RGC

Restoring to a removable drive

This is a repeat of a posting on the tMG list that received no useful response:

I tried to restore a backup to my drive H - a removable "disk". When I chose that drive a pop-up said "Wrong destination path." I see nothing in the help system that tells me why that shouldn't work. Why doesn't it?

Dick

This is a repeat of a posting on the tMG list that received no useful response:

I tried to restore a backup to my drive H - a removable "disk".  When I chose that drive a pop-up said "Wrong destination path."  I see nothing in the help system that tells me why that shouldn't work.  Why doesn't it?

Dick

Dick-

I am assuming you are on the XP operating system, and not Linux this time??<g>

My computer showed the same message, "Wrong Destination Path", on an initial attempt to restore a sqz file from a backup on the root of "Flash Drive F" to a newly created folder on Flash Drive F. But after a little mousing around with the back and next buttons, as well as changing the path in Preferences, it did restore the Sample file to the flash media folder on drive F. I did not have a convenient way to try the letter H, which would be a different memory type with my 9 in 1 USB adapter.

As a further test, when opening TMG with the flash media disconnected, TMG properly greyed out the Last File option for startup.

John

Dick-

My computer showed the same message, "Wrong Destination Path", on an initial attempt to restore a sqz file from a backup on the root of  "Flash Drive F" to a newly created folder on Flash Drive F. But after a little mousing around with the back and next buttons, as well as changing the path in Preferences, it did restore the Sample file to the flash media folder on drive F. I did not have a convenient way to try the letter H, which would be a different memory type with my 9 in 1 USB adapter.

As a further test, when opening TMG with the flash media disconnected, TMG properly greyed out the Last File option for startup.

John

First, I asked "why does it?" There must be some rule somewhere that explains it.

Next, John, could you explain the"little mousing around"? Perhaps that's a clue to the rule that I'm looking for.

FYI I achieved my goal by simply restoring to a folder on the C drive and copying the project to the H (flash) drive. So my search here is not for a solution per se, but for an understanding of the rule that TMG applies, in case it has some other application.

Dick

Dick

. .  .

Next, John, could you explain the"little mousing around"?  Perhaps that's a clue to the rule that I'm looking for.

Dick

Dick-

There are no rules in mousing around!

I have previously suggested that beta testers set up a video camera to record keyboard and mouse actions, . . . but I am not a beta tester. . . and I don't remember exactly.

John

I tried to restore a backup to my drive H - a removable "disk".  When I chose that drive a pop-up said "Wrong destination path."  I see nothing in the help system that tells me why that shouldn't work.  Why doesn't it?

I tried this with a flash drive and got the same result. Will report it.

I tried this with a flash drive and got the same result. Will report it.

Gentlemen-

I decided to try a warm reboot with the Lexar 256mb "standard speed" Compact Flash media containing the TMG data and a few Canon jpg images still plugged into a CompUSA 9-in-1 $20 card reader.

I got an error meesage concerning the card reader application on shutdown, and the Computer never got past the MB bios memory check on reboot. It may be a little premature to jump to any conclusions about TMG workability if we all have similar setups.

The external card readers may be somewhat suspect and erratic in operation with databases, but can apparently be "tricked" into working with variations in mousing around in the restore operation.

John

Jim-

In further testing I cannot duplicate the restore operation to the 256mb Lexar Compact Flash Card, nor to a 1.0mb SanDisk UltraII Compact Flash card as Drive F. But the project data files from the initial "mousing" experiment definitely exist on the F drive, and I did not deliberately copy it from the C drive.

The card reader again appears to be operating correctly with either flash memory card, but this means I cannot again trick TMG into restoring files to it.

John

Dick-

My computer showed the same message, "Wrong Destination Path", on an initial attempt to restore a sqz file from a backup on the root of  "Flash Drive F" to a newly created folder on Flash Drive F. But after a little mousing around with the back and next buttons, as well as changing the path in Preferences, it did restore the Sample file to the flash media folder on drive F. I did not have a convenient way to try the letter H, which would be a different memory type with my 9 in 1 USB adapter.

John

Is this not due to the ability of XP to re-allocate drive letters when a drive is removed/changed. I too find that my second hard drive (Drive L usually) often changes if I have added or removed a flash drive. It would be nice to have a drive allocation box within the backup routine of TMG as well as in Options.

John

.... It would be nice to have a drive allocation box within the backup routine of TMG as well as in Options.

John

It's there. Uncheck"generate archive name automatically" and on the next page navigate to whatever drive and folder you want.

The problem I reported was not in the creation of a backup, but in the ability to restore to a different drive (such as one in a USB port).

