG handles photos for witnesses (at least, those of us who use this technique for group photos consider it an imperfection, and I don't think anyone has come up with a better way to do group photos).

I have been hunting for such a solution but have a small problem. I am trying to follow the suggestion, but get an error message when I try and use the new tag type that I set up.

The error appears in a small pop up window titled: "The Master Genealogist" and says:

"Unknown member CNTWITNESS. 1 FRMEVENTS.MCHECKEXISTINGROLES

and then has [Abort] [Retry] [ignore] buttons.

If I continue, there is no witness tab for the event to add other individuals, and no obvious answer in the help file.

I am a relatively new user and suspect that I have missed something when I created the new tag type. Is it possible to get more detailed info on the various elements of the new tag type. :wacko:

Note: I just upgraded from UK v6.0.0 to v6.07.00

Good news. Another post mentioned the "Unknown member CNTWITNESS ..." error could be avoided by changing edit mode from 'Beginner' to 'Advanced'.

Both problems solved, and quickly. :D Many thanks

the "witness tag" does not solve the basic problem here, though it is definitely useful in certain cases. . aside from a photo; it would be desirable to be able to attach a depiction of family arms to each member of the appropriate family. the arms then pops up in the image box. a great addition for dark ages relatives born before george eastman. right now, i can see no way of adding this other than one at a time. a macro would be nice, where you could type in the list of id numbers and then have the tag creation or exhibit assignment performed for each on the list. alan

the "witness tag" does not solve the basic problem here, though it is definitely useful in certain cases. .  aside from a photo; it would be desirable to be able to attach a depiction of family arms to each member of the appropriate family.  the arms then pops up in the image box.  a great addition for dark ages relatives born before george eastman.  right now, i can see no way of adding this other than one at a time.  a macro would be nice, where you could type in the list of id numbers and then have the tag creation or exhibit assignment performed for each on the list.  alan

I agree (don't forget tartans and notes). Recommended mechanics:

A simple way (for the user) is to expand the funtionality of the F3 key. Currently, if you are editing a field in a tag, pressing F3 places the last entered value of that field type in the field.

If you are not editing a tag, just make the F3 key create a copy of the last tag or exhibit that was edited in the open person's record.

Even better wishes,

Mike Talbot

Good news. Another post mentioned the "Unknown member CNTWITNESS ..." error could be avoided by changing edit mode from 'Beginner' to 'Advanced'.

Both problems solved, and quickly. :D  Many thanks

If you want to enhance the use of the picture when you use the project for a web site, map it for the individuals included (see the group picture at http://www.rgcle.com/SS/p1.htm#i20 - run the cursor over a face and click). To do this use Cardinal's TMG utility and follow the directions at http://www.johncardinal.com/tmgutil/editimagemap.htm

Dick

Edited by RGC

If you want to enhance the use of the picture when you use the project for a web site, map it for the individuals included (see the group picture at http://www.rgcle.com/SS/p1.htm#i20 - run the cursor over a face and click). To do this use Cardinal's TMG utility and follow the directions at http://www.johncardinal.com/tmgutil/editimagemap.htm 

Dick

Dick,

You continue to impress me with your use of the several tools available in and around TMG. Thank you for this idea. I looked at your web site and will use the image map concept on a CD I'm committed to make for about 60 family members. Needless to say there are several group photos and I'll apply image mapping to several of them . Thanks to you.

Paul Lund

Hillsboro, Oregon

Yes, Dick, thanks for the reminder! I can't wait to try this.

Karla Huebner

Dick,

You continue to impress me with your use of the several tools available in and around TMG. Thank you for this idea. I looked at your web site and will use the image map concept on a CD I'm committed to make for about 60 family members. Needless to say there are several group photos and I'll apply image mapping to several of them . Thanks to you.

Paul Lund

Hillsboro, Oregon