I have a file server which holds all of my data. Sometimes I work on the console, and sometimes I work on my laptop and my wife also has a laptop. The project file is on a shared drive and we can each access it. The problem is that the project has source documents with exhibits in the log which I have painstakenly scanned. However, each time I scan a document, it stores it in the local Pics folder under C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist. I want the pictures to be kept with the project files. This will avoid problems when moving/migrating/distributing the project file to others.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Also, I think it would make more sense to have a relative path for the images based upon the project location:

E.g.

..\pics\ma_and_pa.jpg

NOT

C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\pics\ma_and_pa.jpg

That way, no matter where you move the project data, the images can be referenced.

Also, I think it would make more sense to have a relative path for the images based upon the project location:

E.g.

..\pics\ma_and_pa.jpg

NOT

C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\pics\ma_and_pa.jpg

That way, no matter where you move the project data, the images can be referenced.

Under Preferences>Current Project Options>Advance you can designate the folder for Exhibits for the current project....

Under Preferences>Current Project Options>Advance you can designate the folder for Exhibits for the current project....

Actually though, there is a problem in that the reference path for the items I have already scanned is not changed. I.e. if I scanned ma_and_pa.jpg and saved it as c:\program files\the master genealogist\pics\ma_and_pa.jpg, changing the path to, say, G:\Genealogy\pics has no effect. The exhibit still points to the path on C:

It would be pretty damn ridiculous if I had to go back through and change the path for every single exhibit I have scanned thusfar. This is another reason for my assertion that there should be relative paths rather than absolute.

-D

Actually though, there is a problem in that the reference path for the items I have already scanned is not changed.  I.e. if I scanned ma_and_pa.jpg and saved it as c:\program files\the master genealogist\pics\ma_and_pa.jpg, changing the path to, say, G:\Genealogy\pics has no effect.  The exhibit still points to the path on C:

It would be pretty damn ridiculous if I had to go back through and change the path for every single exhibit I have scanned thusfar.  This is another reason for my assertion that there should be relative paths rather than absolute.

-D

There is way by using a feature of VFI (Verify File Integrity) under File > Maintenance to get TMG to update all the paths. I cannot recount the details (from memory) but I am sure someone else will reply with details. There is also a tool called Pathwiz! that is designed to handle these kinds of problems.

However, my main reason for replying is -

- making the paths relative does solve the problem for all cases, it just makes other cases impossible.

Ideally, the user should be able to use absolute or relative paths (relative to what - it is not always the project folder you know!). If a user keeps his images on a DVD then it needs to be an absolute path, if he keeps them in a picture store on another drive it could be relative to base folder, or it could be relative to the project folder itself, or to the TMG install folder.

I don't dis agree that relative path would useful but the user needs to be able to also set that base folder for that relative action.