Dick

Is this not due to the ability of XP to re-allocate drive letters when a drive is removed/changed. I too find that my second hard drive (Drive L usually) often changes if I have added or removed a flash drive. It would be nice to have a drive allocation box within the backup routine of TMG as well as in Options.

John

To John R.

From John M.

No, I had apparently screwed things up royally in Ram and who knows what else. It took at least three cold reboots to get back to "normal". Perhaps the virus checker was trying to protect the computer from scripting macros, but I saw no such indication. The $20 USB 2.0 multi format flash memory card controller may have been in play originally..

:(

To John R.

From John M.

No, I had apparently screwed things up royally in Ram and who knows what else. It took at least three cold reboots to get back to "normal". Perhaps the virus checker was trying to protect the computer from scripting macros, but I saw no such indication. The $20 USB 2.0 multi format flash memory card controller may have been in play originally..

:) I had an external USB HD . I had the same initial "wrong Destination Path" :angry: . I restarted the restore process and selected the path making sure all the folders I needed to use were already in place. It did then do a backup OK :) , but instead of the usual 50 mins it took 8 hours to complete :( .

I also have never been able to backup to my cdwritter directly :angry: , something I find frustrating.

I also have never been able to backup to my cdwritter directly :angry: , something I find frustrating.

Never actually tried a backup myself - for posterity that is - but if you haven't bought any new CD hardware in the last couple of years, do a search for "Mt. Ranier".

Then, if you upgrade, make sure you get DVD +/- drive capability in addition to Mt Ranier (or generic equivalent) CD packet writing R/W chipset firmware on the drive.... plus whatever else is state of the art....

Or so I've read...but not recently.

John M.

Never actually tried a backup myself - for posterity that is - John M.

Although reading up on Mount Rainier (not Ranier) UDF CD formatting can be informative for some users, it does not appear likely that TMG has any direct support for its use - and TMG may hang if you try.

Regrets. I thought from reading casually reading the TMG forum in years past that TMG had direct CD backup support. IMHO, from following the subject on onother active forum, NOT having this support is a GOOD idea.

John

Although reading up on Mount Rainier (not Ranier) UDF CD formatting can be informative for some users, it does not appear likely that TMG has any direct support for its use - and TMG may hang if you try.

Regrets. I thought from reading casually reading the TMG forum in years past that TMG had direct CD backup support.  IMHO, from following the subject on onother active forum, NOT having this support is a GOOD idea.

John

John

Is "NOT having this support is a GOOD idea" a typo that Should read

"NOTE having this support is a GOOD idea" ?

My file is approx 1.4 Gigabytes at present. Although I have reduced this a bit by moving some photos externally of the program. (The main reason I switched from FTM). I still have about 100 photos to shift to an external existence. But you can see it make sense to back it up to CD/DVD safe from Virus's and Disk Crashes. My Tree was started by my father some 10 years ago and to me, it represents alot of hard work and energy. I don't want to loose it .

Incidently I did loose 6 months work a while back. It was painful redoing all that work (even if I did have a road map to work to the second time). I now back up every time I finish, and back up to 3 other separate locations every month. I don't intend to loose that much info again.

My genealogy folder is approximately 15Gigabytes as this contains Census info and photos as well as word documents relating to my research. I have very little Hard copy records except for the BDM Certificates. I work mainly Electronically, even on visits to county record officies. I did try a couple of times implementing a manual record system. But I never found a system that suited me. The Electronic one did. Hence my emphasis on my backup's.

Laurence

John

Is "NOT having this support is a GOOD idea" a typo that Should read

"NOTE having this support is a GOOD idea" ?

Laurence

Laurance-

Win XP does not currently incorporate a standardized CD/DVD utility for packet writing in UDF.

But any TMG user with XP or Win 98 can backup any file from the hard drive to a CD or DVD disk with a couple of mouse clicks using the bundled software that came with the drive or the computer. Adding still another non-standard CD/DVD "backup" utility to TMG at this time would not necessarily make anyone's life all that much simpler.

Although I never use "InCD" brand CD/DVD UDF packet writing feature, I find that Ahead Nero software has installed an Icon on my Desktop SysTray for immediate disk formatting if I desire to do so.

If I want to burn a "regular" CD in, say, default "universal" Joliet format, I can open The Nero Burning software directly.

When burning in the CD/DVD UDF packet writing mode, drives incorporating the "Mount Rainier" firmware can format "on the fly", so that the entire disk need not be formatted ahead of time. But, as with all new "standards", some corporations win and some lose. Hence the delay by Microsoft in incorporating drag and drop UDF backup directly in the XP operating system.

Ref. http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/su...h&printer=False

John

Edited by John Moran