tdsmith

Abend when "checking for New Code"

:( Just loaded up 6.7 code, and when I went to check for updates, the entire program died. (3 times) I checked my usual TMG options, and I cannot find the usual "Check for Updates" option on the menu either. HELP

:( Just loaded up 6.7 code, and when I went to check for updates, the entire program died.  (3 times) I checked my usual TMG options, and I cannot find the usual "Check for Updates" option on the menu either.    HELP

6.07 is the latest build so you are up to date at the moment.

Where are you looking for Check for an update on the menus? It is via the Help option on the menu.

When you say the program died what did it do? Have you tried Window, Centre current window in case it's hiding behind something else.

:starwars:

:( Just loaded up 6.7 code, and when I went to check for updates, the entire program died.  (3 times) I checked my usual TMG options, and I cannot find the usual "Check for Updates" option on the menu either.    HELP

When you use Help > Check for an Update, TMG will close temporarily while it checks. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of when you say it 'dies'. An update message will appear with a Next button to continue the update check.

After TMG has checked for the most current update, if you have already have it, you wll receive a message to that effect in a small box in the center of the screen. Click OK and TMG will reopen.

Are you not getting the box with the OK button?

Virginia

When you use Help > Check for an Update, TMG will close temporarily while it checks.  Perhaps that is what you are thinking of when you say it 'dies'.  An update message will appear with a Next button to continue the update check.

After TMG has checked for the most current update, if you have already have it, you wll receive a message to that effect in a small box in the center of the screen.  Click OK and TMG will reopen.

Are you not getting the box with the OK button?

Virginia

Exactlly correct. No box to say I have the latest code, and no restart of TMG when it is complete. I've checked for a window elsewhere, and I cannot find anything, I just have to manually restart TMG. I've checked the task Manager as well and nothing from TMG is running under "applications" or in "processes"... TMG is just shut down. PS. I am not receiving any email notification of replies either... Is this system broken? --- Terry

Exactlly correct.  No box to say I have the latest code, and no restart of TMG when it is complete.  I've checked for a window elsewhere, and I cannot find anything, I just have to manually restart TMG.  I've checked the task Manager as well and nothing from TMG is running under "applications" or in "processes"... TMG is just shut down.  PS.  I am not receiving any email notification of replies either...  Is this system broken?  --- Terry

It sounds like tmg isn't completing the check. Are you online when you Check for an Update? If not, try going online first.

This is a longshot, but in Preferences > Program Options > Other, change the option 'Send URLs to the browser with backslashes' from whatever the setting is now.

Virginia

PS.  I am not receiving any email notification of replies either...  Is this system broken?  --- Terry

Terry

When you create/reply there are 3 boxes beneath your input

Enable emoticons

Enable signature

Enable email notification of replies

Ensure the third one is ticked

Edited by jeffpiper

I have had this experience on a client's XP machine. I found that I could not use "Check for Update" with the same symptoms that you are reporting. That machine is part of a multi-machine multi-site network run be a group of medical practices.

I suspect that the security systems prevented the right signals to get in or out of that environment. There may be specific Ports that must be allowed access in or out on a firewall for this "Check for Update" to work. It would be useful to know whether this is true or not.

It could also be true that the user login is not an admin privileged account. Either way I don't think this is a TMG problem, but the way that the computing environment around TMG has been set up or protected.

It could also be true that the user login is not an admin privileged account.

It's true that you cannot use "Check for Update" from an account that's not an administrator. But it doesn't sound to me like that's what's happening here. When I tried that I got an error message listing a number of possible reasons for the error and provides a button to connect to the update page on the WG site to update manually. Doesn't sound like what's described above.

Strange, I just posted a 2 line reply that has not appeared :wacko:

However, after TMG closes, no new "Check for updates to the The Master Genealogist" window opens. It just dies.